• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Well, got the interior panels for the buggy repainted tonight.

Hopefully using Hammerite and adding some hardener will make the panels more resistance to chips, damage, etc.

Hammerite >>>> Rustoleum...wish I had used it from the beginning.

On another note, seems my Stater Relay fuse (20A in the PDC) keeps wanting to blow.

The moment I put another fuse in...POP.

Ugh, not to trace that down and see why it's popping immediately.

T-Minus on week...

Order two 2.5lb fire extinguishers for the buggy...ouch!

~$270 for two fire extinguishers hurt...but is a drop in the bucket if/when it comes to saving your skin (literally) and/or life and maybe in the end the buggy.

The mounts I ordered should be here today.

Now to figure out where they'll get mounted...

Order two 2.5lb fire extinguishers for the buggy...ouch!

~$270 for two fire extinguishers hurt...but is a drop in the bucket if/when it comes to saving your skin (literally) and/or life and maybe in the end the buggy.

The mounts I ordered should be here today.

Now to figure out where they'll get mounted...

What kind of fancy can did you buy...lol...for $270 I can buy like 10 or more 2.5 lb 10a b c or 10 B C ...A 10 is not a very large can I bought a pack of 8 for about'$150 they are rechargeable , but I still just trash them after use . I stopped using the wet extinguishers after the Tornados I had failed and left me swatting a grass fire with a welding blanket and a nice burn on my forearm .

What kind of fancy can did you buy...lol...for $270 I can buy like 10 or more 2.5 lb 10a b c or 10 B C ...A 10 is not a very large can I bought a pack of 8 for about'$150 they are rechargeable , but I still just trash them after use . I stopped using the wet extinguishers after the Tornados I had failed and left me swatting a grass fire with a welding blanket and a nice burn on my forearm .

Since it's the buggy, and it would be a pain to clean up...

I went with Halotron 1 filled units.

I got two of the H3R Performance HalGuards.

Quite a few (i.e. a lot) on Pirate swear by them, so it's good enough for me.

Hell, the fast fill stuff I just put on my fuel cell cost nearly that.

$300 for me, while still a good chunk of change, is still very worth it.

And, if I did have to use them and it saved my rig, I can guarantee after cleaning all the powder out of everything I would gladly pay the extra for the Halotron 1 gas :laugh:

Since it's the buggy, and it would be a pain to clean up...

I went with Halotron 1 filled units.

I got two of the H3R Performance HalGuards.

Quite a few (i.e. a lot) on Pirate swear by them, so it's good enough for me.

Hell, the fast fill stuff I just put on my fuel cell cost nearly that.

$300 for me, while still a good chunk of change, is still very worth it.

And, if I did have to use them and it saved my rig, I can guarantee after cleaning all the powder out of everything I would gladly pay the extra for the Halotron 1 gas :laugh:

If I have a fuel fire the bit of dry chem powder is the least of my concern ...what is the range and time until empty and square foot rating on these ?

If I have a fuel fire the bit of dry chem powder is the least of my concern ...what is the range and time until empty and square foot rating on these ?

Here's what I got two of:

http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250b.htm

To me it's not just the dry chem powder, but with the powder, once you use the extinguisher it's rare it can be used again until recharged.

With the Halotron 1 stuff, it can be used over and over, which to me a good "in case".

I'm honestly far more worried about electrical fires than any of those.

All my fuel and trans lines are covered with fire sleeve, along with any larger main wires.

Powder can also settle and compact (with all the vibration), leaving you SOL as well.

Here's what I got two of:

http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250b.htm

To me it's not just the dry chem powder, but with the powder, once you use the extinguisher it's rare it can be used again until recharged.

With the Halotron 1 stuff, it can be used over and over, which to me a good "in case".

I'm honestly far more worried about electrical fires than any of those.

All my fuel and trans lines are covered with fire sleeve, along with any larger main wires.

Powder can also settle and compact (with all the vibration), leaving you SOL as well.

You know they make those in chrome for about $20 more ?...figured you would go bling .

He'd rather have a fire suppression system, so he doesn't have to open the hood. :gag:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fire-suppression-systems

I thought about doing a fire suppression system like that...

But for me it seems to be a little "overkill" (though yes when it comes to fire, overkill is hard to reach).

If this were something like an Ultra4 car...oh hell yeah :laugh:

I'll run the two 2.5lb'ers for now, and maybe see about adding another later.

From a financial standpoint it may be better if my Jeep did catch fire and burned to the ground .

Something is better than nothing! I have some cheap Kidde ones in mine. Hopefully it would at least give the Jeep a chance if something happens

They will do the same thing they just leave a corrosive powder mess ...lol...I keep one in my tool shed and the pin fell out and I hit the handle and it took me 2 hours to clean that up ...the wet style aerosols are more effective and clean up better and are not corrosive , but like the Two I had fail they don't work reliable when close to their freezing point .

From a financial standpoint it may be better if my Jeep did catch fire and burned to the ground .
:shhh:

My Mrs. said something along those lines. I started hiding the gas can.

Something is better than nothing! I have some cheap Kidde ones in mine. Hopefully it would at least give the Jeep a chance if something happens

Make sure to check yours.

After doing a bit of reading, you might be better trying to throw dirt on it that using those.

Many times they lose pressure, even it the gauge (if it has one) says it's green.

I found one of those cheap kiddies in my shop and decided to try it outside (wasn't going to rely on a random fire extinguisher anyhow).

Gauge was green...it did...nothing.

I would advise EVERYONE to go by your local fire services place and pick up a good, all metal (siphon tube, handle, head, etc.). You can get a good, rechargeable one for $40 or less from what I've found. If I don't go H3R on the DD XJ, I'll get one of those. I'll be getting a 20lb. one for the shop, and another for the house.

Picked this up yesterday to replace the Eclipse for DD duty. 2004, 4.7L, 165K mi. Body isn't too bad but needs a little TLC, interior is about a 7/10. I wanted to get a 5.7 Hemi but I didn't like the gas mileage numbers.

Now I just need to make it "Mine".

Make sure to check yours.

After doing a bit of reading, you might be better trying to throw dirt on it that using those.

Many times they lose pressure, even it the gauge (if it has one) says it's green.

I found one of those cheap kiddies in my shop and decided to try it outside (wasn't going to rely on a random fire extinguisher anyhow).

Gauge was green...it did...nothing.

I would advise EVERYONE to go by your local fire services place and pick up a good, all metal (siphon tube, handle, head, etc.). You can get a good, rechargeable one for $40 or less from what I've found. If I don't go H3R on the DD XJ, I'll get one of those. I'll be getting a 20lb. one for the shop, and another for the house.

The ones I have are kiddie and they are rechargeable ... I don't have extinguishers kept around for years but I would say the hr3 could fail you in service just like a kiddie if left sitting for years . Since the kiddies are cheap I can just toss them after use or due to age . I have Two 40s that is 80 square feet of coverage ability ...that beats TWO Hr3 2.5 with a 10 square foot rating ...The mess however would also beat them , but my Jeep has mostly a steel interior with drain plugs so a blast with the pressure washer or trip to ...DA CAHR wash...and that's fixed ...LoL I will probably get a couple bling chrome Hr3 after I get a few more big ticket items on my Jeep that I need to keep up with the Jones with .

The ones I have are kiddie and they are rechargeable ... I don't have extinguishers kept around for years but I would say the hr3 could fail you in service just like a kiddie if left sitting for years . Since the kiddies are cheap I can just toss them after use or due to age . I have Two 40s that is 80 square feet of coverage ability ...that beats TWO Hr3 2.5 with a 10 square foot rating ...The mess however would also beat them , but my Jeep has mostly a steel interior with drain plugs so a blast with the pressure washer or trip to ...DA CAHR wash...and that's fixed ...LoL I will probably get a couple bling chrome Hr3 after I get a few more big ticket items on my Jeep that I need to keep up with the Jones with .

Kiddie does make higher end ones, but that's not what 95% of people have. They have ones you buy at Home Depot, Ace, etc.

As a rechargeable unit, it should be checked (certified) yearly and have charge added as needed.

You might toss yours after a year, but check the fire extinguishers of most 4x4'ers, and I'm sure less than half would actually work (the kiddie I kept in my jeep didn't work either when I took it out).

You carry two 40's in the Jeep?

I don't exactly have loads of room to spare in the buggy.

As I said, a fire extinguisher is meant to save your life, if it saves the rig, it's just icing on the cake. I'm not using a 2.5lb. fire extinguisher to put out my shop...just the rig, or allow me enough time to get out and away from the rig.

Talking with people who HAVE had to use their extinguisher on their rigs, if it gets into the electrical...plan on replacing most of it all...it doesn't come out, and that's not something you can pressure wash out.

As my electrical is more "exposed" being in the buggy, I'll opt for hopefully not having to redo it all after having spent over 100 hours in the last few weeks rewiring (when I didn't HAVE to).

Kiddie does make higher end ones, but that's not what 95% of people have. They have ones you buy at Home Depot, Ace, etc.

As a rechargeable unit, it should be checked (certified) yearly and have charge added as needed.

You might toss yours after a year, but check the fire extinguishers of most 4x4'ers, and I'm sure less than half would actually work (the kiddie I kept in my jeep didn't work either when I took it out).

You carry two 40's in the Jeep?

I don't exactly have loads of room to spare in the buggy.

As I said, a fire extinguisher is meant to save your life, if it saves the rig, it's just icing on the cake. I'm not using a 2.5lb. fire extinguisher to put out my shop...just the rig, or allow me enough time to get out and away from the rig.

Talking with people who HAVE had to use their extinguisher on their rigs, if it gets into the electrical...plan on replacing most of it all...it doesn't come out, and that's not something you can pressure wash out.

As my electrical is more "exposed" being in the buggy, I'll opt for hopefully not having to redo it all after having spent over 100 hours in the last few weeks rewiring (when I didn't HAVE to).

A lot of things fit when you still have a full body and no back seats ...Most on trail Jeep fires the driver can get out before harm the extinguisher just helps prevent starting the forest on fire or losing your rig...lol...I have roughly 1000hrs into my XJ I'd rather not lose it to a fire I could put out easy with a simple tool .

Back