• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 Install

Wheeled the Crawl. Noted issues. Tires need more wheeling to flex better. Rear is dropping on steep ledges and front is unloading bad because of it. Current plan is a limiting strap in the center rear so it will flex but not drop out on climbs. It flexes like a pretzel when it needs to. :)

DSC01263.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

Good example of the unloading with the rear drooping.
DSC01328.jpg

looks great man, I still think the track bar could stand a little more length. as for the unloading...... hell I always liked pogo sticks....wheelies are cool right?....the light weight of the fiberglass tailgate should counterbalance the........ ok yeah you might want to limit something heh....call me monday

ghost... how about the front bumpstop issue?

ghost... how about the front bump stop issue?

What bump stop issue? I only had one fall out! :clap: :D Oh wait are you referring to the big bang every time the coil tried to slide by the ghetto bump stops?

Ok been busy and only wheeled URE once since July. But I did finally get my Ironman 4x4 Fab Tie rod in. So soon we will be installing it, but first I have to whell the XJ this weekend!

Just got this in today!

12012009001.jpg

12012009002.jpg

12012009003.jpg

More of his work....

very nice! any update to the rear unloading issue?

very nice! any update to the rear unloading issue?

I'll know some more after this weekend. I'm also waiting on a set of Andy's adjustable shackles. Plan is to see how it acts with my normal load of tools and such. At MM I hand an empty ass. So I think that contributed to the bouncy lack of a plant to the rear. Going to wheel it with the tools and spare parts this weekend.

Update:

Unloading is less with weight in the back. Christmas was good! Just got 5.38 gears in and ordered a lock right for the front and 35 spline shafts. I got a sweet deal on a D60 spool for the rear this past year. Cleaned up the spare D60 I bought for $50. The boring tools from East Coast Gear were all out and Chase put me on the list. Lennie, local mech that I wheel with, says he may know someone that can bore the spindles with an end mill. So the current plan is to clean up the spare housinng and get the spindles bored. If it does not go well I have the one under the xj and can wait on the booring tool. :woohoo:

Brown Santa arrived in 3 shipments over the last few days!

D60Gears001.jpg

D60Gears002.jpg

D60Gears003.jpg

awesome ghost!

What backspacing did you go with? Kevin

IIRC around 3.5" Got the front gears in over the weekend. Going to see about getting the spindles bored this week.

Lennie putting the fronts in last week.

D60Gears004.jpg

D60Gears005.jpg

Had a set back. I ended up with the wrong spool for the rear. A quick call to Chase at ECGS on Tuesday and the correct one was delivered on Wednesday. This weekend I'll get the perches and shock mounts welded on and everything in place. If time permits I'll be doing some leaf spring pack modifications. More to come L8R! :wave1:

OK we have progress again:

Went to Lennie's yesterday to try and wrap this thing up. Got over there about 10 AM and had to wait on him to get motivated. Once we got started I went to putting the disk brake kit on and he went to checking my hubs. Needed new bearings so I have to make the first part run.

Gears017.jpg

Gears018.jpg

Gears019.jpg

At this point we discovered that my old studs were not going to cut it. So in my limited availability of parts stores and parts here, which took me 3 parts runs to two different stores to get sorted out, we settled on some 9/16th studs and got to a point where we could put it all together and set the new $8 Chrysler perches in place.

Gears020.jpg

Gears021.jpg

Finished up last night around 10 or so at his shop. Loaded it on the trailer and brought it home. This morning I came to the shop and got to work. I finish welded the perches in place and cut down my new shafts and set them in place.

Gears023.jpg

Gears022.jpg

We did not do the Ford F150 leaf spring bastard pack because it looks like even with it I will have to address the shackle. So that will come later. The rear line from the xj to the axle was cross threaded, :tears: , so I had to order that today. The TRE's for the new tie-rod are also on order. When moving the xj around the PS pump finally is giving up. So, I had to order one of them too.

So to recap, the ford studs did not work with the brake kit I got of NC 4x4 and I still have to hook up the rear breaks. Hopefully all that will get done in the next two days.

Welcome to our next installment on how to build and wheel your jeep! I recently received a package to the shop!

Aiken055.jpg

I wonder what this could be..... Hmmmm, lets take a look!

Aiken056.jpg

Wow! Nice looking brackets! Thanks Brian for "donating" them to help extend the WB of my xj and solve my shackle angle! I really appreciate it!

So now with these brackets, hopefully in the near future I can rework my rear end springs and add a traction bar.

Well, I had a hickup with the brackets.....

Aiken058.jpg

Something is not right.... :confused1

Back