• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Red Prerunner

Finishing up the front brakelines today and hopefully get it aligned on Monday. I just measured and the front track width is 90" from outside of tire to outside of tire 😁

Just cheapies for now, getting the 14 bolt and new tcase under the truck are next up on the to-do list. Once the axles are both under the truck I'll decide if I'm gonna step up to coilovers or just make mounts and run king shocks.

Coilovers are nice, but I have been amazed what the fullsize dodge guys have been able to accomplish with a traditional coil and shock set up. Although, Coilovers now could set the groundwork for front bypasses later....:party:

Theres about to finally be some more progress getting done on the truck, Jon cuervo welded up the tubes on my 14 bolt and got the 13 bolt shave done using a crane cover. We have also been trying to figure out the best way to get a tone ring in/on the rear end. I think we came up with a really good solution...with a little turning done on the lathe and a keyway milled into the carrier i now have a tone ring ready to run inside the 14bolt.

22317766095_4c90a12e4f_c.jpg

22291734756_4d3f03969f_c.jpg

And along with new front and rear leaf spring frame hangers from ford and new lower rear shock mounts, this stuff showed up...

22317788875_dbcece546a_c.jpg

22130062088_c013385f52_c.jpg

Longer shackles from camburg and a pair of j40 packs from deaver to get a little bit of wheel travel out of the rear!

Mmmmm camburg.
Keep hearing killer stuff about that guy and the work he's tossing out of the flop shop

My truck didnt make it into the shop this last weekend so i made a trip to the upull and pay. I found a floor mounted tcase shifter with a good boot and knob and i also found a good hood!

One of my hinges/springs locked up earlier this summer and i folded the hood up on that side. Im hoping to do a complete paintjob on the truck sometime in the next couple years, but Im undecided on the color, so i didnt wanna take the time to paint the hood. I ended up getting a roll of 3d carbon fiber vinyl from 3M and wrapping the hood with it this morning.

22343781438_f5581a24cd_b.jpg

22517988432_c6d198e58d_b.jpg

It turned out pretty well except for a couple wrinkles right in the middle of the front of the hood. This was the first time ive ever tried wrapping anything. I wanted to get it done before work so i did it alone before anyone else showed up. If i wrap anything again ill make sure to have a second set of hands around and i think i could do it perfect. Looks good enough for the old truck though imo

Got to work on the truck for a couple hours this morning! The rear end, leaf spings, hangers, sway bar, driveshaft, and shocks are all out of the truck. I also went and picked up my transfer case from a buddy of mine that rebuilt it with a new oil pump and chain for me!

22645409295_9e99e89f0e_c.jpg

....and then i did something i shouldnt have....now that ive seen this it cant be unseen or forgotten.......

22620552836_f720bb33b6_c.jpg

22633019162_c98717ea9b_c.jpg

That 40" nitto sure does look badass on my truck...

Yep. I really like this truck.

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it! I drove the it home today!! I guess its a 7/8 ton truck now lol....Ill post up some pics tomorrow

For those of you who havent followed any of this build so far, the truck has 4.5" over long travel beams in the front, chromoly axle shafts, a detroit truetrac and 4.88s, and now the rear has a shaved disc brake 14 bolt with a yukon grizzly, 4.88s, and a tone ring on the carrier for the speedo/tcu.

22659257989_5eccdd01f6_b.jpg

22633402987_57103b1c68_b.jpg

I ran into some weird brake problems with the truck last week. Not sure if the proportioning valve was screwed up or the rear abs block was freaking out because of the disc brakes in the back, but i was having a problem with the rear brakes dragging. And it got bad...

22430336113_8a5664432f_b.jpg

I ended up dropping the truck back off with jon and had the booster/master cylinder swapped out for a new f350 unit, he gutted the proportioning valve, deleted the rear abs unit, had the rotors turned, and installed new rear calipers and pads. I picked up the truck tonight and drove it home with awesome brakes.

I also put a timing light on the truck and advanced the ignition timing a few degrees since I had installed a MSD 6al box, MSD distributor, Ford Racing wires, and new spark plugs a few months ago. It really woke the truck up a lot!

Between the ignition parts/timing, headers and full 3" exhaust w high flow cats, and now the 4.88 gears the truck gets up and goes pretty good!

I finally found a little free time to get a piece of .188 wall bent up and made a little progress on my front bumper. I still need to cut the ends and cap them, add some more tube, and build an alumnum skid...

23221001095_f0d2e30b16_c.jpg

22593899023_595079c146_c.jpg

I got my lightbar mounted, i has a three position switch so you can change the leds from white to amber! I had to celebrate with a little hoonage...

https://youtu.be/Ibwj9QMnPtM
(i couldnt get the video to imbed and work right!?)

Disclaimer: Stunt driver on closed course: DO NOT ATTEMPT ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Looks real nice.

23841978430_1e48dc6587_c.jpg

I havent gotten much done letely, but I found a little time to work on the truck today. The original Tcase had a slip yoke and an electric solenoid to shift into 4wd, i opted to swap to a manual shift tcase with a fixed yoke when i put in the 14 bolt. I finally got around to installing the shifter bracket, shifter, and linkage today. First off i cut the hole in the floor, then moved onto the linkage...which didnt fit.

The tcase came out of a diesel truck so im guessing thats why the linkage i got ended up being 2" too short. I had to cut the linkage and add a piece of strap steel to lengthen it....but the length of the shift arm on the tcase must have also been a different length then the truck i snagged the shifter/linkage off of.

Becasue of the arm/throw on the tcase most of the dentents/shift gate positions on the shifter bracket ended up being slightly off so i filed them off. Got everything back together and it all works perfectly and as a bonus(?) i dont have to push the mechanism on the shifter down to shift into 4-low.

Back