• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstopage

Are those metal.? I like the look of em for sure!

Did you glue some plate to the top of the poly or what?

Is what metal? Those bumpstops? It's a poly stop with with a 3/8 bolt coming out of the back. The plate on top has a short piece of 1.5" tube welded to the bottom, that slides into the hole in the top of the prothane. It would probably make more sense if I had better pictures haha

LOL ya pictures would probably help...

The Red on the bump stomp is poly? And the insert has a tube welded to spring perch to keep the prothane in place as well as tube and plate in the top, with space in the middle so when the meet it provides a “hard stop”?

Where did you find those red bump stop things for the top?

Not the greatest pic but you can kinda see the 1.5" tube welded to the perch here
69d95cd78114ad2e0eada22b4e8584ad.jpg

Ok it’s coming together now...

How big of a gap between the tubes inside the prothane?

I'm not sure I'd have to measure, maybe 5 or 6 inches. The prothanes are pretty stiff, so normal crawling I don't think they compress that much.

It’ll likely be different for me anyhow, just tryn to get the picture of how yours works exactly- thanks!

Ok... How’d you drill and tap the 1” bolt? I think that’d be the hardest part with the current tools I have- er don’t have. No drill press or work table with a vice for that matter. I’m thinking instead of the 1” bolt maybe I’ll do tube capped drill the cap and weld a nut to it to accept the upper bump stop. The lack of the same amount of adjustability will just require I get the measurements for length of tube true the first go around.

How much space before your ends make contact? Probably a 3” or so gap? I’ve read less... and then read more on the same thread :/

I put the bolt in a vice, drilled it with a cordless drill and tapped it by hand. It was surprisingly easy. As far as the gap, I think it's 2" or 3" I think I'm going to try adding more though. Im curious how much these prothanes actually compress during use, I'd like to stick a GoPro down there and see how they do crawling vs go fast or the occasional jump

Be cool if a YouTube channel like mightyMods or something would show all the science behind it too! Get a visual as well as scientific analysis with things like pressure plates. To not just see them work but get the reading from with and without at full flex to see the transfer of energy and how it pertains to useable traction.

Wishful thinking, but it’d be cool!

Side note-
You said you are doing new shocks this weekend? Are you selling the others??

Still down for more pics as I put this together too... I’m debating on extending the upper post and having a bolt on metal plate that is wide enough to not tear up the lower prothane, instead of having a “cap” on the prothane. Then making the tube in the center of it on the perch long enough to provide a hard stop before getting into my fenders.

The compression rate being kind of hard to calculate is a tough variable. Makes the need for adjustability pretty important- but also more time consuming then I had anticipated.

Here's a few more pics, forgot to mention that I had welded a small round plate to the head of the bolt. As for the old shocks, I'm keeping them for now. Might build another jeep at some point

7de9bf1aeb268290d21a02d479c3fb78.jpg
df55f1fb88b21a84a4b7873a3273d4b8.jpg
ddcf421828fbd121e7789432c26e6195.jpg
644034e2f7a0de549e314a978e123705.jpg
287983befb178c2ec9dff94bc4ec81a7.jpg
60a787c7c60b20ef7ebc4ecc02674e78.jpg

Nice breakdown man, appreciate it!

Should be a good reference for folks in the future too

Had to ask about the shocks, all these members and the for sale section is rather dormant- technically only need 1... probably just pull the trigger on billies.. what’s you go with? 5150s seem to be all the rage ya?

After running 5100 I doubt I ever buy anything in the 5100 category again

I do like the monomax. Nice shock for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cal and Richard used a hard plastic rod inside the Prothanes to function as a hard stop on their 4643 Ultra4 car, FWIW.

Ya... I don’t know that I have access to a stick of derlin lol

With all these thoughts, I'm surprised you haven't taken a closer look at "air bumps", they would give you the best of both worlds.

Price wise they are out of this world

I actually ordeted from the supplied link back on April 24th.

Just got off the phone with THmotorsports, and apparently they are on back order...

Suckey

Price was still 25$ cheaper then anything Ive found. Guess I will have to just wait it out sob

Back