• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Valley Closed?

I’m not sure what this law that addresses meadows and wetland is all about but I bet we need to get educated on this real quick. From what I understand at this point is the forest may have to reroute trails around meadows and wetlands.

I found out the County of Eldorado meeting today is not a Board of Supervisors meeting but a Committee meeting with at least one Supervisor, It’s a holiday for me and it’s a long way from the Eastbay but I will be attending. I apologize for the misinformation, it,s hard to keep all the information or lack of information that’s flying around straight.
The good thing is this is now out in the open and all of us can work to save our Public Lands.

This is not over! We are working on a plan with the Forest Service, we are building coalition of outdoor enthusiast and land use originations to find a solution.

In the mean time contact all of your state and federal officials, contact your local news papers, radio and TV stations and spread the word on facebook!

Senator Ted Gaines comments on trail closures.

“Closing these trails for a solid year or more is absolutely the wrong approach,” said Gaines. “Off-roading is a major hobby enjoyed by people from across the country and is a contributor to our state and region’s economy. I don’t see why these trails, which have been used for decades, can’t remain open until the environmental study is complete.”

Senator Gaines plans to follow this issue closely and will share updates on the status of the final court order.

http://thepinetree.net/index.php?module=announce&ANN_user_op=view&ANN_id=29698

The Supplemental Environmental Impact Study is scheduled to be completed April 2013.

http://thepinetree.net/index.php?module=announce&ANN_user_op=view&ANN_id=29682

Rad!!! This is exactly what we need to see more of.

I’m not sure what this law that addresses meadows and wetland is all about but I bet we need to get educated on this real quick. From what I understand at this point is the forest may have to reroute trails around meadows and wetlands.

I found out the County of Eldorado meeting today is not a Board of Supervisors meeting but a Committee meeting with at least one Supervisor, It’s a holiday for me and it’s a long way from the Eastbay but I will be attending. I apologize for the misinformation, it,s hard to keep all the information or lack of information that’s flying around straight.
The good thing is this is now out in the open and all of us can work to save our Public Lands.

This is not over! We are working on a plan with the Forest Service, we are building coalition of outdoor enthusiast and land use originations to find a solution.

In the mean time contact all of your state and federal officials, contact your local news papers, radio and TV stations and spread the word on facebook!

Dude, you're doing an awesome thing, wish I could make it.

A message from the BOD regarding Sierra Fest: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1082178

The short version - I'm not letting the Deer Valley trail closure keep me from seeing my friends. The Sierra Fest run is still planned for Aug 9-12. We will camp at Hermit Valley. We will still see our friends. We'll find other trails to run.

Josh 'the_weirdo'

The meeting yesterday was very enlightening; the County was broadsided with this closure just like we were. The Sheriff did not know there was a decree that he need to enforce until 5 days ago! This meeting was actually a Citizens Coordination Committee that may soon be sanctioned by the County. Their motto is “Protection of our Public Lands for the People of El Dorado”. The County does not want to be hit with something such as this closure without knowing every again. The County is very aware of the economic loss this will cause. They are on our side!

It turns out that you can have a road thru a meadow or wetlands as long as you do a study on the environmental effects. This is way CDB filed suit, they claim that the Forest Service failed to address this in the Travel Management Plan. This is what they do, they hire collage students to go thru documents and find the mistakes, than they file a law suit and collect money from the tax payer

The next course of action will be a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS). This will start with scoping process for the notice of intent, than a public comment period; next will be the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, then another public comment period. After this the Record of decision, at this point if you have submitted a comment you can appeal.

The CBD used something about the Hydrological dynamic of a meadow or wetlands as a base for their suit. I don’t want to give too much away to the other side but we will need to hire a Hydrologist to prove the roads will not damage the meadows. I believe CORVA will hold a Comments Project for this. We will teach you how to write an effective comment on the SEIS. It is worthwhile to give 4 hours for this class if you want to keep our public lands open.

If I made a mistake in explaining the SEIS process please post up I am not an expert on this. I will keep everyone updated as I learn more.
I like the Idea of camping a Hermit Valley for Sierra fest, some large banners the can be seen from the roadway would be great! The other thing is to put signs on your XJ’s so when the group id driving down the highway we will get our message out.

Happy Trails
Ken

I am in contact with the El Dorado County Coordination Committee, we are having a little trouble getting a couple of the Supervisors on board with use on the County commenting on the SEIS. The Committee believes letters to the Supervisor will help. I do not want to post some of this information on the internet so if you PM me I will forward the information to you if you would like to help keep our trails open.
Thank you
Ken

just sent letters to the supervisors, i think everyone in sierra chapter needs to do this

i contacted 5 country supervisors, my zip code area senators, and some other individuals in the forest service. some know whats going on, some don't.

some of the representatives/senators/county supervisors didn't even know what i was talking about, so i sent them links to educate them on whats going on. most of them think I'm talking about the normal seasonal closures. i think it would be good if more people contact their representatives, senators, and the el dorado county supervisors. if its off their radar, or falls off their radar because they are not constantly reminded, then they will think its not a big issue to us. we need to keep them aware that we are not happy with this and we need their help, and do it weekly. the more guys that email them, the more of an issue it will become, instead of random one-off emails.

we need to use it or lose it.

i also joined and donated money to every organization fighting against the closures, the greenies are fighting this in the courts, and our groups need the cash to fight back, unless any of you are lawyers and will work for free...

any word on this>

No! the trail is not open! The Judge released his decision and allowed the trails to be opened up to the meadows, You cannot drive all the way through from Blue Lake to Hermit Valley, this means you can drive to the meadow then you must go back the way you came. Barrett & Strawberry are still completely closed!

The Trails will not open completely open until the Forest Service completes new Environmental Impact Statements for each trail. There will be a Scoping period with public comment, then the Draft Environmental Impact Statements with a comment period, than the Final Environmental Impact Statements with an appeal for those that commented (you must have summited a comment to appeal), then the Record of Decision will be released and after all this the trails may or may not be open.

The best this you can do now is educate yourself on the Environmental Impact Statements procedures and write comments when needed, I believe CORVA will be doing a “Comments Project” seminar for this process.

I do not see this as a big win for our side!

No! the trail is not open! The Judge released his decision and allowed the trails to be opened up to the meadows, You cannot drive all the way through from Blue Lake to Hermit Valley, this means you can drive to the meadow then you must go back the way you came. Barrett & Strawberry are still completely closed!

So if we are going in from the Hwy 4 side, where is the meadow? Is it the first water crossing or the second?

trail is open from 4 to first meadow

Back