• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Valley Run June 21st

GREATWHITEJEEP said:
I am a newbie here and I would love to try the Dear Valley Run. What is the level of difficulty? I have an 01 Sport with a 4.5 RC lift and 31" Mud Tires , Pretty much stock beyond that . If I take it Slow would my rig get trough ? Is there go arounds for the tougher stuff? Not loolking to come home with a trashed Jeep. My Brother In law just rolled his 98 it was toataled. Thanks Rich

Ive never been there, but I've met Shark XJ, and he knows his stuff pretty well...

SharkXJ said:
Minimum requirements are 3" of lift, 31's and at least one solid tow point.

sounds like you meet the requirements...

Id be willing to bet that you could come home with every body pannel as straight as it was when you left home...

come on out - I'll make sure your jeep doesnt come home trashed...

Harlee&Tahoe said:
What do you mean, who are you talking about?

Im saying that he should have no problems, just drive smart. not trying to be an a$$ to people who drive toyotas but from my experience watching and wheeling with them on the trails that for the most part its just a bunch a stupid high school kids whos sole purpose is to drive like idiots and see who can obtain the most carnage. Again im not trying to bee a jerk myself, but thats just what i have personally seen from that group of people so i try to tell people to not drive like they do.

GREATWHITEJEEP said:
I am a newbie here and I would love to try the Dear Valley Run. What is the level of difficulty? I have an 01 Sport with a 4.5 RC lift and 31" Mud Tires , Pretty much stock beyond that . If I take it Slow would my rig get trough ? Is there go arounds for the tougher stuff? Not loolking to come home with a trashed Jeep. My Brother In law just rolled his 98 it was toataled. Thanks Rich

4.5" of lift and 31's is fine. The hard spots do have go arounds. The most damage you will get is MAYBE a scratch on your rockers. Do you have rock rails or any sort of armor? I have done this trail with LS in the rear, 3.5" of lift and 31's and no damage.

Don't worry about being a newbie. We'll get ya through......

Tread Lightly and have fun......

GREATWHITEJEEP said:
What is the level of difficulty?

open diffs might be a problem. Tow points are mandatory.

Slonopotam said:
open diffs might be a problem. Tow points are mandatory.

One solid Tow Point is Mandatory. A guy came with us last year who was on 3.5" of lift, 31's, open - open and he did fine. With a little spotting anyone can get through this trail......

I Have a pair of Smitybuilt tube style Rocker Guards or Nerf Bars. I was Told that they could hang too low and I am better off running without any guards. I havent installed them yet ,but at $25.00 for the pair Even if they get trashed I think it was worth buying . I have a tow hitch out back and nothing solid up front. I was planing on picking up a pair of Stock style tow hooks for the front frame before I venture out too much. Would that be adequate for this run? I might be able to borrow some of the Gear from my brother inlaws Jeep If he is still waiting on the Insurance to settle up. We played around at Folsom lake over this last weekend , there are several nice hills with lots of loose stuff and some rocks . The Jeep did good but I think airing down would have made a huge difference.

I have one more item that I am hoping to install, not sure if I can use it with my Rough Country lower contol arms . I picked up a Pair of Control arm drop brakets at Pick-N-Pull . These look idendical to Rubicon Expess Brckets on my brotheres Rolled Jeep. I think I need adjustable lower and uppers to use them anybodyy know?

GREATWHITEJEEP said:
I Have a pair of Smitybuilt tube style Rocker Guards or Nerf Bars. I was Told that they could hang too low and I am better off running without any guards. I havent installed them yet ,but at $25.00 for the pair Even if they get trashed I think it was worth buying . I have a tow hitch out back and nothing solid up front. I was planing on picking up a pair of Stock style tow hooks for the front frame before I venture out too much. Would that be adequate for this run? I might be able to borrow some of the Gear from my brother inlaws Jeep If he is still waiting on the Insurance to settle up. We played around at Folsom lake over this last weekend , there are several nice hills with lots of loose stuff and some rocks . The Jeep did good but I think airing down would have made a huge difference.

I have one more item that I am hoping to install, not sure if I can use it with my Rough Country lower contol arms . I picked up a Pair of Control arm drop brakets at Pick-N-Pull . These look idendical to Rubicon Expess Brckets on my brotheres Rolled Jeep. I think I need adjustable lower and uppers to use them anybodyy know?

The steps will get trashed and honestly would probably do more harm then good. The rear tow hitch is fine. Like I mentioned earlier we got an XJ thru that was open open with no strapping just some good spotting.

SharkXJ said:
The steps will get trashed and honestly would probably do more harm then good.
My Bro said the exact same thing . I would like some steps for my kids . Sometimes they have trouble getting up in the rig since I put the lift on . Are there any that dont iterfere with the wheeling abilities?

GREATWHITEJEEP said:
Are there any that dont iterfere with the wheeling abilities?

homemade ones, because you build th em how you want them:clap:

GREATWHITEJEEP said:
My Bro said the exact same thing . I would like some steps for my kids . Sometimes they have trouble getting up in the rig since I put the lift on . Are there any that dont iterfere with the wheeling abilities?

My rock rails stick out away from the body and act as an ok step to get in and out. I forget who made them though :-(

Mine are from JCR and stick out enough to use as a step (or pivit point) but dont stick out too far. The wife (5'3") and the 3 year old appreciate them....

100_1616.jpg

JoesXJ said:
Mine are from JCR and stick out enough to use as a step (or pivit point) but dont stick out too far. The wife (5'3") and the 3 year old appreciate them....

100_1616.jpg

Those are them..... I like em...

How can I post pics? I am not alowed it appears

Count me in. Are camp fires allowed in this area, or do we need to bring stoves?

Trail-Axe said:
Count me in. Are camp fires allowed in this area, or do we need to bring stoves?

That is one of the reasons I like this trip so much - Fires are allowed. I will have a permit but I suggest stopping by a rnager station on the way in and getting one too.

SharkXJ said:
That is one of the reasons I like this trip so much - Fires are allowed. I will have a permit but I suggest stopping by a rnager station on the way in and getting one too.

Very cool. I guess we need to bring our own wood, or is local wood ok to burn.

Trail-Axe said:
Very cool. I guess we need to bring our own wood, or is local wood ok to burn.

Bring what ever you got. I bring a Chainsaw and chop up DOWNED tree's and branches. This trip is early in the season so there should be plenty of it in the area. We have never had a problem with fires :)

SharkXJ said:
Bring what ever you got. I bring a Chainsaw and chop up DOWNED tree's and branches. This trip is early in the season so there should be plenty of it in the area. We have never had a problem with fires :)

Don't own a chain saw, but I do have a nice Axe. :)

Back