• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cone style air filter questions??

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1990 pioneer and i want some preformance intake upgrades...i bought some cheep cone intake and put it on my regular intake hose....it feels fine is this ok?? and is there a better way?? i did a search and came up with snorkel ideas and a rusty's kit....i dont plan on adding a dual batter system yet but i can if i want too...i would like some ideas from ya'll

I bought a complete riceball intake kit for a honda civic. I sawed the honda intake pipe to fit, expoxied in some aluminum bungs for the CCV and charcoal canister, and mounted it on a piece of the aluminum bracketry that came in the honda intake kit. I was trying to get the dual-cone filter close to the outside air entering the engine bay as it comes in around the headlight.

The jeep performs noticeably better throughout the rev range. But there's a new problem. It's easy to spill coolant and power steering fluid on the filter. Still thinking of making a shield, or partition from the rest of the engine bay.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nemegt/album?.dir=/mail&urlhint=actn,del:s,1:f,0

I have the Rusty's Air Tube with the 9" filter and works pretty good to me. It sure sounds like it has a lot more power than my jeep really has but it gets some attention. I just wish i knew if it gave me more or less power in the end considering you suck up a lot of heat from the engine.

92DripCherokee said:
I bought a complete riceball intake kit for a honda civic. I sawed the honda intake pipe to fit, expoxied in some aluminum bungs for the CCV and charcoal canister, and mounted it on a piece of the aluminum bracketry that came in the honda intake kit. I was trying to get the dual-cone filter close to the outside air entering the engine bay as it comes in around the headlight.

The jeep performs noticeably better throughout the rev range. But there's a new problem. It's easy to spill coolant and power steering fluid on the filter. Still thinking of making a shield, or partition from the rest of the engine bay.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nemegt/album?.dir=/mail&urlhint=actn,del:s,1:f,0

i found a sheild at advance auto i was gonna pick up

does anyone feel a diffeance with a bigger cone or with an aluminum pipe??or K&N?

here is pic's of how i rigged mine last night in front of the store just for temp. use...

2252584_12_full.jpg

2252584_11_full.jpg

Last edited:
does anyone know if this will work??

yellow-crankcase vent of some sort
and
red-some sort of fitting mounted to stock air tube

or

green-fitting to air tube
red-fitting to air tube

what is the blue tubes??

2252584_13_full.jpg

i've been running the little filter (yellow) for a few months now with my snorkel, no problems. I got the idea from Ketjar. search for his snorkel and intake pics.

Chris

Mothertrucker said:
does anyone feel a diffeance with a bigger cone or with an aluminum pipe??or K&N?

here is pic's of how i rigged mine last night in front of the store just for temp. use...

2252584_12_full.jpg

I had a filter that size and realized it was actually smaller in filter area than the K&N stock size panel filter I had been using.

I now run a stock replacement K&N in the street rig and a much larger K&N cone in the trail rig. Ultimately you need to have a larger surface area AND a larger flow of cool air. Arguably, you were better off with the stock airbox versus the setup you have now....the filter would have been the same size or larger AND getting dedicated cooler air from the front.

One other thing you can do if keeping the airbox is removing the cold air flapper assembly in the front that directs air from the exhaust manifold when cold. It frees up some space for larger air flow. You can also cut a series of holes on the fender side of the airbox to let more air in.

2252584_16_full.jpg

here is a newer pic with the stockair box still in place because i am still playing with this idea....i put a crank case vent filter on also i still may add a 6" section of tubing and weld up a bracket not sure still

2252584_17_full.jpg

Back