• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 Install

if you flip the leaves in the rear you'll get 5" of stretch, at least that's what I got. That just opens up a whole can of worms-the fuel tank needs to be moved (I moved mine up 9" and back 3" and it JUST fits at full stuff, and then there's the whole upper shock mount thing. That was a huge PITA to removed. I'd just cut the DS down, shouldn't cost but $50 around here.

Yea I really dont want to flip the leafs. I am thinking about trying to move the front mount down and back. That way ill get a better shackle angle.

Last edited:
i cut out the rear shackle boxes and built my own. I also redrilled my leaves to relocate the axle farther back. It didn't take all that long and I'd think that would be a hell of alot easier than locating the front mount.

i cut out the rear shackle boxes and built my own. I also redrilled my leaves to relocate the axle farther back. It didn't take all that long and I'd think that would be a hell of alot easier than locating the front mount.
Redrilling the leafs is not a bad idea. Last time I drilled an xj leaf I destroyed a drill bit. Any idea what size the center pin hole is on alcan springs?

Cut the shaft, clearance the wheelwell and wheel the damn thing. See how she works and rework this winter if you need to.. :cheers:

Looks good Glenn

I don't know about alcan springs, I just used 2 sets of stock XJ leaves and redrilled those back 5" to 3/8". I used a TiNi coated bit with a steady drip of cutting out with the drill press. made pretty quick work of it.

After stopping by and seeing the beast in person...the pics do not come close to what that animal looks like in real life.:cheers:

P.S.
Thanks for the parts.

Started the cut on the rear after work. Angle grinder with cut off wheel jumped back at me. Could have been really bad. :shocked: Folded some of it and welded it in place. It's not perty but it me doing it! :thumbup: I installed a conversion joint in the front shaft and attached it to the front axle. Thinking about using a Bronco DS I have laying around to cut down. Hopefully will get that done this weekend sometime.

Some of the partially cut fender.

D60s_0010.jpg

The inside.

D60s_0011.jpg

Rear will be done the same way except I'm taking the bottom section up.

D60s_0012.jpg

I went to visit my friend Lennie Sunday and we cut down an old Ford DS that I'm going to use for the time being. Plans for after work are to install rear DS and continue on the cut and fold on the rear.

Got the rear cut this week and started putting stuff together and found a mistake. So Saturday I had to cut off the TB mount and the Upper link to reset the caster. I read the deg finder wrong and was not paying close enough attention to the pinion angle. TY Dave for the help and friendship!!!

l_d7695238565945a49b25b51e4258906b.jpg

Cutting off the good stuff
l_0fc20acb9eb847ce99b19f80b49051f6.jpg

This could take a while
l_24704fca13c84b0eb9d3a04c0826eb97.jpg

Getting cleaned up
l_1d84800a6a9945a197455ed3d27f75e2.jpg

Tac-Tac-Burn...
l_91cb5585cd424982b5a7297e45833749.jpg

Going back under
l_36aedd6b2df64e21a3481a17d47c77c8.jpg

Dirty Ghost
l_826cd65922f74c069dd0b10e48329f1b.jpg

Looking better

l_639e2335c767455ebc8904a02f507c0b.jpg

Oh Joy after only 10 hours......
l_fae182711eed4e8ea80094b4e89e04d7.jpg

12 hours later
l_acb0ca7ac6cd481fada8151b29f64be0.jpg

:wave1:

I cut down a Bronco shaft I had laying around and it fits perfect. However, it looks like the downward movement is non-exhistant. I'm thinking I should have cut down the toms wood shaft. So we will be looking at clearancing the DC joint and maybe cutting down a XJ front for a spare. I need the front slipyoke, I lost mine, off an xj so if anyone has a messed up DS and wnats to donate it to the biuld for a spare.... I'l gladly pay shipping.

is use xj fronts, front and rear (both lengthened)......are you gonna leave your tie rod down there?

is use xj fronts, front and rear (both lengthened)......are you gonna leave your tie rod down there?
Do not follow the xj's front question. If you are asking about my DS's then no it uses TW custom shafts front and rear but the rear is too long by about 2". I have plans to put the tre on top of where it is. I have not reamed the knuckle yet. Want to pull it out of the shop and clean up the mess. I still need to weld the rear and get a front locker. $$$$ are tight though, I may have to wheel it welded open for a little while. :(

Coming along nicely bud. Did you run out of front shafts out back?

You've thinned out up top over the last few months... :moon:

Coming along nicely bud. Did you run out of front shafts out back?

You've thinned out up top over the last few months... :moon:

Yea I saved one but lost the front slip yoke... lol! Go figure.

Hmm I came in to work this morning and found this!

D60s_0013.jpg

I know something is different I just cann't put my finger on it. :wierd: :D

The floor is pretty clean?

I have to weld the diffs now. I probably pull the carrier in the rear since its not that hard to get at but the front I'm thinking about leaving in there to weld. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Hmm I came in to work this morning and found this!

D60s_0013.jpg

I know something is different I just cann't put my finger on it. :wierd: :D

Other than the floor is a bit cleaner...???....I just can't put my finger on it.:jester:

I'd be terrified of welding the spiders with the carrier in, it'd be to easy for some weld splatter to get into a fight with the bearings. I would think the 2 hours to pull the hubs apart, pull the carrier, and put it all back together would be worth the piece of mind.

Back