• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Been a little while since I've done some fab.

Dusted off the tube bender and used a new die.

The shop is a farking mess right now.

20170328_192023_zpspogwdek7.jpg

20170328_192504_zps1t9uuosh.jpg

20170328_215219_zpsiub6qsg6.jpg

Not where I had originally intended on mounting it:

20170329_000525_zpst9w4ec2m.jpg

Aaaaand this is what you end up doing when you manage to break the inlet nozzle on your nice MIG Gun. Had to do it, and pump up the gas cfm to get enough at eh nozzle. As well, needed contact from the inlet nozzle...so tape helped to hold that :laugh:

I just CAN'T leave stuff alone.

Once I get back from EJS, I'm going to start into revamping my cooling system...to become one of the most expensive 4.0L cooling systems ever done :laugh:

I'll get the same griffin radiator, but with -16AN male fittings (instead of normal outlets).

Form there, -16AN fittings, braided hose to the waterpump and T-Stat housing.

So, the means getting a new waterpump and T-stat housing, and having some -16AN fittings TIG'd on.

My cooling system right now is adequate, but I want to get rid of the 7 soft hoses I have, and 4 solid tubing pieces.

It will be a much better piece of mind known there is no chance for leaks :D

Soft hoses may be part of what helps it be leak free?

Soft hoses may be part of what helps it be leak free?

The soft hoses on there now (i.e. flexible hose you can find at your local Autoparts store), aren't the best when it comes to my setup. When I built it, I didn't really know about doing it another way (nor feels spending the funds were justified).

Right now, I have ~13 points that could leak IF a clamp were to loosed up, the rubber fatigue, balloon up, etc.

I had to run two separate solid pieces if tube since one solid piece wasn't doable.

So, I have soft lines in the subframe area (a real PITA to get to).

With moving to braided hose, I'll be able to snake it through and have leak free fittings at all ends, that are much easier to put on and off.

As well, I'll be moving from ~1.5" ID hoses...to -16AN (0.88" ID).

I'll let that sink in for some, since that might boggle some that -16AN would be adequate :laugh:

The hardest part to swallow is the fittings (~$40 each), and the hose (~$10-20 per foot, x ~30 ft. that I need).

Between my fuel, trans cooling, steering cooling, etc...

I'd be able to drop a well tuned V8 in and change absolutely nothing plumbing efficiency wise :laugh:

I'll have as much cooling capabilities as some Ultra4 cars...

W, if you must.

If I am choosing between a zj and a wj, I take the wj everyday, all day.

Why? Just curious, I'm an old fart and may need a comfy ride someday. :)

A wk or wk2 with a 2" lift, sliders and the qd2 system will do most trails you would want to take a nice jeep and be super comfy, reliable, and fun for a dual purpose DD.

To ZJ or not to ZJ, that is the question.

Damn dyslexia, I thought we were going to talk about these:

Or if you're at Mr. T's house:

Or if you're on a plane:

Or if you're in the mood for something sweeter:

Or if you're ballin' on a budget:

I've got way to many pics of JZ's on my phone...

LOL, I do love me some Jack and Coke.

I've always liked the ZJ, but haven't done one yet. WJ's and WK's are too much of a pain to lift/fit bigger tires and are getting a bit on the large side. A ZJ is about the same size as an XJ but already has a V8 and rear coils. It also has a little bit nicer interior and a bit more room. Sadly enough, they (and WJ's) are cheaper than 97+ XJ's, and typically in better shape for that lower price too. Even if all was equal between the WJ and ZJ, I'd prefer the old 5.2L V8 for its reliability over the 4.7L in the WJ.

It would still be built with the same intent as the XJ I have. 37's, D44/9 combo, cage, mostly trailer but still streetable.

LOL, I do love me some Jack and Coke.

I've always liked the ZJ, but haven't done one yet. WJ's and WK's are too much of a pain to lift/fit bigger tires and are getting a bit on the large side. A ZJ is about the same size as an XJ but already has a V8 and rear coils. It also has a little bit nicer interior and a bit more room. Sadly enough, they (and WJ's) are cheaper than 97+ XJ's, and typically in better shape for that lower price too. Even if all was equal between the WJ and ZJ, I'd prefer the old 5.2L V8 for its reliability over the 4.7L in the WJ.

It would still be built with the same intent as the XJ I have. 37's, D44/9 combo, cage, mostly trailer but still streetable.

Buy a Toyota. They have frames.

The 4.7's reputation is overblown - I am on my second 200k+ 4.7. The WJ is only slightly wider than a ZJ (61" wms), will wheel damn well with quadrajunk and factory LSD's, and takes JK axles fairly easily- front is damn near bolt in. Much nicer inside than a ZJ. I'd rock a WK too, DAvids right, but they are selling in a different zip code than ZJs and WJs... JZ's though do remain pretty cheap...

David, Toyota's are way too pricey for my tastes. I need 4 doors, and as much as I would like to rock a 4Runner or CC Taco they just cost way too much. Besides, as much as I hate to admit it the truth is I'm a Jeep guy.

I already have a HP D44 and Ford 9" to swap into things. JK Axles are way over priced for what they are. No matter what platform I decide upon its getting those axles and 36" Iroks.

I do agree that the 4.7L is a more reliable engine than rumor would suggest, and if I were keeping it stock I would definitely take a WJ over a ZJ. For what I want to do with it I feel the WJ has too many hurdles to get around.

In the end I already have an 87 XJ with a very clean and rust free body sitting next to the garage I can build. My cheap ass will probably just stick with it. I've just been tossing around the idea of a 97+ XJ (would prefer specifically a 98) or a ZJ as they're a little bit nicer interior wise. The ZJ having a V8 and factory coils, plus being cheaper/easier to find than a 98 XJ, seemed like a nice bit of frosting for the cake.

Back