• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boostwerks Build Thread V2.0

For those that don't frequent the street forum...

Some updates!

In the process of swapping tranny's I noticed several of the bearings in my transfer case had some play, but didn't have time to do a rebuild at the time. I purchased a full rebuild kit as well as a 6 pinion planetary set and wide chain. Upon tear down I noticed the oil pickup screen was clogged with little aluminum shards. Although there was no obvious signs of wear, the clogged pickup surely led to the bearing failure. I also picked up a novak shifter to replace the factory joke.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Also in the process of the tranny swap, I noticed the hard way how much of a pain in the ass having a 1 piece cross member and long arm setup is when it comes time to do any drivetrain work. To remedy this I spent a couple hours drawing up a removable center section to modify my current cross member. I haven't finished this yet, but should have more to show soon.

TransCrossmemberAssem.jpg

2013-03-28170412.jpg

In other news, my rear RP is F'kD! I made the mistake of going with used 4.56 gears instead of saving up for a new set. They have always been loud, but recently started making a horrible metallic "clang" noise when rotating the pinion back and forth. I'm also pulling the rear Detroit locker and throwing an ARB in it's place while I'm at it. I'll be broke for a while lol!

Selling the Detroit should help offset ya some.
I dig how that removable xmember looks.

Was just talking about you to my buddy Winston. Guess he bought one of your Purdy manifolds for his Teg.

Selling the Detroit should help offset ya some.
I dig how that removable xmember looks.

Was just talking about you to my buddy Winston. Guess he bought one of your Purdy manifolds for his Teg.

Oh cool. Small world for sure!

I was able to get a little more work done on the cross member this weekend...

Center tacked up...
2013-04-04172637.jpg

2013-04-04172623.jpg

Laid out the old cross member for cutting and drilling.

2013-04-04173111.jpg

2013-04-04173055.jpg

Also worked on some new "tubes" to replace my bent slider extensions. They're made from cold roll 10 gauge with tube inserts.

Assem1.jpg

2013-03-28170423.jpg

2013-03-28170849.jpg

2013-03-28171410.jpg

2013-03-28171638.jpg

More to come soon. :clap:

I was able to make a little more progress this past weekend on the cross member.

Now I just have to wait for it to warm up so I can paint the damn thing.

In other news, the compressor is ready to mount to the firewall.

ARB and new gears ready to go in...

Novak linkage is installed and working great. Found a cheap billet alum Knob for $6 :guitar:

More coming soon! (pending the current blizzard)

yea TIG makes for some pretty welds

You guys have the most beautiful welds. Looks like a machine did them!!

Thank you! Practice helps :D. I started welding about 10 years ago by buying a tig welder and learning the hard way. I have since worked 5 years in structural steel, and 8 years as a professional automotive fabricator. :thumbup:

The recent blizzard is now melting off, so I was able to throw some paint on the cross member and get it back on. Now I just need to get everything back together so I can limp it to the shop for the re-gear and locker install.

Compressor location...

You planning on running air tools off that compressor? That's pretty much the hottest point in the engine bay - if the compressor is working hard keeping it cool may be an issue in that location.

You planning on running air tools off that compressor? That's pretty much the hottest point in the engine bay - if the compressor is working hard keeping it cool may be an issue in that location.

Nope just the locker. I have a 1" hood lift as well so it should get adequate air flow.

Shifter boot installed. I cut up an old VW boot I got free from a coworker. Punched some holes for the factory bolt locations, gooped on some RTV and threw it on. turned out great. :D

You should sell some of those switch panels, looks really nice

So something is still wrong with the TC. I have a feeling the pump is trashed and am now kicking myself for not replacing it when I had the chance. As far as I could tell during the rebuild the pump was fine, but the noise and boiling fluid now tell me otherwise. Another rebuild will more than likely be required. yay!

At least the cross member is now removable. Ugh.

This weekend I fabbed up the remaining slider stiffeners. Progress has been slow as I'm waiting for our funds to recover from a recent friends wedding.

The TC is again torn down, cleaned up and awaiting a new pump. Thankfully everything looked fine besides a couple of the bearings. I swapped them out just to be safe.

I also ditched the e-brake crap calipers for some rebuilt plain jane Monte Carlo's. Total cost of $24. No more leaking.

if I were you i'd try to figure out a way to get that hose to run up and over the axle tube, one slip off a rock onto the axle and bye bye rear brakes.

if I were you i'd try to figure out a way to get that hose to run up and over the axle tube, one slip off a rock onto the axle and bye bye rear brakes.

Definitely. I just need to get some SS lines that I can tuck over the axle. These lines were left over from my previous GM metric crap so I decided to use them for now.

Back