• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico March 14 ~16

mikedashg said:
Is anyone going to Calico that might live by me in N. County (SD)? Say ~ Escondido/Poway/Rancho Bernardo.

Or at least drive by me on there way home/work/etc?

I'm leaving out of clairemont and am gonna driveright past ya.

Mike needs one of you two guys to get a printer from me in Calico and take it to him in SD. It's not very big.

If at all possible. Thanks.

Hey everyone, My name is Braden, and i just moved down here from oregon and couldn't bring my jeep down yet. I would still like to see some trails and get to know some of you. Anyway this trip sounds like fun and if anyone would let me tag along that would be cool. I could only to a sat run or come back earily sun. I can help out with gas if it makes any difference. I live in irvine. Thanks

djblade311 said:
unfortunately, Lion's memorial services will be held on March 15 at 2:00PM which conflicts with wheeling on Saturday. I really want to go to his services but then again Lion would want us to wheel. so im undecided right now. We should hold memorial for Lion on the trail

Josh: From what I gather from the e-mail from the rough wheeler guy, it's a gathering at a restaurant, and not a burial/ash placement service or anything.

I can't make calico due to some appointments I have in the morning, so I might go to the restaurant afterwards. It would be nice to drive my Jeep up, to add to the wheeling vehicles in the parking lot, but it's 2 hours to the location for me, and I'll probably be taking my DD. Much cheaper/faster/more comfortable.

He did mention a wheeling event that would include spreading of some ashes. I mentioned placing a placard or something as some had suggested earlier.

Kejtar said:
Here's another thought: you geocache folks... how about gettijng a geocache going there with a lion or two inside in memory of Lion?

We could place one at the memorial run that's TBD at a TBD location. It could be a "lion themed" cache. There's a "cat themed" cache not too far from Calico that I've visited.

Calico Cat Cache:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5ffd3569-be7e-49fa-81f9-2466788cc4ce

My log w/ pics from Calico Cat Cache...
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....65cd&IID=755ae26c-2804-42fd-939c-1c9a0d5f20d0

If it's not too far from me, I can father it (like the Stoddard one that several us placed at the 5th Annual SoCalXJ Jambo in 2004):
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCHY1Q

SanDiegoXJ said:
No problem. I'll be there friday till sunday, just don't let me leave without it.

Thanks Mike! I'll PM you my address/phone #/directions if you can stop by on your way home on Sunday. If not, we can hook up some other time. Clairemont is much closer then Costa F'n Mesa.

So is it only accuweather or is it really supose to be "Windy" on sat?? I just got done dealing with TDS and "Windy" and it blew! haha really though that SUCKED!

If its going to be the same this weekend in Yermo/calico then I may not make it. But who knows.

anders88xj said:
Hey everyone, My name is Braden, and i just moved down here from oregon and couldn't bring my jeep down yet. I would still like to see some trails and get to know some of you. Anyway this trip sounds like fun and if anyone would let me tag along that would be cool. I could only to a sat run or come back earily sun. I can help out with gas if it makes any difference. I live in irvine. Thanks

Hey Braden, you are more than welcome to ride along with me. My wife and daughter are going too but they arent liking the idea of waking up and leaving early. I plan on driving there Saturday morning for just a day and coming back Sat night. I work in Irvine but live in Santa Ana. PM me if you wanna tag along and I'll give you my contact info

anders88xj said:

Hey Branden,

I am doing Sat only. You are welcome to ride along with me. I am working on my XJ this week to get it ready. If I don't finish, I will just take my wife's TJ, either way, I am going.

There will be a group of us meeting somewhere along the way and driving up together. I live in Lake Forest, not far from Irvine. I plan on leaving around 5:30 AM.

Shoot me a PM or give me a call if you are interested....

My cell # is 714-319-7135

Have any trails been decided yet? I'm bringing the wife,kids & mother in law & just trying to get an estimate about how long the trial ride is being I have never ran Calico before. We want to hit the Ghost town after & want to make sure we have time to do so.

Thanks,
Billy

hellbilly04 said:
Have any trails been decided yet? I'm bringing the wife,kids & mother in law & just trying to get an estimate about how long the trial ride is being I have never ran Calico before. We want to hit the Ghost town after & want to make sure we have time to do so.

Thanks,
Billy

So, seating is?
You and wife in front,
kids one each seat in back,
mother in law on roof rack?

:dunno:

:flipoff:

hellbilly04 said:

Thanks,
Billy
Usually we're back from trails about 3ish ~ 4ish. If a group wants to return fast that's not a problem either (does not take that long: you can actually run the whole loop in about 2 hours or less if you dont stop).

On Sat the plan is to stop at 2pm in memory of Lion (2pm is when they're going to have services) so that might play with the time a bit, but again it's usually not an issue to get a group back to camp earlier.

Ok thanks Remi. Will have to play it by ear if I'm bring the Jeep or not, might just hit the ghost town with the kids.

Kejtar said:
Usually we're back from trails about 3ish ~ 4ish. If a group wants to return fast that's not a problem either (does not take that long: you can actually run the whole loop in about 2 hours or less if you dont stop).

On Sat the plan is to stop at 2pm in memory of Lion (2pm is when they're going to have services) so that might play with the time a bit, but again it's usually not an issue to get a group back to camp earlier.

hellbilly04 said:
Ok thanks Remi. Will have to play it by ear if I'm bring the Jeep or not, might just hit the ghost town with the kids.

Well bring the Jeep too. I am sure the in law can handle it up gatekeeper. I hear its a freeway on ramp now... You take the kids and wife to the ghost town, let her get it...

hellbilly04 said:

There is plenty of time to check out the ghost town after running the trails. My wife and daughter came with me last time and ran the trails, we were finished by 2:30 PM and spent about 2 - 2 1/2 hours in the ghost town which is MORE than enough time to see the attractions.

ok ok ok guys I will bring the jee with the missing..p

djblade311 said:
There is plenty of time to check out the ghost town after running the trails. My wife and daughter came with me last time and ran the trails, we were finished by 2:30 PM and spent about 2 - 2 1/2 hours in the ghost town which is MORE than enough time to see the attractions.

Back