• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double Shackle Pics.

So its very apparent that no likes my set up, the bigest question is why this wont work? my searching has found this.
wmleaf-spring-shackle-angle.gif

So i have stiffer springs.
I DONT ROCK CLIMB!!!!!!

take that crap outta there right now...

we may never hear of it failing because you could die.. on the highway hit some debris in the road and i don't think that would do very well...

its some hillbilly shit

So its very apparent that no likes my set up, the bigest question is why this wont work? my searching has found this.
wmleaf-spring-shackle-angle.gif

So i have stiffer springs.
I DONT ROCK CLIMB!!!!!!

it doesn't matter whether or not you rock CRAWL. climbing is what you do on cliffs. if you think about the kinematics of the linkage, of the shackles, you essentially have a free joint that under the right conditions will collapse. it's not stable. don't say we didn't tell you when it happens. i just hope it doesn't land you, or worse, someone else in the hospital or dead. i'm a mechanical engineer. i've taken a class or 2 on this stuff, it's not like i'm some other hillbilly going with gut feeling, like you had to have been when you set it up.

you should put another shackle where the front of the leaf mounts too, kind of a "triple shackle setup". With the extra lift and superior ridgidity you would then have, your truck would be near un stoppable in the mud. Then you could fit some 44" Ground Hawgs, the choice of true redneck mud lovers

This post reminds me of that arrogant punk who tried building 4 link suspension xj with 1" DOM tubing, and then told everyone else that THEY were wrong when they criticized him.

People are telling you this not because we want to bash you, but because its a horrible idea. get a clue man.

Stop being douchebags guys. This guy is trying something new... Maybe it will work, maybe he will crash and burn. Either way, its something different. Im sure the first guy that took his doors off his XJ got laughed at, now alot of people are doing it.

So quit your bitching and let the guy be.

Chances are it will probably fail, but give the guy a break.

Stop being douchebags guys. This guy is trying something new... Maybe it will work, maybe he will crash and burn. Either way, its something different. Im sure the first guy that took his doors off his XJ got laughed at, now alot of people are doing it.

Thanks
but they are atarting to get through to me, im going to look at a differnt set up later this week but i will still be using two shackles.

IF it fails while on the road, he could kill someone, so I think people are trying to talk him out of a life-altering mod possibly.

It's a good thing.

So what happens when the shackle's invert the other way? If you ever droop it what stops them from going from > to this <? It also looks like it's smashing into your body up to, right behind the bumper.

So what happens when the shackle's invert the other way? If you ever droop it what stops them from going from > to this <? It also looks like it's smashing into your body up to, right behind the bumper.

The shackles would just impact each other like the revolver shackles. The problem with his setup is that the shackles really won't move very much. All of the tension is bein sent directly to the spring instead of the shackle moving for or aft.

i have not taken this setup on any hard off road trails but it seems tobe very strong and i dont see any damage to the unibody so far.
doubleshackle004.jpg
You don't see any damage? Looks like you're starting to dent and wear the box behind the shackle - metal-on-metal rubbing is not a smart idea...but then again, neither is this "double shackle" idea.

Look at the side of the upper shackle, above the bolt. Looks like the shackle is coming apart... :conceited

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Stop being douchebags guys. This guy is trying something new...

Its not "new" its just that the people who have tried it before are no longer with us. Natural selection.

Honestly, do you think the whole rock crawling communty has been overlooking this mod for decades and this guy with the nose picking welds has suddenly come up with this great idea that no one else has ever thought of?

A friend asked me to go look at an XJ that was for sale a few months ago. It had an absolute ghetto lift with the same exact looking double shackle set up. I told my friend, get in the truck. We aren't even gonna drive that thing! So, This is not some new redneck engineering. It's repeated redneck engineering:skull1:

This isn't new. It is a ghetto revolver shackle, that is facing the wrong way. Someone in this thread already posted their version from 2000, and even they recommended against it.

The point is that we aren't SUGGESTING you change it because we THINK it will work better the other way. It is a known fact that shackles don't work like that, double shackles don't work like that, etc.

Your tire can't stuff with the shackles like that, essentially they are already "drooped" most of the way. Really, the rear of the shackle box where the shackles are making contact is what is supporting your suspension, not the bolt through the upper shackle in the shackle box. Do you really want to hit a pothole like that?

Please, understand, these aren't recommendations for suspension design. These are requirements. No NAXJA ride in the country would allow you on a trip with them with a supsension set up like that. Either go outside and take the top shackle out right now, or at the very least flip them the other way. You should do like everyone else said and throw down the $130 for the shackle boxes, or look at that thread and build your own. Others have done it.

So i got up today and had some breakfast
flip003.jpg

then when to work on my shackles and busted my knuckles
flip011.jpg

i now have this
flip005.jpg

flip006.jpg

flip007.jpg

flip008.jpg

flip009.jpg

flip012.jpg

My ride feels better but i lost a little of the lift in the back it still sits just a bit higher then before, let me know what you guy think now? (like i had to ask) LOL.
flip004.jpg

Back