• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt-on accessories jungles on jeep! why??

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
This is nothing toward anybody but in general bunch of Jeepers are ones of those..

I dont understand why I frequently see Jeepers driving around with BUNCH of unneccesary accessories on their jeeps while they're just driving to and from work and never touch them for months?

that could be

-tire on roof rack
-shovel
-jack
-hi-lift jack
-water tanks
-gas tanks
-HUGE roof rack
-spare parts
-air tank
-lights
- stuff?

I perfectly accept the stuff being on their Jeep(or other 4x4ers) when they're on the trails or on way to there, but why daily driving? its wasting major, I mean MAJOR of your gas to pushing the HUGE roof rack and other stuff through the air and the extra weight!

Doing this also make yourself very vulnerable for thefters thats its just a few clips or bolts/nuts to pull off then they're walking away with a $300 worth of spare tire? hi-lift jack? gas tank? thats few!

You guys can do better than that, just take minutes taking these stuff off when you know you wont need them for at least a week. even that will help you on the trail because then it shouldnt take you 30 minutes wrestling on trying to get it off because you didnt touch it for last 5 months? because you should know how to get them off because you put them on the jeep VERY recently!

/rant/:gonnablow

when i comes to all that stuff on others rigs i just think 'whatever floats your boat', its their rig, they should do as they please as long as it doesnt jeopardize other drivers safety. i am one of those people who has a roofrack with the spare on top. why? because that way a fullsize spare doesnt consume your cargo space and the rear bumper tire carriers are way too expense (up until detours came out with theirs). plus the rack is handy for camping and transporting junk to and from school.

hi-lift jack? the stock bottle wont do anything for a lifted rig unless you carry along extra crap to space under it.

lights? why take them on and off before everytime youd like to use them? that doesnt make any sense. it gets dark everyday..odds are youll use them at some point. (and no im not supporting blaring down the road blinding oncoming traffic, nor have i ever done that with my auxiliary lights)

95heep, i completely agree with you that the more accessories the bigger potential for them to be stolen. thats why mine are kept indoors until a wheeling trip. not everyone uses their noggin and some people just like all the shiny toys when cruising to the mall.

-endrant-

when i comes to all that stuff on others rigs i just think 'whatever floats your boat', its their rig, they should do as they please as long as it doesnt jeopardize other drivers safety.

-Very true, its their rigs but they could've done better for themselves

i am one of those people who has a roofrack with the spare on top. why? because that way a fullsize spare doesnt consume your cargo space and the rear bumper tire carriers are way too expense (up until detours came out with theirs). plus the rack is handy for camping and transporting junk to and from school.

-I would prefer to just put the tire inside the jeep and remove the rack. I dont know what you need to brings regularly so thats nothing I can do about that

hi-lift jack? the stock bottle wont do anything for a lifted rig unless you carry along extra crap to space under it.

-bottle jack will work if you use it on bottom of the axle, not on the frame, use some 4x4 wood blocks as booster, or bring different bottle jack??

lights? why take them on and off before everytime youd like to use them? that doesnt make any sense. it gets dark everyday..odds are youll use them at some point. (and no im not supporting blaring down the road blinding oncoming traffic, nor have i ever done that with my auxiliary lights)

-True, but I meant those lights thats mounted to the roof where they can creates lot of drag. many have reported they lost as much as 4 MPG by putting them on the roof, IMO thats not worth it for the MPG loss

95heep, i completely agree with you that the more accessories the bigger potential for them to be stolen. thats why mine are kept indoors until a wheeling trip. not everyone uses their noggin and some people just like all the shiny toys when cruising to the mall.

-Yeah, I dont want anyone become theft victim, again, their rigs, their own choices on what they want to do with them. even with sign on the window saying "take my bolt-on stuff with you please!" :shhh:

-endrant-

I bought an Auto Zone Big Red bottle jack, it'll lift a tire off the ground on my Jeep so long as I place it under the axle. If I'm changing a flat, that's all I need, no need to lift the entire Jeep or worry about finding a stable place if I'm on the side f the road.

What the hell are you? A commie? Why would it bother you if I painted my Jeep pink and put a million shovels on top.

It would be one thing if someone asked your opinion but you're just wasting bandwidth at this point. Bandwidth that you didn't help pay for if I might add...
Like most topics here in Non-Tech. Why do you care if he has an opinion? ;)

Like most topics here in Non-Tech. Why do you care if he has an opinion? ;)

The number one complaint I hear from members around here are all the re post and useless post. How many times have we seen threads about the stupid crap Jeep owners put on their rigs. We get it there are tons of Jeep owners that lack any taste or common sense.

Oh really, number one? I suppose you have statistical data to back you up, right?

:D

I dont understand why I frequently see Jeepers driving around with BUNCH of unneccesary accessories on their jeeps ?

/rant/:gonnablow

A few reasons why:
1) I'd wager that the biggest reason is because it takes more than "a few minutes" to take them off and store them.
2) I didn't buy the Jeep for gas mileage. The drop from 14MPG to 13MPG is killing me.
3) Where am I going to store them - in my apartment? Outside in my carport?

I'm sure there are plenty others.

What the hell are you? A commie? Why would it bother you if I painted my Jeep pink and put a million shovels on top. .

Dude! That's my jeep!

Seriously, nobody around where I live will mess with your stuff. I live in one of the larger counties (sq. miles) and we don't even have a single traffic light. Thank God I don't live in the city. Oh, and what Weirdo said.

Last edited:
so you want someone to take their lights and roof rack every monday morning before work. and stuff their spare tire in the cargo area taking up almost if not all of the cargo room taking up space that could be used for some tools and other equipment (my tools and such have come in quite handy for me and others more times than i care to admit). kinda like when i came across a buddy's pregnant wife in a parking lot with a flat tire and a jack but no lug wrench in the trunk. and to take the full size spare off of the roof- have you tried to take a spare (be it a 31 or 35) off and back on a rack frequently? it sucks putting my 35" spare on a rear bumper tire carrier. oh, and lets un-wire and re-wire our lights repeatedly. you know, cause we have NEVER had a use for them anywhere else than a trail run.

should i take my skids, bumper, tire carrier and rocker replacements off my rig to save weight and thus fuel efficiency on my rig? maybe i should gut my interior and go on a severe diet too. and i have OBA so should i take the compressor and tank out? a shovel and some water are parts of my kit that stays in the heep. does that need to go to? it will take me the better part of a day to get ready for a run and then another to take it off for my commute.

oh and nominated 95

I leave my stuff on, JUST because I don't give a damn about what you think or how you think I should manage my Jeep. I use what I have, doesn't mean I use it everyday, but it gets used and the shovel, spare, and lights are ON there for a reason.

Seriously?

You own an XJ and your worried about MPGs?

My guess you tried to wave or talk to someone with all that stuff on their Jeep and you got blown off. Don't worry little fella, it will be ok.

Someone please get this guy some water.

Oooh fun I want to play red text in a quote box.

-tire on roof rack
I had a 35 on my roof.
lets see why not take it down...
A: 35's are heavy I have a broken back and even if I didn't I would still leave it up there because there's no point to moving it until I have a flat.
B: 35's are big why would I waste my storage space. Nevermind you're right I should just not carry a spare.

-shovel
-hi-lift jack
-water tanks
-gas tanks
-air tank
I'll group these all together with one reason. Some people like to be ready to go on the trail at anytime. So they can just hop in and go.
-HUGE roof rack
You're right I shoot unbolt it every time.
-jack
Replacing a spare is for people that have spares but since you already gave me the stellar advice of not carrying one I should toss the jack too.
-spare parts
I'd hate to be prepared.
-lights
Lol

Your prep time before wheeling must be insane. Remind me never to go with you since you're obviously going to be late to sp.

I'm assuming the "HUGE roofrack" thing was saying you don't need a big one. Not all trails have a campsite for instance the Rubicon you wheel in to the campsite that's a few hours away. You also have to pack out what you pack in. This includes CRAP when I want to haul human feces on the inside of my rig I'll go see a shrink.

Oh and drink water kid.

Sincerely

-A guy with too much crap on his roof.

l_6382be6f3ce24d30a4dc02841213082d.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is funny as hell!

Yah, whatever. Lights, no lights. Rack, no rack. Shovel, no shovel...

Some folks just like to carry the hardware store to the mall, to the apartment, to work; sort of like a Hermit Crab.

Theives catch on to this, so the Jeep must also sport a NRA and a "Protected by S&W" sticker. Be warned though, inclusion of both those stickers and the MC look will grab the attention of any LEO within a 10 mile radius, and they will pull you over just to get a better look at your fine rig :D

<Joking>

Ron

What the hell are you? A commie? Why would it bother you if I painted my Jeep pink and put a million shovels on top.
I think I saw your Jeep on ebay...?

I would never leave home without a spare, I learned almost learned that one the hard way. Put my spare back in the trunk and two days later I ran over a beer bottle some idiot left on a street corner, put a 1/2" gash right through the tread, I was flat by the time I got across town. If I hadn't had my spare I would have been quite screwed, it wasn't something the silly little plug kit I carry with me would have fixed.

Right now my kit is pretty small... fuses, battery terminal cleaner (don't ask how I learned this one), tire plug kit, grease gun, pair of milsurp wool mitten liners with trigger fingers (great for putting a spare tire on in the winter...), serpentine belt, bottle jack, jumper cables, bungee cords, some duct tape, spare bulbs, etc. I think I have a spare driveshaft kicking around in the trunk as well. Most of this fits under the passenger+rear seats.

Back