• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 60 overkill?

Meh. I'd honestly rather have a shaved 14B. Full float, bigger gears, 1.5" shafts, cheap/easy to rebuild/build.

to each their own though ;)

I'd rather have semi float than full float, both gears are so big it wont matter, both shafts are 1.5", and a 60 is just as cheap and easy :)

But the 60 is probably gonna weigh less.

But agreed, to each their own.

This last time around I just threw 35 spline shafts in my 44 and went with it.

...I'd rather have semi float than full float...

Why? :confused:

Full Floater just pull the shafts, everything stays together, the hubs and bearings support the weight. An overall stronger design, IMO.
Semi-Floater, the weight of the vehicle is supported by the shaft. Break one and things do downhill quick.

Edit: Thinking about it more, the only advantage I can see for a semi-float is the ability to run 'blingin' center caps. :looser:

Last edited:
I'm looking for some opinions on running a Dana 60 rear. Currently I'm on 35's and may be going to 36's in the future. I came across a d60 housing cut to 61" wms to wms with 1310 pinion yoke, carrier for 4.56+ and 35 spline alloy shafts. Is this axle too heavy for an xj? Seems that most around here have the 8.8 for d44. Only reason I'm considering is because of a decent deal. Input appreciated! :wave1:

My personal opinion, start with tire size and build accordingly. If you're going to run 35" or larger then a D60 will do just fine. D60's are cheap if you shop around at the wrecking yards. I paid $100 for my Ford F250 full floater. By the time I re-geared, installed an ARB, 35 spline alloy shafts, and disc brakes I had about $1500 into it. Most D60's do not have 1.5" shafts, the stock Ford D60 that I have came with 1.3" shafts which isn't any better than a D44. I bored the spindles so I could run the 35 spline 1.5" shafts.

Why? :confused:

Full Floater just pull the shafts, everything stays together, the hubs and bearings support the weight. An overall stronger design, IMO.
Semi-Floater, the weight of the vehicle is supported by the shaft. Break one and things do downhill quick.

Edit: Thinking about it more, the only advantage I can see for a semi-float is the ability to run 'blingin' center caps. :looser:

Preference primarily, followed by weight, simplicity and not spending a retarded amount of money to get to 5x5.5 (which, i know is the opposite up front).

Its got the highest low pinion of any common axle, its very strong and much lighter than other axles of comperable weight (14b, 9").

I dunno about you Cal but I can lift a 9" with drums by myself... a little bit
a 60 I cannot budge...

my hurt-back-o-meter tells me a 9" is a ton lighter than a 60.:lecture:

but It sounds like a good deal but the shipping is as much as the axle:gag:

I saw an XJ at a local shop this week getting a Ford 9.75 put under it.
The owner wasn't around but I asked the guy working on it about it and he said the stock shafts are alloy have a higher torque rating than a 35 spline Dana 60 axle and they have big disc brakes.
Anyone else using one of these? How wide are they?

Maybe I have been out of the loop for a while, but what the heck is a ford 9.75? Is that the six lug rear in the new f150's?

Back