• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 from a 82 "Jeep Station Wagon"?

Jes said:
"Advanced Fabrication and Engineering If you are worried about your project still being called an XJ or MJ, this is the place for you. If you haven't ever had a slag burn or know the smell of burning flesh, tread lightly."

This thread is just dripping with it, I've learned so much.

Yeah well had my fair share of the later, and as for the learning, I was till some yaahoo's felt it necc to start adding crap in here.

Crash go a head and delete it. I am good with it and even if I wasnt no biggy of course.

If I wanted this "type" of Advanced Fabrication and Engineering replys I will just continue to use a larger more widely known forum known as Pirate. I know some of you love the name dropping and it really just ticks you off, so that for you that dont like to know whats out there or afraid of what is...

cracker said:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/

They don't flame over there and they are really forgiving of noobs.

Good luck

Now thats what I am talking about..

But see I thought being a XJ owner that I could come here and pay some $ to not get such asshats as they have there for when I am looking for "fellow" Jeeper advice. Then go over there (where I have been a member for yrs and yrs) to get the d1ckweeds outlook. But I am finding that theres the same mentality here also, as I said Pirate had.
:hang:

As "the cable guy" said.. "I can do this all day"....

ROBERTK said:
Now thats what I am talking about..

But see I thought being a XJ owner that I could come here and pay some $ to not get such asshats as they have there for when I am looking for "fellow" Jeeper advice. Then go over there (where I have been a member for yrs and yrs) to get the d1ckweeds outlook. But I am finding that theres the same mentality here also, as I said Pirate had.
:hang:

As "the cable guy" said.. "I can do this all day"....

Are you saying you did not get good advice in this thread, from people who have very good experience in your chosen vehicle type, in the toughest terrain in the US? Seems to me you did, as you have followed their advice.

A little bit of needling, and you are comparing NAXJA to Pirate? Come on man, show a little bit of testicular fortitude.

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I dont get it guys (refering to friends), these new guys must really not wheel. Crash, Jes, Chrackah, Goatman... and on and on... know nothing. I really don't know anything, I just was smart enough to keep my mouth shut!

No drama...

Pirate has good tech... much better than this thread.

Thread moved to where it should have been in the first place.

Oh and Crash, Clayton is the toughest terrain in the country.....

Captain Ron said:
Damn, yet another post to report. :D

--ron

:roflmao:

So Terry, when are you coming out for some real trails? :D

honestly - what is wrong with your 30?

I just spent the past 3 days screwing with my 44... and am having major issues with it...

here are the reasons I hate my 44:
1. I got it from a junkyard
2. I did it "Cheap"
3. Its broken

Here is a long real post with semi good info...

I bought a housing for 175, put another 1200 into it putting it under my rig, spent 400 on 2 sets of spares and spicer 760's for it... looks to be about the cost of a currie unit huh? it gets better...

I have low steer - 1-3/8" SOLID stock... bent... because I didnt budget for and buy hi-steer.
I have broken 2 long side inners due to not paying for and budgeting for alloys and not paying attention while wleding my brackets on.
I have about $550 total in shafts and u-joints... hmm... could have alloys, but no, I did it 'cheap' - one step at a time, one piece of junkyard metal at a time...
I dont have unit bearings - changing an axle shaft, taking the axle apart, servicing the wheel bearings, and basically doing ANYTHING to the front end sucks! I envy anyone with only 3 bolts to pull, and have their shafts out...
I have less clearance than a 30... Phil was taking lines on the 'con and clearing stuff, that i got hung up on... for no good reason... also the diff housing is bigger - so there is a lot less realestate on the axle for fabrication...
I left it full width - but dont quite have fenders... So i get pulled over all the time...

About the only good things from my swap -
Manual hubs...
Bigger brakes...

Thats about it...

I hate my 44 right now... Its keeping me from wheeling this weekend...

Robert - Go back and re-read Paul's post... it makes A Lot of sense, and is EXACTLY what I wish I'd done... I feel sick when i think about the time and money that I spent on a less than stellar solution to a problem that I really didnt have...

oh - and the :flame: of the post -

ask the Tinbenders what they would do - they seem to be about 12 times cooler than any of us NAXJA fags.... :D :D

XJ_ranger said:
I dont have unit bearings - changing an axle shaft, taking the axle apart, servicing the wheel bearings, and basically doing ANYTHING to the front end sucks! I envy anyone with only 3 bolts to pull, and have their shafts out...

About the only good things from my swap -
Manual hubs...
Not to be an ass but you seem to be contradictory. Sorry but I am working on this now and was woondering which Unit bearing and wouldn't this effect on road driving?

Matt

hadfield4wd said:
Not to be an ass but you seem to be contradictory. Sorry but I am working on this now and was woondering which Unit bearing and wouldn't this effect on road driving?

Matt

it is a trade off... about 1 hour longer to change a shaft, but if you dont have tools, or just are too lazy, unlock a hub...

I listed it as an advantage, because its one of the reasons I did the swap...

However, the quick change D30 axle shaft setup is very appealing once you have sat there and tried to lign up the gove in the spindle and the pin on the inner hub nut about 4 times.

so with me going through shafts one per run... it really sucks to be talking my bearings, brakes, spindle, caliper bracket, hub, rotor, and shaft out...

everything about my front axle is a compromise...

and I hate that...

XJ_ranger said:
it is a trade off... about 1 hour longer to change a shaft, but if you dont have tools, or just are too lazy, unlock a hub...

I listed it as an advantage, because its one of the reasons I did the swap...

However, the quick change D30 axle shaft setup is very appealing once you have sat there and tried to lign up the gove in the spindle and the pin on the inner hub nut about 4 times.

so with me going through shafts one per run... it really sucks to be talking my bearings, brakes, spindle, caliper bracket, hub, rotor, and shaft out...

and I hate that...

I love my front 44. opie, stop putting in stock shafts, and get some bigger meats.

XJ_ranger said:

Low budget 44 vs upgraded RS 30, on 35 inch tires, I'd take the 30 everytime.

CRASH said:
Low budget 44 vs upgraded RS 30, on 35 inch tires, I'd take the 30 everytime.
Agreed.
If you aren't willing to spring for CroMos and big joints, then don't bother with anything over 33"s and put a block of wood under your gas pedal.

OT said:
Agreed.
If you aren't willing to spring for CroMos and big joints, then don't bother with anything over 33"s and put a block of wood under your gas pedal.

Well I have Yet to ever break a Joint or shaft, lucky enough I guess, but I monitor my joints well and replace them about every two trails (cheapo insurance to me at 30$ a set).

But so the Q I would now ask if its going to be taken seriously is..

I now have the chromoly axles in hand (got them last night) now do I run a reg 760 joint? Or super joints?

I ask because this isnt a trailer queen. It gets driven to the trail mostly, about 60miles at 60-70MPH. I was told by both CTM and Yukon that they would not put their joints in that application, and to just run a reg spicer part. But the axles are not warrantied if a joint failier ruins the axle of course...

If you can't unlock your hubs you will have to run a joint that uses bearings.

ROBERTK said:
Well I have Yet to ever break a Joint or shaft, lucky enough I guess, but I monitor my joints well and replace them about every two trails (cheapo insurance to me at 30$ a set).

I now have the chromoly axles in hand (got them last night) now do I run a reg 760 joint? Or super joints?

I ask because this isnt a trailer queen. It gets driven to the trail mostly, about 60miles at 60-70MPH. I was told by both CTM and Yukon that they would not put their joints in that application, and to just run a reg spicer part. But the axles are not warrantied if a joint failier ruins the axle of course...

ROBERTK said:

VERY hard to do ;)

ROBERTK said:
I was told by both CTM and Yukon that they would not put their joints in that application, and to just run a reg spicer part.

You are so full of $hit. I just got off the phone with Jack @ CTM and he says his joints are more than perfect for street/D30 use.

Call Jack now @ 760-450-0006 and get the facts straight!

Last edited:
BRIANHO13 said:
If you can't unlock your hubs you will have to run a joint that uses bearings.

Why?

ROBERTK said:

I don't think you spoke to CTM, as Jack's joints are fine on a DD with unit bearings.

At any rate, I don't know that Yukon's are up to CTM's, might as well save a few $ with 760's & have a more balanced axle to ujoint ratio.

Paul

Back