• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Valley Closed?

X3 for Rubicon...or Fordyce Creek.

Thanks for the heads up and follow-through to get us info. I appreciate it. During the week I'll do some checking too and hopefully by then we'll have some answers.

The question remains whether all of Deer Valley will be closed or a portion. Also I don't see reference to Slick Rock Road. That was the trail where some idiots (not NAXJA members) drove through and damaged the meadow. If Slick Rock Rd and the south entrance to DV up to the top of the mountain remains open I don't see why we would need to change location. There are other trails we can access from Hermit Valley like we did in the past and we could even hit Pardoes Trail this year.

If they are closed we will look at a different location for SierraFest.

edit: I think I saw that Pardoes is a no go as well...

Last edited:
Here is a list of the trails that were part of the lawsuit. Taken from here.

"
Here is a list of roads that are threatened from the CA4WDC lawyer. Keep in mind that the entire route may or may not be closed:
8N35, 9N54, 10N32, 11N70,
14N58, 10NY04, 17E12, 9N15,
10N03, 10NY06, 11N09A, 14N27,
9N95, 10N98, 11N23F, 17E16,
10N26, 9N01, 9N08, 10N21,
11N26F, 11NY32, 8N23B, 12NY15,
17E17, 10N01, 17E19, 10N06,
10NY05, 11N22, 12NY06, 13N24
9N83 (DEER VALLEY TRAIL),
10N13 (STRAWBERRY TRAIL),
10N14, 14N05, 14N39, 17E24,
9N04, 9N82, 17E21, and 17E28.
"

Funny thing is the referenced Deer Valley Trail and Strawberry Trails do not match the Forest Service Route name in the Forest Service spatial database.

I will look in to this some more throughout the week. If anyone can get an official list to cut out the hear say and pass it along to me that would be great.

The Official El Dorado FS map lists Deer Valley as

Deer Valley 9N83
Strawberry 10N13

And the Official El Dorado FS database lists

Deer Valley 19E01
Strawberry 17E73

Glad they make these this easy to reference. They must have change trail designations during the Trail Management Project.Looks like a quick database search is out and we will need to hunt and peck through the map to find the trails.

I will try to get something out later this week.

Read them and weep:
8N23B Prothro Headwater
8N35 Upper West Panther
9N01 blue lake to meadow lake
9N04 Mud Lake 4WD
9N08 Stockton Camp
9N15 Leek Spring Valley
9N54 Leoni
9N82 Pardoes 4WD
9N83 Dear Valley 4WD
9N95 Cosumnes Head
10N01 woods lake area?
10N03 Devils Gate Summer Home
10N06 Pebble Ridge
10N13 Schneider Camp 4WD (know as Strawberry 4WD)
10N14 Mule Canyon
10N21 Long Canyon 4WD
10N26 Scoits Creek
10N32 South Beanville Creek
10N98 Jim Quin Spring
10NY04 Middle Long Canyon
10NY05 Rocky Road
10NY06 Upper Long Canyon
11N09A Bryan Creek
11N22 Strawberry Creek
11N23F North Shanty Spur
11N26F Barrett Lake Jeep Trail
11N70 Mcmanus
11NY32 47 milestone
12NY06 Crystal Shortcut
12NY15 West Robbs Peak
13N24 Dry Lakes
14N05 Mckinstry Lake
14N27 Bunker Meadow
14N39 Richardson Lake 4WD
14N58 Jerre
17E12 motorcycle trail strawberry to Lovers leap
17E16 motorcycle trail behind little round top
17E17 Buck meadows motorcycle trail
17E19 motorcycle trail out of Allen camp
17E21 motorcycle trail north of Silver Lake
17E24 Mud lake trail
17E28 motorcycle trail south of mud lake
Ben thanks for the membership, now we need everyone to sign-up

Thanks for the motivation...been meaning to join for a while and this just pushed me over the edge. Payment sent...new CORVA Lifetime member here.

The only way to beat these dickheads is to lawyer up.

I will not sell my jeep. :flamemad:
I'm with you Ben. I signed up for CORVA annual membership last night.

Josh 'the_weirdo'

The rubicon is going to be a parking lot this year. Over on my site at norcaljeepers we moved our DV/SR trip to the con. Just imagine how many other groups are going to do the same. With the increased traffic and likely increase in idiots, the Rubicon is going to need lots of enforcement this year.

I highly suggest all of you to go to the FOTR annual meeting on the 14th this month.

8120 36th Ave, Sacramento, CA 95824
United States

It starts at 9 and goes till 1. For everybody that wants to get involved... This is our first step.

If you guys do end up switching to the Con. I think it would be beneficial to get us on the rubicon calendar to possibly steer more groups away from going that weekend.

So today the forest service called me back. The lady was very polite. She said the road 9N83 is closed for winter and should be open after the winter season. I mentioned that I believe there was some kind of lawsuit or legal action forcing the road to be closed for a year or until some studies were completed. She said she hadnt heard that, and that she belived their biologist would have said something to her. Not sure if they just havent got the news yet? or whats going on. i really would like to know which road is which. If their is two maps giving two different numbers for the road Its hard to get specific imformation, because they didnt know the road by "deer valley". She did say they have a new website. www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado

Funny thing is the referenced Deer Valley Trail and Strawberry Trails do not match the Forest Service Route name in the Forest Service spatial database.

I will look in to this some more throughout the week. If anyone can get an official list to cut out the hear say and pass it along to me that would be great.

The Official El Dorado FS map lists Deer Valley as

Deer Valley 9N83
Strawberry 10N13

And the Official El Dorado FS database lists

Deer Valley 19E01
Strawberry 17E73

Glad they make these this easy to reference. They must have change trail designations during the Trail Management Project.Looks like a quick database search is out and we will need to hunt and peck through the map to find the trails.

I will try to get something out later this week.
Do you have links to any of this? I dont have a map of the forest.

Thanks for the heads up and follow-through to get us info. I appreciate it. During the week I'll do some checking too and hopefully by then we'll have some answers.

The question remains whether all of Deer Valley will be closed or a portion. Also I don't see reference to Slick Rock Road. That was the trail where some idiots (not NAXJA members) drove through and damaged the meadow. If Slick Rock Rd and the south entrance to DV up to the top of the mountain remains open I don't see why we would need to change location. There are other trails we can access from Hermit Valley like we did in the past and we could even hit Pardoes Trail this year.

If they are closed we will look at a different location for SierraFest.

edit: I think I saw that Pardoes is a no go as well...

Eric
Slick Rock is in the Stanislaus NF so its not effected by this closure.........but I am sure it wont be long before the greenies get to Slick Rock too.:shiver:

press release

Forty-two off-highway-vehicle routes that cross meadows in the Eldorado National Forest may be closed to motor vehicle travel this recreation season while the Forest Service completes an environmental analysis, announced Eldorado National Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy.

The potential travel prohibitions are the result of a February 2012 court order by U.S. District Court Judge Lawrence Karlton. The order said the Forest Service failed to comply with the National Forest Management Act in 2008 when it designated “open for public motor vehicle use” portions of 42 routes that cross meadows. Judge Karlton ordered the Forest Service to “set aside” the decision that designated these segments as open and to reconsider the decision.

A final court order with further direction to the Forest Service is pending. In the interim, Karlton ordered the 42 routes remain closed to motorized public use. The final order will identify specifically where travel will be prohibited until a new environmental decision is made.

“I know that prohibiting travel on these routes will be a big disappointment to forest visitors, but we have to be responsive to the order.” said Hardy. “I have a team of people lined up to complete a supplemental environmental impact statement as quickly as possible.”

The SEIS is scheduled to begin in April or May 2012 and to be completed by April 2013.

Hardy says many popular high county routes may be affected by the closure. Some of these routes include: Barrett Lake Jeep Trail; Squaw Ridge Four Wheel Drive Trail; Clover Valley/ Deer Valley Trail; Strawberry Four Wheel Drive Trail; Carson Emigrant Trail; Allen’s Camp Motorcycle Trail and the Bucks Pasture Motorcycle Trail. The Rubicon 4wd Trail is not affected by this court order.

Maps and a complete list of the routes affected by the court order will be posted on the Eldorado National Forest website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado. These maps will be modified to reflect the final court order once it is received. A free-of-charge motor vehicle use map that shows the routes that are open to wheeled motor vehicle use will be available at all Eldorado National Forest offices in June 2012 reflecting the final order.

“I intend to close the routes where it makes sense to do so if the final order prohibits travel on routes that cross meadows,” said Hardy. “A route may be closed near a meadow or some distance away depending on how difficult it is to turn a vehicle around.”

Some routes will also be closed indirectly because they branch off closed routes and will not be accessible.

--------------------------------------

So maybe we will be able to do at least the first part of DV?

Ugh this makes me so angry!

I am getting ready to call Amy Granat she had a 3.5 hour meeting with the FS today. We spoke briefly this afternoon she told me it’s not good! I will post up as soon as I have more information.

Here’s the press release;

Court Order Prohibits Motorized Vehicle Travel on 42 Popular OHV Routes

Release Date: Apr 4, 2012 Placerville, CA

Contact(s): Frank Mosbacher

Forty-two off-highway-vehicle routes that cross meadows in the Eldorado National Forest may be closed to motor vehicle travel this recreation season while the Forest Service completes an environmental analysis, announced Eldorado National Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy.

The potential travel prohibitions are the result of a February 2012 court order by U.S. District Court Judge Lawrence Karlton. The order said the Forest Service failed to comply with the National Forest Management Act in 2008 when it designated “open for public motor vehicle use” portions of 42 routes that cross meadows. Judge Karlton ordered the Forest Service to “set aside” the decision that designated these segments as open and to reconsider the decision.

A final court order with further direction to the Forest Service is pending. In the interim, Karlton ordered the 42 routes remain closed to motorized public use. The final order will identify specifically where travel will be prohibited until a new environmental decision is made.

“I know that prohibiting travel on these routes will be a big disappointment to forest visitors, but we have to be responsive to the order.” said Hardy. “I have a team of people lined up to complete a supplemental environmental impact statement as quickly as possible.”

The SEIS is scheduled to begin in April or May 2012 and to be completed by April 2013.

Hardy says many popular high county routes may be affected by the closure. Some of these routes include: Barrett Lake Jeep Trail; Squaw Ridge Four Wheel Drive Trail; Clover Valley/ Deer Valley Trail; Strawberry Four Wheel Drive Trail; Carson Emigrant Trail; Allen’s Camp Motorcycle Trail and the Bucks Pasture Motorcycle Trail. The Rubicon 4wd Trail is not affected by this court order.

Maps and a complete list of the routes affected by the court order will be posted on the Eldorado National Forest website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado. These maps will be modified to reflect the final court order once it is received. A free-of-charge motor vehicle use map that shows the routes that are open to wheeled motor vehicle use will be available at all Eldorado National Forest offices in June 2012 reflecting the final order.

“I intend to close the routes where it makes sense to do so if the final order prohibits travel on routes that cross meadows,” said Hardy. “A route may be closed near a meadow or some distance away depending on how difficult it is to turn a vehicle around.”

Some routes will also be closed indirectly because they branch off closed routes and will not be accessible.

I got some good information last night,
• The Closure is real!
• There will be a County Board Meeting tomorrow in Placerville to discuss how to deal with this mess that I will attend,
• The Forest Service will have a Representative at the FOTR meeting on the 14th attend if you can!
• The Forest Service is working on opening up some group campground and old logging roads so groups can have their fund raising events, I’ll get us a contact.
• CORVA will be coming out with a press release soon, I’ll post it as soon as I get it.
That all I have for now

The meeting is tomorrow Friday in Placerville 2:30 pm at 300 Fair drive. I do not believe this to be a coat & tie, I am told it always helpful to dress nicely.

Senator Ted Gaines comments on trail closures.

“Closing these trails for a solid year or more is absolutely the wrong approach,” said Gaines. “Off-roading is a major hobby enjoyed by people from across the country and is a contributor to our state and region’s economy. I don’t see why these trails, which have been used for decades, can’t remain open until the environmental study is complete.”

Senator Gaines plans to follow this issue closely and will share updates on the status of the final court order.

http://thepinetree.net/index.php?module=announce&ANN_user_op=view&ANN_id=29698

The Supplemental Environmental Impact Study is scheduled to be completed April 2013.

http://thepinetree.net/index.php?module=announce&ANN_user_op=view&ANN_id=29682

Back