• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44

2000maroonxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I found this dana 44 out of what the seller says is a 1986 wagoneer. It looks good but the only question that I have is why in the sticky that crash posted does it only list the years 1980-84 as the 44's that will work in the xj. I want to move on this fast so any advice or coments would be nice. i've been looking to upgrade the lpd30 out of my 2000xj.

So I found this dana 44 out of what the seller says is a 1986 wagoneer. It looks good but the only question that I have is why in the sticky that crash posted does it only list the years 1980-84 as the 44's that will work in the xj. I want to move on this fast so any advice or coments would be nice. i've been looking to upgrade the lpd30 out of my 2000xj.

It could be an over sight. Mine is from a 1986 also.

Scroll down about 3/4 the way on this page:

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_3.htm

It lists information on Dana 44's from Full Size Jeeps.

From what I can tell, it looks like it'll have the correct lengths on the driver side and passenger side, not to mention it's a driver side drop. However, Dana 44's from the Wagoneers are Low Pinion, which isn't ideal for a front end swap. People still swap them in, but you're going to gain strength from a High Pinion housing in the front. Not to mention, with an axle like this, you're going to have to change your bolt pattern and possibly modify the bracketry on the housing, just to get it to fit. I could be wrong about the bracketry, I'm not familiar enough with the Waggy 44's.

I'd let this one slide if I were you. Keep your eye out for a High Pinion driver drop and start from scratch. Or, pursue a HP30 to replace your LP. That'll be more of a direct swap than a 44 will.

In addition, read through this entire website for all the information you could ever want on Dana 44's. It's very helpful.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Scott

do like i told you in your 60 thread just swap in a hp 30

Back