• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakar

Eddy_AL

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so this isn't exactly a tech conversation but I thought you guys would probably be ones I needed to ask.

Has anyone here done the Dakar? ever considered it? Now that they moved it to South America, I am really interested in it.

I am just brainstorming at this point, but love the idea of running a Cherokee in the modified production class. I know I would get together sponsorship, build a team, etc. I'm just looking for ideas, advice, etc.

Anyway, thanks in advance...

Build it like a 1700 car. Be careful with the cage design though as they require some really specific design elements.

Good luck on the sponsorship - you will need it! If you think desert racing in the US is expensive, wait until you see the price tag for that.

Thats a slick looking WK! I wish I had 79 grand... I bet a could build a better JS rig for that price though.

Thats a slick looking WK! I wish I had 79 grand... I bet a could build a better JS rig for that price though.

You could build 3 top of the line 1700 cars, with spares, and fund a season of racing.

Unless you are very wealthy it is way over the heads of even the best desert racers in the USA.My buddy that works at Cal Time has helped Robby the past 4 years,the logistics involved are tremendous.Just getting your vehicles there is insane.If you truly have the desire check into what money and sponserships are availible.Good luck.

If you want a dakar experience with a fraction of the price, try Africa race or Pharaohs rally in africa you need to get used to long distance endurance races to make your car lives through the 7 stages (you dont want to rebuild your car every stage).

Also the driving is totally different climbing a 100ft dunes in soft sand in a 2wd 4000lbs car is just impossible.

Thanks for all the input...
I have some contacts in South America.(I just got back from Bogota last night). I work for an international biotech company and am hoping that if I decide to move forward with it, I can generate enough interest with some of our business partners to get the sponsorship money.

I'm just getting started with the research but if this does move forward, is anyone interested in getting involved?

Talk to me. The $79,000 for the race car includes $20,000 of spare parts and a load of wheels and tires. I am negotiable and can offer support vehicles. FIA/Dakar build rules are different to Jeepspeed. This car fits into a class where you could win. A Jeepspeed car would run in open class against $300,000 cars. After competing in Australian Safari twice and 7 years of Dakar experiences you need a car that can run long distances at over 115mph. I am motivated and I want to see this jeep at Dakar. Call Clive at 714 538 7434. Be aware, entry fee is $10,000 for every team member, plus shipping to and from S.America, gas for race car and support vehicle, hotels, airline tickets, etc, etc. The race car is the cheapest part of the equation.

We did the last 40+ miles at Parker this year with the engine held in with ratchet straps after the mounts sheared off the block. I've also patched an oil cooler line with a band-aid and a zip tie.

OK, now you guys just need to come up with 10 grand apiece! If somebody can spot me 7 grand, I can help out too!

Geee, I had no idea there would so little interest... LMAO.

Clive,
Thanks for talking with me last night. I enjoyed it. Today, I start hunting for funds. I have a great deal of talking to do. Time to hit the money trail...

.....After competing in Australian Safari twice and 7 years of Dakar experiences you need a car that can run long distances at over 115mph...

7 years of Dakar experiences :shocked: Would love to hear you put some meat on that story, please!

Also I have a burning question: Has Jeep never competed at Dakar in an official or individual capacity? And if not, why is that?

I guess the other question that I would like to know the answer to is: In your view, how would the Jeep XJs (given equivalent resources and support) hold up in competition to the Mitsubishi Evos and VWs which have traditionally dominated the Dakar?

Back