• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 from a 82 "Jeep Station Wagon"?

ROBERTK said:
I was told by both CTM and Yukon that they would not put their joints in that application.....

:rolleyes:

Paul S said:
a more balanced axle to ujoint ratio.

Paul

Awesome, that is quote of the week material.

It's like having an oak driveshaft and using red cedar u-joints. We need OT to chime in on the proper wood balance.

BRIANHO13 said:
I wouldn't want all that friction build up, no matter how well its greased.

Do you even know how many brass bushings are in a transmission?

CRASH said:

It's like having an oak driveshaft and using red cedar u-joints. We need OT to chime in on the proper wood balance.

:laugh3: I was LOL as I typed that, with your reply I practically fell out oif my chair.
:laugh3: :laugh3:

Paul

cracker said:
Do you even know how many brass bushings are in a transmission?
figured i would get rid of this and stop posting in this thread....I don't know enough about auto trannys to even go there...but in a manual they are constantly being lubed.

BRIANHO13 said:
I wouldn't want all that friction build up, no matter how well its greased.

Do you believe that the u-joint trunion spins inside the u-joint cap?

Think about the physics for a moment........

CRASH said:
Do you believe that the u-joint trunion spins inside the u-joint cap?

Think about the physics for a moment........
Do you believe your wheels go perfectly straight down the highway?

I've actually performed a test for this. After running a long distance in 4wd with my CTMs, I felt the caps. They were no warmer than anything else on the axle.

For the record, I have worn out a set of CTM's. That was a LOT of rock trails, and a lot of fire road driving, and very poor maintenance on my part. Sent them to Jack for R&R, about $150 for new caps and a good cleaning.

cracker said:
VERY hard to do ;)

You are so full of $hit. I just got off the phone with Jack @ CTM and he says his joints are more than perfect for street/D30 use.

Call Jack now @ 760-450-0006 and get the facts straight!

"JACK" Personally told me IN PERSON, that he would not run them on the street at highway speeds! Given it was about 2 yrs ago at the wooden nickel ranch after a CRCA event. SO it is poss that they have changed thier outlook? But given that the same priciples applied, that I figured the suggestion would still stand.

If I have the extra $ for CTM's I would go that route. But given that Super joints are same design? Then I would go thiers due to $.

The bottom line is this, if you want to play in the rocks with big tires, it's going to cost you some money. Let's say that you replace the caps in your CTM's once a year due to wear because you use them in your DD.

$150 is nothing.

That's like two tanks of gas.

Either step up and spend the $$$ or stick with 31" tires.

CRASH said:
The bottom line is this, if you want to play in the rocks with big tires, it's going to cost you some money. Let's say that you replace the caps in your CTM's once a year due to wear because you use them in your DD.

$150 is nothing.

That's like two tanks of gas.

Either step up and spend the $$$ or stick with 31" tires.

Are you sure that I can do this with Yukon shafts? Its not balanced, remember...

ROBERTK said:
"JACK" Personally told me IN PERSON, that he would not run them on the street at highway speeds! Given it was about 2 yrs ago at the wooden nickel ranch after a CRCA event. SO it is poss that they have changed thier outlook? But given that the same priciples applied, that I figured the suggestion would still stand.

If I have the extra $ for CTM's I would go that route. But given that Super joints are same design? Then I would go thiers due to $.

:bs:

Call him. He is on an errand right now but will be back at noon.

Maybe he didn't want you buying his product for some odd reason :dunno:

CRASH said:

Actually, I used knotted pine in my first application, but found they were waaaay to soft for the maple bearings that I had turned down and the trunion kept chipping.
Eventually, I came to my senses and decided to switch to 1330s.
Only problem is, now my DS is the weak branch of my drivetrain.

is.php

As a side note, why is it that one is not allowed to set "Ignore" for a *EDIT moderator/admin ?? that just sucks

Last edited:
ROBERTK said:
As a side note, why is it that one is not allowed to set "Ignore" for a mediator"?? that just sucks

Mediator?

Back