• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF 3 Row Radiator the best way to go?

I was having high temperature problems, so i took it to a radiator shop to get it checked out. Well i apparently had a 3 row radiator in my cherokee and it tended to overheat and it was only 2in wide. Well i ended up buying a 2 row and it is 2 inches wide also. So that tells me one thing, the fins in the 3 row are tighter together so its harder for air to travel through the radiator. Secondly the fins on the 2 row are bigger than the three row.

I will get back with you guys tonight or tomorrow to let you know how the 2 row works versus the 3 row :). As well as i am going to be taking out the mechanical fan and puting in a 14 inch cyclone fan that will pull 2600 cfm :) and only draws 9 amps. So that should be done in the next couple of weeks

I have a 2000 Sport, 4.0,that is my DD. I don't do any hard core wheeling, just off road camping and the occasional trip to a secluded mountain ghost town.

Have you checked to see how the Champion or AE fit into a 2000 XJ? I've heard that there is some modification requirements, so that's why I'm asking. Let me know which one you go with and how the install goes. I also have a 2000 Sport Cherokee and I'm about to redo my entire cooling system. Thanks in advance!

Have you checked to see how the Champion or AE fit into a 2000 XJ? I've heard that there is some modification requirements, so that's why I'm asking. Let me know which one you go with and how the install goes. I also have a 2000 Sport Cherokee and I'm about to redo my entire cooling system. Thanks in advance!

Hey Diesel - I've been researching this topic like crazy for the past few months. And you are correct, there are slight modifications that need to be made to the the XJ and to the radiator, but nothing that is drastic (if it was, I wouldn't be doing it). Anyway, here is a link that I found to be very informative on the CSF 3 row radiator install - http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cooling-system-upgrade-69207/ look at post #9 in particular

Also, Milford Cubicle II talks about what he had to do to his CSF and Jeep when he installed that radiator earlier in this thread (he even included pics which I find extremely helpful).

I'm not really sure which one I want to go with at this point. I've read pros and cons of 3-row vs 2-row - I'm kinda, sorta leaning toward the AE at this point though, mainly due to the cost.

My CSF 3 core bolted in with no modifications, what needs modified?

The CSF is not the radiator that needed modifications earlier in this thread it was the Champion unit that required the necessary modifications to drop in which was only slight fitment issues that were relatively easy to work around.

My CSF 3 core bolted in with no modifications, what needs modified?

Unless if there is another radiator that is superior, I’m planning to go with the CSF 3 core.

Is there any data to show that the Champion is any better than the CSF?

It's all hand welded aluminum. I like that.

It would be a total pita to confirm which is better. You would have to test each radiator in the same vehicle under identical temps, road conditions and plenty of other controlled tests to come up with a definitive answer.

Either one will work better than stock though.

It's all hand welded aluminum. I like that.

It would be a total pita to confirm which is better. You would have to test each radiator in the same vehicle under identical temps, road conditions and plenty of other controlled tests to come up with a definitive answer.

Either one will work better than stock though.

Fair enough……. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t missing anything. I like the easy drop-in of the CSF 3 core, so I’m sold!

I'm not trying to swing your decision one way or another but I wouldn't let the very minor modifications it takes to bolt in a champion discourage anyone from buying one. I mean it takes the normal time of installing a radiator from two hours up to maybe two hours and 15 min. Its seriously minor stuff.

I guess I jumped the gun going direct through Champion, cause now you can get them from resellers on eBay for $176 shipped.

I'm not trying to swing your decision one way or another but I wouldn't let the very minor modifications it takes to bolt in a champion discourage anyone from buying one. I mean it takes the normal time of installing a radiator from two hours up to maybe two hours and 15 min. Its seriously minor stuff.

Understandable. I certainly don’t mind paying more money or putting extra time into a better product . But it sounds like the two radiators are very equal in performance.

It takes you two hours to replace a radiator?

No not any actual numbers that I know of. The reason I bought a Champion over a CSF was because it's all aluminum, which conducts heat much better than copper or brass. The fact that it's well built, tig welded, machined filler neck, etc. is just icing on the cake. And I had heard of CSF's failing. Not very many at all but it put some doubt in my mind.

The CSF is not the radiator that needed modifications earlier in this thread it was the Champion unit that required the necessary modifications to drop in which was only slight fitment issues that were relatively easy to work around.

Oh, i thought someone had mentioned the CSF needed modifications.

No not any actual numbers that I know of. The reason I bought a Champion over a CSF was because it's all aluminum, which conducts heat much better than copper or brass. The fact that it's well built, tig welded, machined filler neck, etc. is just icing on the cake. And I had heard of CSF's failing. Not very many at all but it put some doubt in my mind.

I think your reasons are certainly notable. Is Champion the radiator that requires a slight cut to the radiator support in order to drop it in?

Back