• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front brake rotors for 99 sport

Woodswanderer

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to overhaul my front brakes with powerstop z36 kit. They have 2 options listed, one for 3” tall full cast rotor and one for 3.25” tall composite rotor. How can i tell which one i need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im also looking at ordering the parts for a ZJ rear disc swap. Can anyone clarify, they need to come from a 96 v8 model, correct? Planning on powerstop z36 rear as well, i’ll be pulling a camper with this vehicle

Mid year or so in '99 they made a change.
Pretty sure it just effects rotors and hub assemblies.
What is the date of manufacture of your '99?
I a
Almost positive I have seen a thread or two over the years comparing the two.
With pictures. So if you can find them maybe you could figure it out that way.

Any idea where i can source backing plates and knuckles for the zj rear swap? Buying everything else new to overhaul at the same time

ZJ rear brakes don't work without being modified (unless you've got a D35).

Last edited:
ZJ rear brakes don't work without being modified (unless you've got a D35).

Corporate rear axle. There was a write up/video i found that mentioned i have to drill/tap a couple holes larger and something about using KJ e brake cables. Just need to find thr backing plates and dust shields

My 2000 is a 8.25 axle and the only brakes that are bolt-on are the KJ's. I can't help with the cables as I bought MORE's custom cables(there are also some other one's)

My 2000 is a 8.25 axle and the only brakes that are bolt-on are the KJ's. I can't help with the cables as I bought MORE's custom cables(there are also some other one's)

All i know is im doing rear discs, regardless what they come from (zj/kj) 😉 im not towing a trailer on tiny ass drum brakes

Where can i find a detailed parts req’d list for the zj brake swap? Outside of rotors/pads/calipers and hoses (powerstop makes stainless braided ptfe coated ones) what should i plan to order new?

I've got a set of ZJ backing plates!

I've got a set of ZJ backing plates!

I’ll take em if you are willing to part. Can paypal.

Guess i still need the dust shields then...i think i saw them new at rockauto for a decent price

E brake adjusters are the same from what i understand? Need parking brake shoes and a hardware kit for the grand cherokee and kj e brake cables to round out the swap from what i can tell...

How about u joints and wheel hub assemblies while i’m in there?

I’ll take em if you are willing to part. Can paypal.

Guess i still need the dust shields then...i think i saw them new at rockauto for a decent price

E brake adjusters are the same from what i understand? Need parking brake shoes and a hardware kit for the grand cherokee and kj e brake cables to round out the swap from what i can tell...

How about u joints and wheel hub assemblies while i’m in there?

PM sent

Btw, how big and heavy is this trailer? I think you might be headed in the wrong way!

You are definitely need more than XJ disc's, my trailer was about #3400 and if I didn't have Cryo'd XJ rotors I would have melted them to the ground. You will need to do WJ's up front with some EBC pads all around.

You are definitely need more than XJ disc's, my trailer was about #3400 and if I didn't have Cryo'd XJ rotors I would have melted them to the ground. You will need to do WJ's up front with some EBC pads all around.

Powerstop z36 slotted and drilled rotors at all 4 corners, paired with z36 pads (similar to EBC red stuff or yellow stuff pads) and braided stainless steel brake lines on the ZJ disc swap should be plenty when paired with a good brake controller and trailer brakes. Im not planning to tow this trailer often, or far, once i move it to my new location.

Ive used a similar powerstop setup on a 4500lb volvo wagon (z23 pads, a step away from z36), albeit with ABS. I could lock them up when i stood on them, even with the ABS ;)

Curious, whats involved in WJ swap up front?

I've run the Z36 pads and they even don't come close to the Yellow truck pads. As far as a conversion it takes WJ knuckles, calipers, and rotors.

Back