• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit...

I own and enjoy a GTi Volkswagen. I also frequent the forums at www.vwvortex.com I can't tell you exactly where I saw it but a few years back a fellow there did convert his Corrado to rear wheel drive using a T-5 trans. There is an adapter somewhere from europe that allows that. BTW Ford has used the Volkswagen VR6 engine for years and the SHO used a Yamaha??? engine. Chrysler used VW trannys in their minivans and other small cars and isn't the Rutan based on the Chrysler minivan??? Going foreign in an American car or truck isn't anything new. This should be a really cool swap and the weight savings should reall perk up the Cherokee. Keep planning and hopefully someone will do this!

I dont care if you think i built it or not. Just cause someone says something doesnt mean its always true.

The irony in this statement is mind boggling.

nominated 3x in this thread alone... there is an easy solution

I may have missed or forgot the price that would be on this kit, any wild guess as to an approximate price range?

I may have missed or forgot the price that would be on this kit, any wild guess as to an approximate price range?

Probably a bit early for that, but figure ballpark it to what aa charges for some mounts and adapters.

Im trying to give other options and giving blunt honest opinion on this swap.

I think it would be a great swap. My v8 xj gets 11mpg with a bad oxy sensor. If you could get 25mpg it would be a god send. But it would just be cheaper to buy another vehicle and save your money or spend it on necessities to get you through the trail (gears, winch, bumpers, tires, lift) and or just by a tow vehicle for that matter. Even if you did do the swap and planned to get rid of it you would loss your ass on it. Gotta look down the road also.
Cheaper to buy a second car? Um...well after purcahse price, you can factor in maintenance, more if you buy something cheap since it'll likely be old and ready to start getting new parts, insurance, registration, etc etc. If you can do this swap and get even just 25 mpg, and keep it around the price raiser was saying, it'd be cheaper to do this. As far as time and money...even your V8 swap cost someone a lot of time and money to figure out before it became a kit. And even then, you still talk about how the PO had something like $20k in receipts. Sounds like it still cost him a lot of money.

well whoever said it would cost 4000dollars to do the swap roughly. You can buy a damn good car for 3grand and spend 1000 on something on your rig. Even if you do get 25mpg it will take a long time to make up for all the gas money spent on your 16mpg 4liter and the 4000grand you put in your ride and thats if everything holds up and functions properly. I dont care how much you plan you will end up spending more then you thought in the long run.

Last edited:
4000 grand you put on your ride.

:roflmao:

I think I have a new sig quote.

well whoever said it would cost 4000dollars to do the swap roughly. You can buy a damn good car for 3grand and spend 1000 on something on your rig. Even if you do get 25mpg it will take a long time to make up for all the gas money spent on your 16mpg 4liter and the 4000grand you put in your ride and thats if everything holds up and functions properly. I dont care how much you plan you will end up spending more then you thought in the long run.

:doh: It never shuts up!

I welcomed OP and gave heads up @p.4, just so he wouldn't get a bad first impression of NAXJA.

Derail this thread? Ha no ones talking about the swap just pointing fingers at me and saying shit. Um 23 and i go to college and still afford toys and work fulltime. So yes give me a cookie. So lets act like mature adults and drop my v8 cherokee and my so called "attitude" that you people have created and get on with the thread. If you wanna start a hate thread about me and want to argue all the time i would glad to drop in the thread and retort all day long about my jeep and my attitude.

Honestly if your going to do the swap of a diesel why not just build a stroker 4.0 or put a v8 since everyone else has adapters and painless wiring kits. Why go through the hassle of swapping in something in that hasnt been proven? other then the fact no one has done it.

I know I am quoting you from 2 days ago, but seriously dude, coming from another 23 yo college student, you are a f-ing asshole. Stop making 23 year old college kids look bad.

No one cares about how nice your stuff is.... at all. I don't care if you have the "texting syndrome" where you can't spell; people think you are a re-tard just because you can't use proper spelling or syntax. I may misspell a little here and there, but I'm not stupid like you clearly are. You are likely the biggest asshole on this site, simply because you think rules dont apply to you, you brag about your stuff, and you think that people care about the complete BS that comes from your mouth.

Maybe just try to not talk for a while and see how that goes. I think you will find it beneficial.

And maybe since you have all this money from your fulltime job, you can use a little bit of it to become a paying member here at naxja and give back to the organization that hates you.... then you can rebuttle your nominations, since Im sure you dont know what that is anyhow.

End of my hijack, sorry PO. I think this swap would be killer, I dont know much about those engines, but diesel is definitely on my to-do list once I graduate in Dec.

I know I am quoting you from 2 days ago, but seriously dude, coming from another 23 yo college student, you are a f-ing asshole. Stop making 23 year old college kids look bad.

No one cares about how nice your stuff is.... at all. I don't care if you have the "texting syndrome" where you can't spell; people think you are a re-tard just because you can't use proper spelling or syntax. I may misspell a little here and there, but I'm not stupid like you clearly are. You are likely the biggest asshole on this site, simply because you think rules dont apply to you, you brag about your stuff, and you think that people care about the complete BS that comes from your mouth.

Maybe just try to not talk for a while and see how that goes. I think you will find it beneficial.

And maybe since you have all this money from your fulltime job, you can use a little bit of it to become a paying member here at naxja and give back to the organization that hates you.... then you can rebuttle your nominations, since Im sure you dont know what that is anyhow.

End of my hijack, sorry PO. I think this swap would be killer, I dont know much about those engines, but diesel is definitely on my to-do list once I graduate in Dec.

You sir are my Hero! :cheers:

I welcomed OP and gave heads up @p.4, just so he wouldn't get a bad first impression of NAXJA.

XJ92TDI, Please don't think this is a normal thing. We aren't always like this!

I know I am quoting you from 2 days ago, but seriously dude, coming from another 23 yo college student, you are a great guy that is honest. Stop making 23 year old college kids look so great.

No one cares about how nice my stuff is.... at all. I don't care if you have the "texting syndrome" where I can't spell; people think I am a re-tard just because I can't use proper spelling or syntax. I may misspell a little here and there, but I'm stupid like you clearly are not. I am likely the biggest asshole on this site, simply because you think rules dont apply to me, I brag about my stuff, and you think that people care about the complete BS that comes from my mouth.

Maybe just try to not talk for a while and see how that goes. I think you will find it beneficial. (thats borderline threat)

And maybe since I have all this money from my parttime job, I can use a little bit of it to become a paying member here at naxja and give back to the organization that hates me.... then I can rebuttle your nominations, since Im sure I dont know what that is anyhow.

End of my hijack, sorry PO. I think this swap would be killer, I dont know much about those engines, but diesel is definitely on my to-do list once I drop out in Dec.

Ahhh how sweet of you! All them nice compliments like I care what you say. Once again talking about my jeep. I want you to find one post in this thread where i brag about my jeep? If i recall i mentioned i have a chevy in it and i said it gets 11mpg. So i dont see where the bragging is at. Idk where you go to school but maybe you should drop out and take your money and do this swap and you can come brag to me all you want, dont bother my ego if somebody has something better then me. So its sounds like your jealous and yea cant let go of the things i said in past threads. Let it go! Now lets grow up boys and girls!:laugh3: PS proofread your quote

Once again back to being on topic. So the biggest problem with this swap is the tranny housing and in put shaft mating? Somebody needs to be firing up there cnc. If somebody actually made a kit and it gives 25mpg um sure it would sell faster then any v8 or stroker kit.

Last edited:
So the biggest problem with this swap is the tranny housing and in put shaft mating?

No because he is gonna use a "foriegn junk" Toyota trans that bolts right up.

Apparently you cain't read niether! Now, would you just go away because nobody likes you! You aren't helping with your smartass remarks.

nope cant read, but i sure can retort with smartass remarks pretty good cant I? So whats left to talk about on this swap if everyone got it figured out?

If you have noticed so far in this thread I did not once give a shity disrespectful remark to anyone unless they said something first.

Last edited:
Did you guys hear something? :eyes:

Being a watercooled VW fan myself, I've been lurking in this thread for a while...

I'm all for the innovation and I think it's a great idea. I really don't see this panning out though. I don't necessarily disagree that this is a fantasy swap thread. If the OP posted up some links to TDI swaps that he/she has done on VW's, I'd probably change my opinion. A TDI swap generally isn't considered an easy swap, what with all the aforementioned wiring issues.

read up:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=intitle:"tdi+swap"+site:vwvortex.com

Best of luck to the OP. If you end up making it a kit, you'll want adaptors plus a wiring harness. Otherwise it just won't be worth it for would-be customers.

Back