• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico March 14 ~16

Leep said:
Thanks Remi,

Andy, do they charge you to park your RV ?
Yup. $18/day... same as a regular no-hookup site. During the outing in Januray 2007, I parked next to the fence and Kevin parked on the concrete pad in back. They used to have hookups back there, but the connections have been removed. Essentailly, there's enough room for two small motor homes or one large one on the side.

Andy

Last edited:
JohnX said:
Yep, camp fees like all the rest. You can get a spot in the campground ( about a quarter mile from us), or park next door like I do. The only problem is there is really only 1.5 spots next door. I usually get the half spot, and Andy takes all the rest...but it really is first come first serve on that. And you run the risk of upsetting the ranger, then he'll make you move.

I dont mind staying in the campground. I will figure it out and let everyone know.

Thanks John

IslanderOffRoad said:
Program director for a BSA summer camp

Heh, I take it back. Don't want a job like that anymore. 9 years of summer camp staff, with 3 of it scoutcraft and handicraft director. Been there, done that. Wouldn't want the program director or camp director spots- always time when the crap hits the fan. Way to stressful, and the stress comes from problems you didn't make.

I'll be at Socalxj's event. It's been ST. Patty's day weekend for a couple years now. Of course, you _KNEW_ that when you reserved St. Patty's day weekend right???
If I recall, you guys did Calico in Late Feb or in January last year? So now 2 wheeling trips for me have been consolidated into 1 date, and I can only be in one place. On the bright side, this saves on gas. :(

markw said:
I'll be at Socalxj's event. It's been ST. Patty's day weekend for a couple years now. Of course, you _KNEW_ that when you reserved St. Patty's day weekend right???
If I recall, you guys did Calico in Late Feb or in January last year? So now 2 wheeling trips for me have been consolidated into 1 date, and I can only be in one place. On the bright side, this saves on gas. :(
Actually I didn't even think it's St Patty's. I just went down the list of available dates with the reservation folks and that was the first date that came up.

Kejtar said:
Actually I didn't even think it's St Patty's. I just went down the list of available dates with the reservation folks and that was the first date that came up.

Well, it's created a big stink now. Socalxj has has been doing their run on that weekend for the last couple of years, since Calico was usually in Jan/Feb with Naxja, and that gave guys time to repair their junk before Jambo.

markw said:
Well, it's created a big stink now. Socalxj has has been doing their run on that weekend for the last couple of years, since Calico was usually in Jan/Feb with Naxja, and that gave guys time to repair their junk before Jambo.
you're kidding, right? The Calico run that I put together is not an official run. It's me renting the bunkhouse and whoever wants to show up, show up. If it conflicts with another event? Well... it happens. I chose the first date that was available (I think I waited to long to make reservations) and made reservations. Heck... first few times I put that on, I think we had only 5 or 6 rigs there. However many folks show up I don't care. Big group around the camp fire is cool and so is a small group.... all I know is I want to go wheeling again in Calico and that's the first date the bunkhouse was available......

OMG OMG OMG the edrama, the edrama!!!

Someone wash the sand outta my vag!

Web wheelers can be a finicky bunch. :) Looks like Ryan has moved the socalxj date to February at truckhaven. I still want another shot at claw, this time without getting pulled off that rock at the top. :)

markw said:

Yeah, and before those couple of years that it was in March, it was ACTUALLY a Jan/Feb thing for many years (until this came along). The Jan/Feb time was also the ORIGINAL SoCalXJ event that had been running for like 5 years previously. This event is the reason why it got switched to March/St Patty's.

Kejtar said:
you're kidding, right? The Calico run that I put together is not an official run. It's me renting the bunkhouse and whoever wants to show up, show up. If it conflicts with another event? Well... it happens. I chose the first date that was available (I think I waited to long to make reservations) and made reservations. Heck... first few times I put that on, I think we had only 5 or 6 rigs there. However many folks show up I don't care. Big group around the camp fire is cool and so is a small group.... all I know is I want to go wheeling again in Calico and that's the first date the bunkhouse was available......

No kidding. I think the FIRST official SoCal NAXJA Chapter run was at Calico around that time in Jan/Feb. So maybe that's why people think it's "an official NAXJA event" since (IIRC) you've been awesome enough to keep it running every year following the first official run at the same timeframe/place.

Mark, you can go to both, since we'll just move the jambo AGAIN. ;) No worries. See you around the campfire, we can have a group hug then. But only after a few rounds of slivovitz. :D Right Remi?

Kejtar said:
Hey.. Slivovitz rocks :D but I don't know about the group hug thing ;)
Carefull... Remi makes you eat a pickle after doing a shot.

43750_G.sized.jpg

over2land said:
Heh, I take it back. Don't want a job like that anymore. 9 years of summer camp staff, with 3 of it scoutcraft and handicraft director. Been there, done that. Wouldn't want the program director or camp director spots- always time when the crap hits the fan. Way to stressful, and the stress comes from problems you didn't make.

Haha. Which camp were you at? I've got 7 years of summer camp staff, counselor in training all the way up to asst. business manager.

Should be interesting on the management side, and the free housing on Catalina is a nice bonus.

I need a handicraft director though, you interested?

markw said:
just another reason socalxj sucks balls as a web group, most of the guys singularly are good folks but one whiney bitch and all the web natzi's have to chime in, then they all calm down and become normal folks who understand it was un-intentional everyone hugs and makes up and goes wheeling

both groups are great groups! ppl in one group may do a helluva lot more for their friends while people in the other group are to the point but get stuff done. I love em both.

This thread isnt about group bashing...it's about Calico people...get back on Topic

if there is still room im in for 2 for friday and sat as well.

Gerr said:
just another reason socalxj sucks balls as a web group, most of the guys singularly are good folks but one whiney bitch and all the web natzi's have to chime in, then they all calm down and become normal folks who understand it was un-intentional everyone hugs and makes up and goes wheeling
I resemble that remark since I'm the whiney bitch that spouted off in the first place. But I'm over it and as pointed out, I picked a different date and I'll stick with that till some other "sizable" run gets organized the "week" before... Cuz I'm actually going to try and get the wife to go to Calico as well. start her off with truckhaven then move up to Calico. the after that... maybe JV?
sterb032.gif

Rawbrown said:
I resemble that remark since I'm the whiney bitch that spouted off in the first place. But I'm over it and as pointed out, I picked a different date and I'll stick with that till some other "sizable" run gets organized the "week" before... Cuz I'm actually going to try and get the wife to go to Calico as well. start her off with truckhaven then move up to Calico. the after that... maybe JV?
sterb032.gif

Calico is a good place to bring the wife and kids. Plan a couple hours at the actual ghost town and your golden.

Back