• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 and D44 Pinion Seals?

Ben97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What are the steps to replacing the pinion seal on a d30 and d44?

Is there anything to do with the gear setup that I risk messing up?

I am about to buy 2 axles that have some seepage around the pinions seal. I just want to know how big of a deal it is to replace. Can I just remove and re torque the pinion?

Thanks

On the D30 You can simply remove the yoke, replace the seal and torque the yoke back on. The D44, I believe, uses a crush sleeve. You would be best off replacing the crush sleeve, but you could try torqueing the pinion nut very slowly until the proper grag torque is achieved on the pinion. Take note, however, that if you exceed the recommended max torque on the pinion nut then you will have to replace the crush sleeve anyway, so better off to replace it to start with.

jeeperjohn said:
On the D30 You can simply remove the yoke, replace the seal and torque the yoke back on. The D44, I believe, uses a crush sleeve.
Incorrect. It is the other way around.
On all the ones I've worked on Dana 30 has a crush sleeve and the XJ Rear Dana 44 does not.

The Dana 44 will be a "simple" replacement provided you can get the seal out without removing the pinion, it can be done... but in my experiances requires patience. Get the torque specs and the tension on the pinion yoke correct and you're done.

The Dana 30 (if done the proper way) will require a new crush sleeve and alittle more work.

Last edited:
From some further Google research I have found that the 44 and HP30 do not have a crush sleeves and the LP D30 does.
Can anybody verify this?

I have done high pinion D30's and they did not use a crush sleeve. Maybe the LP D30 does. I have done one D44 and it used a crush sleeve. I was assuming it was a high pinion.

A low pinion D30 used a crush sleeve, a high pinion D30 and a D44 both use shims for preload, in fact the both use the same pinion seal, and the same small pinion bearing. there in nothing to replacing them take the nut off, remove the yoke, pull out the seal, then reinstall.

Back