• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit...

I think the tdi conversion(or any engine conversion) is cool regardless if it's an 8 yo xj or a 24 yo(we're all xj lovers here). Even if it costs you $2K when all is said and done, if you ever wanted to sell just the engine, you'd get at least $1K, and I'm sure there's a VW or diesel head out there that would be willing to pay top dollar for an XJ with a TDI.

Depending on the cost of a "kit", I'd have some interest for a late model (99) XJ

Well, in my specific case, it's more an exercise in over-engineering something and logically dissecting the final product. People who can tow their rig to and from the trails, even I would keep it liquid-Barney powered. I figure if someone is going to build an overkill street/trail rig, might as well go overkill with the engine. I couldn't say how much it's going to cost yet, but I currently have a couple sources that I might be able to pick up what I need for cheap, at least for development. I might be able to source more if and when I develop a kit for sale. It might not make much sense for most people, but then again, it might make sense for many people as well.

So in other words, you don't really have anything to add to the topic other than "stay away from foreign junk", am I right? I'm going to assume so, which really doesn't bother me, because it's easy to ignore useless comments.

There you go again. I want to know how you think a VW diesel is Junk? A VW motor can hang with a Cummins in reliability and Emissions. Before you start typing do a little research! :doh:

Yea I agree, Cummins is still top dog in my book. But VW makes quality too. I wouldn't mind having either in my Jeep.

Yea I agree, Cummins is still top dog in my book. But VW makes quality too. I wouldn't mind having either in my Jeep.

I am all for the 4BT, got one in my CJ, and have a second originally intended to go into a Grand Wagoneer, now thinking XJ.

The biggest limitation to the 4BT IMO is the height of the engine, about 34" tall from bottom of oil pan to top of valve covers, add an intercooler and it becomes a bit taller.

My daily driver is a 2003 jetta TDI. I average 48 mpg, but it is slow. the engine is only rated at 90 HP from the factory.

The VW gets great fuel mileage, is extremely reliable, it's easy to work on and there is a strong aftermarket for it.

That said, the idea of that little 1.9 liter in a big heavy XJ with large tires makes me cringe. i just don't think the ALH engine makes the power needed. I would love a diesel XJ, and I love my TDI, just not together.

I think there are diesels that would be a better swap for the xj.

My daily driver is a 2003 jetta TDI. I average 48 mpg, but it is slow. the engine is only rated at 90 HP from the factory.

The VW gets great fuel mileage, is extremely reliable, it's easy to work on and there is a strong aftermarket for it.

That said, the idea of that little 1.9 liter in a big heavy XJ with large tires makes me cringe. i just don't think the ALH engine makes the power needed. I would love a diesel XJ, and I love my TDI, just not together.

I think there are diesels that would be a better swap for the xj.

Exactly! I can't wait until i can afford a TDI. I would like an 02-03 myself. Is yours a stick or auto? I have to have an auto and was just curious.

This guy has an extensive web page, but really didn't go too overboard with engine mods (injectors, intake, exhaust) and gets 140hp 260ft lbs at the wheels.

Power wouldn't be a problem. Adapting to NorthSouth orientation and electronics would be the hang up (and emissions if a street rig).

This guy has an extensive web page, but really didn't go too overboard with engine mods (injectors, intake, exhaust) and gets 140hp 260ft lbs at the wheels.

Power wouldn't be a problem. Adapting to NorthSouth orientation and electronics would be the hang up (and emissions if a street rig).

Damn, I don't need that much. Pretty sweet though. I was thinking Chip,exhaust and Intake and MAYBE some injectors and call it a day!

Have you ever seen that sticker that says " out of a job? keep buying foreign"

Cummins motors are top dog on reliable here in america. I dont care if the vw is reliable the parts are expensive and trying to mate it with a chrysler/dodge/jeep project is an American sin. I have a chevy in my jeep but its still american. Um not trying to start a political debate but your talking about like putting a honda motor in an old chevelle.

Hell if your going to try to swap a vw motor in there why dont you just put a 2jz supra motor twin turbo in there those motors can take 500+hp with out touching the internals.

When it comes down to it everybody lives in la la world where they throw ridiculous ideas and never does anything about it. But if you do be sure to post up. Good luck.

Exactly! I can't wait until i can afford a TDI. I would like an 02-03 myself. Is yours a stick or auto? I have to have an auto and was just curious.

mine is a stick, i hate automatics for everything except crawlin and towing. and now that my jeep is a stick the crawling part is even growing on me.

Have you ever seen that sticker that says " out of a job? keep buying foreign"

Cummins motors are top dog on reliable here in america. I dont care if the vw is reliable the parts are expensive and trying to mate it with a chrysler/dodge/jeep project is an American sin. I have a chevy in my jeep but its still american. Um not trying to start a political debate but your talking about like putting a honda motor in an old chevelle.

Hell if your going to try to swap a vw motor in there why dont you just put a 2jz supra motor twin turbo in there those motors can take 500+hp with out touching the internals.

When it comes down to it everybody lives in la la world where they throw ridiculous ideas and never does anything about it. But if you do be sure to post up. Good luck.

when Detroit pulls their head out of their ass and builds a commuter car in the States that is comfortable, reliable, has a ton of creature comforts and gets great fuel mileage i'll buy one.

instead they pump out cheap feeling junk that you are lucky to get 100k out of. ever sit in a cobalt? yuck. hell, even my mothers newer monte carlo SS felt cheap on the interior...well, until it's poor quality burned it to the ground.

Before my TDI i had a ford focus. great car with the exception of several recalls. designed in germany and built in Mexico....how did i supported the good ol' USA by buying it? At least toyota and honda actually build their cars here.

If it were my mission to put money back in the economy by buying a new car i would buy one that pays many americans to assemble it instead of paying an american CEO to outsource it.

enough OT though. hasta

Cummins motors are top dog on reliable here in america.

Try the world in most cases.

Oh but you bought your XJ and built it yourself! :rolleyes:

Nominated!

your right flexd i did build it myself. Who can prove not?

61 scout I dont care what vehicle you own it will have problems eventually new or used. 61 scout your point is very true about putting money back in the economy. The problem is other countries can make vehicle that are cheap and pay people to build them for cheap and are successful, but americans get paid alot of money to build and has a reletively good success and the price is jacked alot more then the foreign shit, other then the exception of bmw and a few others. Member the kia deal, buy one get one free? They did that so when the one car breaks you can take the parts off the other one.

O another addition to the foreign swap list a turbo wankel rotary.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine just made a billet adapter to put a 2.0 vw gas motor in front of a TH350, He would be able to make one for the diesel motor easy, put a TH350 or 400 behind it for overkill, it would a really cool swap.

Back