• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Prices

at EJS it was 2.35 at mavrick ,BUT I'M SURE IT WON'T LAST!!!!!!!!! and WHO can we thank????!!!1 not our oil companies, who are making BILLIONS in profits then they blame other countries for the high oil prices( as they laugh at us on their way to the bank) SO----- WHY DON'T WE HAVE MORE WE HAVE MORE OIL REFINERIES? WHY DOESN'T THE EPA ISSUE MORE PERMITS FOR REFINERIES? Aren't oil refineries important for us to have oil? Even OPEC offered to build us refineries and out government said no. OPEC says how was we give you more oil if you can't prossess it? OPEC has issued a statement that it should be $30 a barrel and then everyone would be happy...Wouldn't we?! So who's to blame...US or our GOVERNMENT?! The oil companies? I just had a few questions and would like to know the real truth!!!!!! :confused1 :gonnablow

Who is to blame?

Enviromentalists
NIMBY's
State and Local goverments
OSHA
EPA
and the list goes on...

This is that same people to blame for rolling blackouts, and high energy costs.

No one wants a refinery, power plant, transmisson lines, or anything where they can see it. The oil and power companies are in a tought spot...we want more...but we don't want it built in out 'hood.

JMHO

Rev

Rev Den said:
Who is to blame?

Enviromentalists
NIMBY's
State and Local goverments
OSHA
EPA
and the list goes on...

This is that same people to blame for rolling blackouts, and high energy costs.

No one wants a refinery, power plant, transmisson lines, or anything where they can see it. The oil and power companies are in a tought spot...we want more...but we don't want it built in out 'hood.

JMHO

Rev

WTF does OSHA and EPA have to do with this?

The main problem is the lobbyist working over the state governments.

Environmentalists/NIMBY's have been feeding the public horror stories. The NRC keeps safety and cleanlieness at the highest degree. Waste is extremely minimal and containable. People are terrified about things they don't know/understand about. When People think of nuclear, they think of ThreeMile Island and Chernobyl which are two disasters and they don't hear about all the good that nuclear has done. There are tons of plants out there including military that have done nothing but good but the news doesn't tell us that. :dunno:

Well...I never mentioned nuclear, living in Illinois I feel very fortunate to have the nuclear infrastructure that we do.

However....the EPA and OSHA are both overly restrictive agencies that, well they may do some good, only add to the rising cost of doing business.

Rev

Rev Den said:
However....the EPA and OSHA are both overly restrictive agencies that, well they may do some good, only add to the rising cost of doing business.

Rev

They do do good even though some of their restrictions set in place might be odd their overall intention is good.

As far as the EPA, I see restrictions put in place for coal emmisions and strip mining but I cannot think of anything else (non related to nuclear). Steam/natural gas and hydro are generally free from EPA restrictions unless there is an endangerd frog fawking in a resevoir or something.

As far as rolling black outs, the main problems is because of bad decision by state/local governments. Other than hydro there is no way to store that energy. We have more than enough power necessary to go around. It is a matter of making the right decisions on a government level to distribute it properly.

cracker said:
They do do good even though some of their restrictions set in place might be odd their overall intention is good.

Hey Rev....help me pave the road to HELL....it looks like the EPA and OSHA could manage the project for us.

I see $$$$$.

Whenever I see US 'Gas Price' threads I always think 'if only it could be here'. This week my local gasoline price jumped to the equivalent of $6.63/USgal and diesel $6.96/USgal. A small increase in crude creates a huge increase in retail gasoline price due to the 80% tax Brits have to pay on vehicle fuel. We were too dumb to do anything about it and let our government steadily increase the price over ten years. Believe me, If you need gas you're not going to stop buying it just because it's gone up everywhere by 5 cents every month.

It wouldn't suprise me if US gasoline prices steadily increase to $4 by 2008 to allow a lower priced E85 to gain widespread acceptance.

You guys think you have it soooo bad at $3/gallon - we're sitting at $3.80/gallon and the oil comes out of the ground only 6 hours away and the refinery is on the other side of the city from me - explain that!! I wish I could complain about paying $3/gallon.

Last edited:
It's up to 2.99 for the cheap stuff here now.
Strangely, diesel has stayed at 3.09, which it's been at for the last month or so.

Vince said:
Whenever I see US 'Gas Price' threads I always think 'if only it could be here'. This week my local gasoline price jumped to the equivalent of $6.63/USgal and diesel $6.96/USgal.

The difference is, the UK is an island. You can't just jump in a vehicle and drive 1000 miles someplace to go rock crawling.
In the Western United States it's a long way to drive to get to where you want to go.

Well hopfully it stays close to where it is at. You will be pleasantly suprised. Moab yesterday it was 2.54 a gallon. Diesel is up to 3.00 a gallon though. :(

Jes said:
The difference is, the UK is an island. You can't just jump in a vehicle and drive 1000 miles someplace to go rock crawling.
In the Western United States it's a long way to drive to get to where you want to go.

Yep, I'm over 1100 miles one way to go wheeling next week, and many of the folks are coming from farther than I am. I saw diesel yesterday for 3.09 but regular was 3.19. This is the first time for awhile that I've seen diesel lower than regular.

Goatman said:
Yep, I'm over 1100 miles one way to go wheeling next week, and many of the folks are coming from farther than I am. I saw diesel yesterday for 3.09 but regular was 3.19. This is the first time for awhile that I've seen diesel lower than regular.
Its not here that way yet. I just filled the jeep and the truck at the same station. Gas for the jeep was 2.51 and Diesel was 2.89.

Back