• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CrazyJim's Jeepspeed/Prerunner XJ build

Nice progress Jim. I like the short arms too.

Just FYI, when I built the frontend around the Teraflex knuckle I set it up to run the drag link under not over the knuckle. I don't think I had as much clearance as you do (I had less back spacing on my wheels I think) and also there are so many variables with the amount of pitman arm drop and track bar upper mount.

Also, I welded the counter sink washer to the lower track bar mount to run a 1/2 inch counter sink bolt the opposite direction you show. It was the one compromise I was never really happy with and I'd say your on the right track running it the way you show it there. I would recommend cutting that washer off though to get a better tightening surface.

It looks like your on the right track and I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Chris

Nice progress Jim. I like the short arms too.

Just FYI, when I built the frontend around the Teraflex knuckle I set it up to run the drag link under not over the knuckle. I don't think I had as much clearance as you do (I had less back spacing on my wheels I think) and also there are so many variables with the amount of pitman arm drop and track bar upper mount.

Also, I welded the counter sink washer to the lower track bar mount to run a 1/2 inch counter sink bolt the opposite direction you show. It was the one compromise I was never really happy with and I'd say your on the right track running it the way you show it there. I would recommend cutting that washer off though to get a better tightening surface.

It looks like your on the right track and I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Chris
So you were going to run the drag link UNDER the knuckle? Wouldn't you run into more bind issues this way? I haven't bolted up my pitman arm yet to see what the angle is going to end up being, need to wait for spacers. I suppose I can give that a shot though if things are way off and if it'll give me more room between the heim and the wheel/tire.

As for the track bar mount, I noticed the spacer, but figured it'd probably be fine for now. I may whack it of when I notch the plate for the jam nut.

Hopefully the next time you're out racing you can honk at me while you fly by it ;)

I ran 1/2" bolts with misalignments that allowed plenty of misalignment so bind was never an issue. I'm pretty sure I would have run it on top but like I said the wheel backspacing/clearance was the deciding factor in putting it below. The only other thing to watch for is drag link-to-frame clearance at full bump.

Looking at the pics, it looks like your drag link and track bar will be close in length and angle. My only other recommendation is to hold off on welding the track bar until after you get your drag link mocked up. You might find you want to move the frame side of the track bar after you get your drag link in there. Like I side, it looks like they'll be pretty close, and I only say that because I cut/weld/cut/welded my track bar and drag link several times to get them right.

Chris

yeah Jim, I have some 1/4" spacers from the jeep Mr Amrein sold me that I never used, they are yours if you want them, was going to use them for tire swings/spare mounts, but I am running 5x5.5" now.

I ran 1/2" bolts with misalignments that allowed plenty of misalignment so bind was never an issue. I'm pretty sure I would have run it on top but like I said the wheel backspacing/clearance was the deciding factor in putting it below. The only other thing to watch for is drag link-to-frame clearance at full bump.

Looking at the pics, it looks like your drag link and track bar will be close in length and angle. My only other recommendation is to hold off on welding the track bar until after you get your drag link mocked up. You might find you want to move the frame side of the track bar after you get your drag link in there. Like I side, it looks like they'll be pretty close, and I only say that because I cut/weld/cut/welded my track bar and drag link several times to get them right.

Chris
It looks like I'm going to have to put a bend in my drag link towards the end to clear. In order to run the heim under the knuckle it needs to be bent. Over the knuckle will be a terrible angle unless I run on top of the pitman arm as well, which won't work as I'll hit the oil pan.

That would be awesome, I'm assuming they're billet not cast?

They are just cut from 1/4" hr steel, no studs or anything, just a clr'nc hole for the hub nub, and clr'nc holes for the studs, don't even think you could get real wheel spacers that thin as the studs wouldn't be able to be countersunk so it sits flush on the ub surface. He was using them to space out the knuckle, I forgot exactly why, too many projects between then and now:).

I'll take 'em! How much and you want paypal or what?

Cheeap mang:). I will check on shipping tomorrow, see what they weigh and wether they can go in an envelope or needs to be flat rate box, $5 plus shipping? I'll throw in some steekers:). I can ship them tomorrow too if you need them asap. Just pm me your address and I'll send them off, and you can pay me whenever. Paypal is fine.

About friggin time! That thing looks BA Jim!

x2 Whats going on with your build bro?

ixcm0n.gif

Everything's for sale Tony. $9k takes it right now with all the parts the way she sits. Otherwise I'll finish her when I get time.

I'm finally catching up with things. It sucks to see you sell your rig Jim. I never met you but you've been an inspiration to me and a lot of folks. I have no idea what/ where you're going, but good luck sir!!!

I think they can now lock this thread, Jim is a quitter.It's a sad day in the world cause he won't finish this jeep.

GLWS dude.Hope to see you out in truckhaven this coming season.

Back