• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dealerships

Well. I'm about to find out how good my local dealership is. My powersteering hose started leaking and I needed it fixed ASAP to go on the a run this weekend (should be leaving any minute). I also need a major service so I just had the dealer do it all. Same dealer, 2 different people at 2 different times, quoted me ~$500 for a 60K service minus anything having to do with axles and minus the TC plus the trans ( I thought) and $90 labor for the PS hose, $25 from one and $26 from the otehr for the hose. My wife drops the XJ off and she gets a $860 estimate. WTF!!!! I call to find out what the difference is and the 2nd guy tells me something about possibly $200 more for some expensive fluid if required. OK, I guess. Pretty sure I didn't need the "expensive" fluid. He also says something about the Transmisison service being more, which I know I talked about the first time around.

So I pick it up yesterday and sure enough, $867. I figure oh well, take a quick look over the bill (which was very vague) and pay the bill. I look deeper into the bill at home and parts and oil was only $100 total. No extra $200 for expensive oil. So I look at the sercive write up. Pretty much what they told me. About $550. Tehn I look at the PS write-up. $270 labor!!!! Needless to say I'm heading over there to see why the labor was 3 times what they told me it would be. I'm convinced its becuase they had a $870 estimate and wanted to bill it all out. I'll be nice at first. After that, fawkem. They shold have told me it would be almost $300 for labor. I would have changed the hose myself.

Ryurabbit - any idea how long it should take to change the pressure side PS hose? Looks pretty simple to me.

I'm may just stop payment on the CC if they don't refund any labor ove rthe $90.

I sold cars for a Jeep dealer and will always have my guard up going into the dealership! (unless I'm going to see rabbit) It is unfortunate, but there have been some many bad things that have happened to people I know and I have seen some shady stuff! It is unfortunate that the actions a few have affected so many good people.

I avoid having work done at a dealer at all costs unless it is something I just down't want to do like in the middle of winter. My last dealer repair was the emergency brake handle, only reason I took it in was because I was hoping it would be covered and once there was quoted $80 for the whole deal, heck, I was there, they said 45 min, it was january and I was out in 35min. Before that it was two factory recalls for the front rotors and airbag relocation thing. I also got the old handle assembly back and built a new button out of aluminum so I'm ready for next time. As for parts, heck, I've been cultivating the local dodge dealer parts dept, get a nice discount on stuff, they even let me put my business cards and brochures there :D but it's a small local bunch that I run into at the diner on weekends and the chinese take out during the week and I used to run into the service manager at my daughters soccer games and practices.
I have no problem paying a bit more for parts from the dealer for normal OEM stuff like plugs, wires, caps, rotors, hoses, tstats, etc. There are 7 parts stores within 4 miles in this town so belive me, they are competetive. I also think they take you more seriously when you walk in with a FSM and show them the part you want, seems to point you out that you were willing to spend the extra $100 for 'The BOOK' and not settle for a chiltons/haynes cliffnotes manual...

Cottontail- I am talking about Bud Mulcahy's. They aren't bad to buy from just tell your family to keep their Jeep away from Bud's service dept. Thats an interesting link though I had never heard of that organization before you linked me up.(nice)There is a Dodge dealer on Ingersoll called Stew Hanson's Dodge City(I'm sure its his son probably that owns the one you're thinking of) but if I'm getting my Jeep serviced I like to take it to a Jeep dealer because Hanson's is only Dodge, although I guess Dodge dealers would have mopar parts.....hmmmmm. Funny how small of a world we live in, good touching so close to home.

Last edited:
thanks ryurabbit for helping me defend the integrity or the dealership. unfortunately i cant speak for others, but where i work we strive to satisfy our customers, that is our future business. if we rip them off today, where will they go tomorrow? there are a lot of jeep techs out there but if they are "new" to chrysler, they probably not familiar with the early jeeps. i began with them and am quite familiar with all their quirks. i do have to admit once in a while i can get stumped and it will take some extra diagnostics. remember, those of you who dont use us, when you go to the independent garages and you spend good money to not have your car fixed, you will eventually end up at the dealership. after all the expenses and the jeep is fixed, where was the savings? we see it time and time again where this happens and when the customer leaves he will be happy with the results. maybe not the total costs, but we have no control on what we dont touch.
i wasnt trying to start a big fiasco, just trying to vent.

I've had mostly good experience with my local Jeep Dealer's parts manager & assistant. I don't buy much from them, but when I do call to check availability or go in, they remember me by name and that I have a bunch of 4x4 XJs. I've tried to finagle 'fleet' prices, but like I said, I dont buy much from them ($350+- for two CCV harnesses, two thermostats, two UCA bushings, a balancer pulley, and a lower hose in the past year) I think if they saw me every few weeks, I think deeper discounts would appear.

Sometimes the parts are less than aftermarket (not often, but...) This week I picked up a balancer pulley, thermostat & lower rad hose. They had to order the hose, and the manager said "I just get mine at the parts store downtown" I LOL and clued him about the wire coil thingy and how it prevents the hose from collapsing. In fact I have a brand new aftermarket hose on the trail-rig that needs replaced due to that...no 'savings' in doing the same job twice due to non-spec parts. FWIW the pulley was $13 less than AutoZone 'premium' brand.

I can't say much good or bad about their service department...other than that I can tell they don't want my business. No matter, since I was an industrial tech for a while & have long owned most of the hand tools I need to DIY. I've come to hate turning wrenches, but I also hate peeling off Ben Franklins for something I can do. There's also a 'trust' issue... Many repairs & upgrades I have performed on the Jeeps were 'new' to me. With some, I didn't exactly trust myself at first (R&P gear setup, engine swap for example) but I had difficulty finding a local shop I felt I could trust.

For 80% of the PM/ repair/upgrade work an XJ requires, a FSM and basic hand tools (and advice from the NAXJA faithful) is all an owner needs to get it done. I understand completely about money & time. If I had the income that allowed me to farm EVERYTHING out, I would, but I'd also be a picky SOB-much more so than of my own workmanship. I know I get what I pay for when I'm the monkey on the wrench.

I run a Ford Dealerships, and yes we make mistakes but...Dealers today are more honest then your local church!! Just watch the news, you all know the News guns for Auto Dealers, but funny how all the sting ops, hidden cameras, BBB complaints are all for the most part against Independents!!!
And no, it is not as lucrative as you may think. Most Dealers would make more money selling there property and putting there investment in a C.D:nono:

Do Ford guys look at the dates of posts too? In the past 3 years since someone posted to this thread, all dealership have been proven crooked by a congressional commitee (the most honest commitee in America).

Yeah, how'd you find this old thread?

Anyway, it's nice to see another Ford dealership guy building an XJ and starting to hang out here. I bought my first XJ while I worked at the Jeep dealership as GSM, and now I've been at Ford for 12 years as used car manager. Hope to run into you out on the trail one day.

Goatman said:
Yeah, how'd you find this old thread?

Anyway, it's nice to see another Ford dealership guy building an XJ and starting to hang out here. I bought my first XJ while I worked at the Jeep dealership as GSM, and now I've been at Ford for 12 years as used car manager. Hope to run into you out on the trail one day.
What you failed to mention Richard is that you are the most dis-honest sales guy there is. :D

^^^^^
was a joke...it was only a joke

Since this old thread got pulled back up.....when I need a OEM part for one of my Heeps....I call my local dealership.....they order it and call me when it comes in.....with no "you gotta pre-pay for the stuff" B.S.....great guys.

I don't know about the service department...NOBODY has worked on any of my junk for over 30 years except me...(OK so I don't do paint and body)..and I like it that way...

MudDawg said:
Since this old thread got pulled back up.....when I need a OEM part for one of my Heeps....I call my local dealership.....they order it and call me when it comes in.....with no "you gotta pre-pay for the stuff" B.S.....great guys.

I don't know about the service department...NOBODY has worked on any of my junk for over 30 years except me...(OK so I don't do paint and body)..and I like it that way...
It all depends on how well you know your parts guy. Our local dealer is a pre-pay type of place...unless they know you and then its all good.

So I have an edge....we installed the a/c systems in the dealership....and if there is a problem, they get top priority for repair.

Obviously it hits home with me, I run a Dealership. I cant speak for every state, but in California all you have to do is read, paper, TV, Bureau of Automotive Repair and its funny that you will rarely see a Dealership being mentioned. No its not cheap, but my equipment costs are crazy, my Techs go to school multiple weeks a year, get judged on customer satisfaction every day. My guys pay plans are based on Customer Satisfaction. Remember most Dealerships are family people just like you. I will have to say most of my unhappy customers wont listen, and have bad experiences everywhere they go.

I took my truck to the dealership to have an oil leak I could not find fixed. I was in a temporarry apartment and it was winter. They changed the oil cooling lines and the broken moter mounts that caused the problem. They changed all the 4x4 fluids and transmission fluid. They replaced some front end parts and replaced a seal in the steering box. Aligned front end and changed glow plugs. 1600 bucks. I thought that was a bargan for all the work they did. I was in bind. I needed to get another load from Arkansas and I needed the truck right. They made it right and I was very happy with the service I got. The mechanic showed me all the parts and how much of a pita it was to do the oil lines and mounts on a diesel. Do you really think some local shop would have the parts quality and service staff of a good stealership? No. Nobody will touch my stuff except the dealer if I can't find the time in my own shop. Im a picky mofo and will pay for good parts and service any day as opposed to taking a chance with crappy china parts and a high school edjucated mechanic.

Stumpalump said:
a high school edjucated mechanic.
Do you think the dealership mechanics have an MBA in auto mechanics?
BTW its EDUCATED. ;)

Dealership prices are crazy high, but the techs that I work around are pretty good guys for the most part. There's one at the dealership I'm in who I've had work on my wife's Focus and my Jeep. His only complaint is the influx of UTI grads. He doesn't feel they're trained very well when they arrive. But the dealer is always sending people out for training on this and that and keeping them up to date on the latest stuff.

Ray H said:
BTW its EDUCATED. ;)
No, but they see the same makes and problems day in and day out. They have parts on hand and know what the service bullitins have in them. It just the most efficient place to get a good job performed. Nobody needs an MBA to do anything but spell. Im a senior medical device engineer on a 1.6 average in high school and a 1.5 year electronics technition diploma. Bullshit and work ethic get you to the top a good edjucation only gets you a good start after you wasted 16 years of your life. I chose to have a blast those years and chose a work ethic when it counted. Seems like all I missed out on was a little spelling. Check out the mls listings in the town I live in today that I bought in with my crappy spelling:http://www.realestate.com/axx/applications/cob/asp/NSSearchResults.asp

Ray H said:
BTW its EDUCATED. ;)

Spoken like a true customer... Auto techs deal with pessimistic BS like this all day long. Not only that but, they also have to deal with getting screwed by warranty work, diagnosing phantom problems that don't exist (except in the customers mind) and, being looked down upon for being just a... 'greasy mechanic' with no education.

When in fact, as some here have stated, dealership techs are the most educated in their field. Most having at least a degree in Auto-diesel technology and others that have Associates degrees. All while going to constant dealership training, maintaining ASE certification levels and in some states, maintaining state certifications. The ASE and state certs are not always paid for by the dealerships. However, they are mandatory if you want to work at a reputable place.

The dealership will pay for specialty tools(manufacturer specific only), shop equipment, diagnostic scan tools, shop manuals, manufacturer computer software. As well as, some sort of broad generic online access to all makes and models shop manuals.

That doesn't even count the tens of thousands of dollars each tech has invested in his own tools and equipment.

I'd like to leave you with this message..... Take your patchouli stench back to your condo, pour you a glass of fine spirits, put on your smoking jacket.... and smoke a pole. If you ever get a chance to get your nose out of the air, we'll still be here...just some lousy ol' mokanix, ripping off the whole world, one car at a time.

Dirt said:
Spoken like a true customer... Auto techs deal with pessimistic BS like this all day long. Not only that but, they also have to deal with getting screwed by warranty work, diagnosing phantom problems that don't exist (except in the customers mind) and, being looked down upon for being just a... 'greasy mechanic' with no education.

When in fact, as some here have stated, dealership techs are the most educated in their field. Most having at least a degree in Auto-diesel technology and others that have Associates degrees. All while going to constant dealership training, maintaining ASE certification levels and in some states, maintaining state certifications. The ASE and state certs are not always paid for by the dealerships. However, they are mandatory if you want to work at a reputable place.

The dealership will pay for specialty tools(manufacturer specific only), shop equipment, diagnostic scan tools, shop manuals, manufacturer computer software. As well as, some sort of broad generic online access to all makes and models shop manuals.

That doesn't even count the tens of thousands of dollars each tech has invested in his own tools and equipment.

I'd like to leave you with this message..... Take your patchouli stench back to your condo, pour you a glass of fine spirits, put on your smoking jacket.... and smoke a pole. If you ever get a chance to get your nose out of the air, we'll still be here...just some lousy ol' mokanix, ripping off the whole world, one car at a time.

Well put

Back