• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Forney is generally junk as far as I can tell. Only cutoff wheels I've had fly apart but I haven't tried Harbor Freight ;-)

I never have issue with wheels the only ones I had come apart were my fault cutting and getting the. wheel caught at an angle ...I just cut most of the middle out of my xj using 7 inch hobo wheels on my $250 dollar dewalt ...I figured I'd paint that funny picture of hobo. Wheels spinning around on a dewalt . I always have full face on cutting grinding sanding I really need to get goggles for under the shield I keep getting small sh it in my eye ...lol...today I had no water and had to flush with cucumber lime Gatorade .

On another cheap Chinese note the last two cheap hoods I got from the hobo like to not work the first time you go from grind mode back to weld and flash you ...since I switch around a lot I get flashed a lot ...so in the interest of not getti g welders flash I will be buying a higher end hood ...the hobo hoods were great a while back but the last two I had have issue flashing me .

Don't right off your local welding shop. Local shops may vary but I've had good luck with mine. They know for certain market segments they are competing with online sales. Exact pricing may not match but they often toss in extras to even it out. Good plan on dual eye protection. Wearing only one, I had a piece of metal lodge into my eyeball and wouldn't flush out. At the eye doctor he asks me what do you do for a living... so he says "Oh good no grinding." Well.... Good respirators go a long way too. Seeing the haze in the air, the respirators before and after, and the air compressor filters that also ingest that.. you don't want that stuff in your lungs.

Last edited:

MIg typical 75/25 gas .030 wire er70s--6 ...I had hobo wire do the same...lol...Forney is China wire and other than saying Forney on the the box it looks just like hobo wire box and I tossed a New spool of hobo wire last year for the same issue ...It's a coin toss on quality control with cheap Chinese wire.
Damn! I thought I had another roll of flux-core wire. ;)

Both of you are making a good case for secondary eye protection. I have heard more than a few stories of indirect UV exposure causing retina burns. Clear (ANSI Z-87 rated) safety glasses won't do anything for light intensity, but they will block harmful UV radiation. Best part is, a comfortable pair of safety glasses cost less than a Co-pay at your favorite medical institution. :)

Yeah goggles under the hood ...I added material to my hood to keep light out from the Sun and stray sparks but really still need goggles especially over head .

and the respirator is really a good idea I keep forgetting to pick up dust masks for this project at the end of my day I got black snot ...I don't mouth breath my nose catches most of The dust ,but metal dust is certainly not good for health lungs or other wise ...my full face Apr is way to big for this work I use it for paint ...which will get used when the Monstaliner goes on ...color still in the air...but the rent-a-cop vinyl stripes are Going ...lol...should have been gone first day I got it .

Don't right off your local welding shop. Local shops may vary but I've had good luck with mine. They know for certain market segments they are competing with online sales. Exact pricing may not match but they often toss in extras to even it out. Good plan on dual eye protection. Wearing only one, I had a piece of metal lodge into my eyeball and wouldn't flush out. At the eye doctor he asks me what do you do for a living... so he says "Oh good no grinding." Well.... Good respirators go a long way too. Seeing the haze in the air, the respirators before and after, and the air compressor filters that also ingest that.. you don't want that stuff in your lungs.

US welding has decent pricing ....lol...air gas on the other hand is super proud of their stuff . I need to stop there this week and ditch this q cylinder and upgrade to an S I got the q for outside but I can run a q out in 3 days .

Damn almost done with passenger side ...it has been 3 solid weekends it should have been done a week ago , but a couple mistakes I made resulted In a ton of extra fit work to get it right...first I cut all the braces individual with a 7 inch cut off wheel this took a ton of work after for them all to line up with each other ...then I set them too far forward on the base if the New rocker and burnt them home very solidly all 4 sides then burnt home the center braces...lol...then realized the skid plates Sat about .5 inches lower than lip of the New rocker leaving a gap ...I had no flat bar so I cut a roughly sized section out of some 1/4 plate and welded it to the face of the rocker and the top of skid to take up the gap and I figured how hard could it be to trim it flat so I burnt it home...well trimmi g the excess off the lip of the skid and that fill piece took a long tome to get looking like one solid piece ...then back to the rocker itself I From the start planned to cut the end at an angle slide a couple gussets inside under the base where the exo mounts and then cap the ends...never gave it a thought how much work it would be trying to cut those ends with rocker welded In ...the driver side should be real fast since I Wil not be chasing these mistakes that took so much time to work around...oh I forgot I at first got pretty far fast and did not expect that so I did not pick up the plate for the skins , I repurposed some 3 /16th to get it done by cutting the bottom out of my Rustys gas tank skid to look like one solid section on the truck I I first welded the plate sides to the braces leaving a 3/16th gap I full seam welded then ground down...I did this on every seam...lol...I saved no time over calling it quits and waiting to buy New plate and resume next week..lol...like I said driver side will be faster .

Then comes putting doors back on ...should just go General Lee style with tube and skins ...but I'm not that smart .

fccbbc0452948d615695887db0dbb7ef.jpg

476dd8ee5f84fcb3065222d37ba0ef6d.jpg

Hmmm, why is my serpentine belt so loose...?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

:laugh2:

Kicking myself I forgot to measure my storage cabinet to see if an S cylinder fits before leaving for work so I had to get another Q... the Q really don't last long enough on bigger welding projects...got a nice Miller dust mask for under my hood so my snot will not be black and lungs can stop being punished by stupidity. I had some cheap paper ones but they break easy and fit poorly with a hood on.

What are S and Q cylinders? I always heard of them in terms of CF. Like 20, 80 CF.

Q is 80 c.f. S is 150 c.f....gas fill for an S is about the same as a Q but you get twice as much...and make half the trips to exchange tanks or fill if you own on my 10 year please I can upgrade tank size anytime I'm just not sure the bigger tank fits the cabinet still on the cart.

From what I've read Sabics is the place to buy a sheet of. UHMW smallest they sell was 10x8 in 1/2 inch ...lol only going to use about 4x4 of it on the boatsides maybe a bit to skin my belly pan...then the rest is going to sit ...seems like a bit of a waste of $400.

Fort Collins Plastics most likely has it. They will cut to order.

Not sure this is a good deal or not was looking at buying psc hydro from a CL seller used low miles and time on it but seller is not sure what he has 2.5 or 2.75 de ram...he wants $1000 and that is a bit less than a New kit with no pump by a few hundred...lol...I have a history of buying stuff quickly without researching....I think b4 I drive to the Springs I will see if he can come up with part numbers if not it is probably best to buy this New and get the warranty of new and just pay the extra coin up front .

While it was a good deal, and the jeep is in pretty good shape, nervous about this xj we just snagged up.
97. Auto. Prior state trooper vehicle. (Weird because it's still floor shift and carpet. However the holes for radio and computer mounts are all present. As are the unfaded paint areas where the decals were. ).
Hoping for 1300 it turns out to be an alright ride for him, it's his first car.

Back