• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 question..

thinkofthecows

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

i just scored a rear Dana 44 out of an 1987 xj....there is only one issue(well maybe not if i get the response that i want :rof:) I have a 1991 xj that i would love to put the 44 in but my axle ratio that is in my dana 30 is 3.55 and the ratio in the Dana 44 3.54. My question is ... would it bind my transfer case even though there is just .01 of a differance?....

thanks,
Tom

Won't be a problem.

Same gears in my F-100. The T-Case is part time, so no dry pavement in 4WD.

J/K - you'll be fine. OEM ratios typically differ by a point front/rear - 3.07/3.08 said:
why??????

why??????

They're typically biased toward the front axle. I've not yet been able to confirm, but I'm fairly sure it's so that the front axle can "pull" the vehicle - especially handy if you're recovering from a skid, get mildly stuck, or something like that.

Part-time transfer cases usually bias toward the front, and likely for a similar reason.

huh that wasn't the case on my cousins powerchoke. He swapped in a 1-ton axle in the front and it had either 4.10s or 4.11s and the rear had vice-versa and he destroyed his spiders gears as soon as he put it in 4wd

huh that wasn't the case on my cousins powerchoke. He swapped in a 1-ton axle in the front and it had either 4.10s or 4.11s and the rear had vice-versa and he destroyed his spiders gears as soon as he put it in 4wd

Curious. I wonder if it wasn't a coincidental material failure? I don't think I've ever seen the front and rear axles with the same ratio...

The explanation I read here os all places, is that the axles are rarely the same, and thus the ring gears are no the same diameter: No way to get identical sets.

Part time transfer cases bias 50/50, since the front and rear turn at the same speed.

Fred

Couldn't tell ya. Just remember that a part time case is "locked". There is no provision for the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds, thus it has to be 50/50.

Fred

Hm. Wonder why I'm thinking 52/48, then...

......maybe that's why they warn you not to drive on hard surfaces/pavement in 4wd? :shhh:

.....unless you have something like the np242 which has the doesn't lock the t-case 50/50 option.

Last edited:
Couldn't tell ya. Just remember that a part time case is "locked". There is no provision for the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds, thus it has to be 50/50.

Fred

Hm. Could be - I'll have to dig around on that some more when I start digging around on transfer cases again.

Back