• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Got the jeep all fixered up. Other then the locking lugnuts. I need to take it to discount friday and have em pull those off for me. Heres a couple pics over by troys house. :D

Lol... I've done the same thing, in the same place. FYI, there's another coin-op about 3 miles east of there on County Line and it's much better. Its cleaner, the washer works a lot better and switches faster, and there's a digital screen that shows how much time you've got. Haven't gone back to that one since I found the new one.

Those serpetine belts are the shizzznit! Also, this is the heaviest D-44 I ever rasseld...EVER!!! :)

ALL_CATCH323.jpg

Jeezus, what's that LP D44 with hydro steer assist for?

The owner named it HULK. I spent the day thinking "Bride of Frankenstine." It cam with a FF 8 lug rear, he wants matching wheels. :)

After getting intimate with the 8 lug front axle, I'm not so sure it's a D-44.

69Bronco006.jpg

What's he gonna do with the axle that's currently under the "Hulk"? That wouldn't happen to be a D44 would it???? :shhh:

:D

Those serpetine belts are the shizzznit! Also, this is the heaviest D-44 I ever rasseld...EVER!!! :)

ALL_CATCH323.jpg

Uh... gf saw this and said "don't 44's have 6 lug?" :D
8 lug is one ton. D44 is 3/4.
Ya sure that ain't a 60?

unless they added the one ton knuckles and stuff to keep the wheels matching and add bigger brakes. the axle tube looks kinda small to be a 60 too....

It came off a mid-'70s Highboy, tag reads:

ED D6TA AAE
610005 1R 4.09

Anybody wearing their decoder ring??? :D

YELLAHEEP said:
What's he gonna do with the axle that's currently under the "Hulk"? That wouldn't happen to be a D44 would it???? :shhh:

:D
Why yes, it is a D-44, with a high pinion and (I think) disc brakes. He's not sure if the knuckles and brackets are cast on or welded.

It came off a mid-'70s Highboy, tag reads:

ED D6TA AAE
610005 1R 4.09

Anybody wearing their decoder ring??? :D

Why yes, it is a D-44, with a high pinion and (I think) disc brakes. He's not sure if the knuckles and brackets are cast on or welded.
The axle model number is cast into one of the webs.
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/XGI.pdf

Uh... gf saw this and said "don't 44's have 6 lug?" :D
8 lug is one ton. D44 is 3/4.
Ya sure that ain't a 60?

Ford and Chevy both used 8 lug D44's in their 3/4 ton trucks. I think Dodge and International used 8 lug D44's at some point too but I'm not sure on that one.

I've learned something new, or maybe forgot. The 610005 is the Dana/Spicer BOM. Interweb searches indicate that it is a D-44.

Anybody ever use a D44 rear out of a scout? I can get it for $100 from a buddy of mine. He hasn't called with the measurements yet. I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for.

Anybody ever use a D44 rear out of a scout? I can get it for $100 from a buddy of mine. He hasn't called with the measurements yet. I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for.

I ran one for several years -- if you get one out of a Scout II, it will be 58" wms to wms, you'll likely want a 1" spacer, but with a spacer/adapter that allows you to get back to 5 on 4.5. I ran a TSM disc brake kit, but if I were to do it over with, I would have stuck with the HUGE 11" drums on the Scout II. I exploded the Trac-loc carrier in mine, and based on the metal content of that early 70's carrier, I would avoid that LS like the plague. IIRC the tubes are a little thin compared to stock XJ D44's, but thicker than most of the TJ versions. Otherwise, cheap, widely available axle uses all regular D44 internals. If its out of a Scout 800, it'll be way to skinny to fit on XJ leaves, so pass.

Aside from what grin said, some early scouts also used a course spline D44 (16 spline IIRC) that you'll wanna stay away from if you can.

Aside from what grin said, some early scouts also used a course spline D44 (16 spline IIRC) that you'll wanna stay away from if you can.

That'll only be Scout 800's from the mid-60's, and yeah, they're 19 spline but you can't use them anyways. All the 70's through early 80's Scout II's will be regular 30-spline D44's.

Back