• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I'm jealous! I bet that's a cool area. It seems the moment you leave the us there's 3 times as many diesels around. EPA has done a wonderful job of making those too expensive to bring here.
34eafeb3bf6ccff935b56794e9277e19.jpg

Imagine the mpg you'd get in this little guy.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So can oil pan gasket leaks near the RMS look like an RMS leak when all one looks at is Bell housing cover plate bottom bolt where it drops form?

The leak stopped today, no burning smell and dry exhaust pipe and the bolt was not dripping, just wet. She has put 2200 miles on it already with no leak there before and this was a one day leak going up hill on a long mountain climb trip. Looks like she used 1-2 quarts of 10W30 in that 2200 miles. Not sure if it is 1 or 2 quarts...

We still have some chlorinated solvents, so far.

Oil pan bolts to RMS question: No.

I am currently "between jobs," so, I can schedule time to cover the basic diagnostics.

My daughter just reported 275 mile fill up to fill up trip using 12 gallons of gas on her 1989, 230,000 mile 4x4, new to her Cherokee in CO.

I suspect a small 1-2 gallon error in the 12 gallon number. But who knows.

So can oil pan gasket leaks near the RMS look like an RMS leak when all one looks at is Bell housing cover plate bottom bolt where it drops form?

The leak stopped today, no burning smell and dry exhaust pipe and the bolt was not dripping, just wet. She has put 2200 miles on it already with no leak there before and this was a one day leak going up hill on a long mountain climb trip. Looks like she used 1-2 quarts of 10W30 in that 2200 miles. Not sure if it is 1 or 2 quarts...

I just pulled a Napa (gold?) oil filter off of my 1989 White 4x4 Cherokee I bought a few years ago, parked while I was ill and finally started prepping for service. The filter was the PO's.

The engine was run a week ago, and today when I replaced the NAPA oil filter it was bone dry. The Anti-drain back valve, if had one, and I think it did, failed!!! I have never changed a K&N oil filter with out oil getting everywhere as it dumped the oil it retained thanks to the anti drain back valve, and upside down filter location. That is one reason I never use anything but K&N filters now on Jeeps. I read something years ago about most others have ADB Valve leak down problems.

Anything can fail .

pan gasket can leak...rear main can leak...trans input seal can leak and drip there...valve cover gasket can leak and drip down...all are easy to replace at home ...lol...Lifted rigs don't even need jacked up .I bought two RMS when I did mine just in case it got messed up , but it was easy other than the constant drops of oil on my noggin .I wish I put a new oil pump in while the pan was dropped...hindsight.

welp...Mike I'm a bit tired of you removing and moderating my posts selectively , so we are finished as a paying member on.Naxja...

1-tonxj said:
welp...Mike I'm a bit tired of you removing and moderating my posts selectively , so we are finished as a paying member on.Naxja...

It wasn't me, this time.

Besides, linky no worky. I had to go through a couple different log ins just to see the attachments. I thought that was just me, but apparently I'm not the only one who couldn't see the pictures.

Last edited:

My daughter just discovered (burning smell) while driving up a mountain side pass that her 1989 XJ is leaking oil on the exhaust pipe, and smoking...

Also need to make sure it is not a CCV line clog building up pressure in the crank case combined with a steep drive uphill that caused it. I think she has already put maybe 1000 maybe 1500 miles on it with no issues, so the long up hill drive may have triggered it.

Can one buy the Tetrachloroethylene, non flammable, paint safe, brake cleaner aerosol up there at the parts stores? It is great washing off oil fast and drying fast. But some areas no longer allow its sale, Kalifornika I hear.
It sounds like you taught her to downshift and keep the RPMs up while pulling a grade. :thumbup:

It should be easy enough for her to get a can of brake parts cleaner and make sure the CCV line is clear.

FWIW, at stock height, with close to stock tires, our '90 would get fuel mileage in the low 20's.

It wasn't me, this time.

Besides, linky no worky. I had to go through a couple different log ins just to see the attachments. I thought that was just me, but apparently I'm not the only one who couldn't see the pictures.

Well they show fine when previewing and when I viewed the post...also if you did need to open them up to view them this would not give you justification to just f-ing delete a persons posts....and not even inform them you did so ...hey maybe if Naxja used that membership money to update their site pictures could be posted fast and easy like most sites ?

Where is that?

It sounds like you taught her to downshift and keep the RPMs up while pulling a grade. :thumbup:

It should be easy enough for her to get a can of brake parts cleaner and make sure the CCV line is clear.

FWIW, at stock height, with close to stock tires, our '90 would get fuel mileage in the low 20's.

We think alike, I was thinking a possible CCV blockage issue on the rear small orifice line pressurizing the crank case during the climb as well. Especially still using 10W30 on a rig with 230,000 miles that granny (second and last owner) may have only used for a grocery trip once week the last few years. First owner was the city. Get it hot enough, and push that grade and no vacuum in the crankcase, and there you have it, a leak.

My sons 96 Ford Taurus, did that at randoms times too, new PCV valve helped a bunch, and thicker oil. It had close to 300,000 miles on it. Always took a massive leak climbing 6 floors to the top floor of the parking garage after a long 40 mile freeway trip in 100 F weather. Idle it for 30 minutes in park, zero leaks LOL. Oh and the exhaust pipe flange from the exh manifold was 1/2" from the bloody oil filter OEM LOL. 4 of 5 broken engine-transmission mounts did not help the Exh flange seal either LOL.

Got windows again can stop tarping the Jeep ...I probably should have held off on buying the Lexan since the home depot only had a big sheet of uv resistant in .093 and I think the front door windows would have been better in .125-.188 since they slide up and down .I think.I am going to do the rest of the windows in Lexan as I break them . It is pretty hard to scratch from what I can see while cutting it and can cut out for a gas filler neck .

Going to Chinamans this weekend to see how well the old rubber holds a rock I figure the far left side if whales tale is an ok test of if the rubber still grips acceptable ...the tread is 26/32nds but the rubber is 10 years old , but if it still does the job I can justify spending this state and federal check on struts ...also want to test out a properly bumped and limit strapped suspension ...lol...going to have no limit straps for the rti ramp and a proper set up for trail I can't believe the difference a center rear limit made playing around on stuff in the woods here by the house , So With only an 8 inch lift 116 wb and 94 inch track width it should take a lot to flop this now .

Sounds like fun, I'm planning on having the rig at the Chinamans run in April.

Lexan for the windows, and worry they'll scratch up fast?

Not worried about scratching just the .093 is not as rigid as I would like on a window that slides in the track , but it should be ok .

I recall some many years ago I was at a keg party and a drunk smashed a Beer bottle on my ARB bull bar and kept trying to start a fight by leaning on my ZJ I could have kicked the guys a$$ but instead left politely and put a 33 swamper SSR into the door of his geo metro as I left ... lol...I can kick a couple folks asses today but 44s really speak pretty loud on trail .

Back