• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to do a 4.5 inch lift

540ismiley

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 XJ. The time has come for me to go higher. I like the OME shocks. What other changes will I have to maketo make this possible other than springs and leafs
thanks
josh

Are you going with a kit? Make your own lift?

I can't really help you on the make your own lift, but if going with a kit that I can help you with.

I like the RE Kits in general, OME shocks and a guy by the name of Dirk at dpgoffroad.com.

You will likley need an SYE to eliminate vibes, I also suggest an adjustable track bar.

Ahhh and you should plan to add about 1/2 the cost of the lift in after the lift is on to replace parts, alignment, and beer for the buddies that help you put the lift on.

I hope this helps.

Just buy the RE 4.5, wish i did....I ended up getting all the components that come in the RE 4.5 but from diff. companies and spent more....

Jason

In addition to lower control arms, you'll need coil and leaf springs, trackbar, swaybar disconnects with longer center sections to accomodate that lift; brakelines, new bumpstops for the front, possibly new shackles depending on the rear springs...an SYE and driveshaft. You may also want to do Drop Brackets, since the ride is a thousand times better and the arms start their movement from a neutral position and are able to droop far better. It might do you well to make one set of those arms adjustable for fine-tuning as well. I'd recommend the RE6130 kit with a few modifications: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html

hi i have a 2000 jeep cherokee and i want to put a 4.5 lift
whats the best to use and is it hard to do.and do you have to change the drive shaft and what else needs to be replaced hope someone can help?

Last edited:
bigdaddyevil said:
hi i have a 2000 jeep cherokee and i want to put a 4.5 lift
whats the best to use and is it hard to and do you change `the drive shaft and what else needs to be replaced hope someone can help?
the best to use? everyone will chime in with their own expierence here
IMO (in my opinion) i would go with whatever you can get at a reasonable price that you will acutaly use.

for lift instalations, there have been many write ups - many good, some not so good, but helpful in some ways.

On a good 4.5" lift kit, the things to look for are:

Lower Control Arms (Ajustable is better, Long Arms are optional, Drop brakets are nice)

Upper control arms - ajustable so u can use them when u go bigger

Coil Springs

FULL 4.5" LEAF PACKS! AAL and Shackles and Blocks and combinations there of arent the best

Slip Yoke Eliminator and new Driveshaft if you want to do it right, some can get away with a t-case drop, but most with teh 2000 XJ have problems with driveline vibes and the BEST way to cure them is to get a slip yoke elmator

shocks - stock ones will not work

Front Sway Bar links or Disco's - with links in the centers that are long enough for the lift that you end up with

Brake Lines - YJ lines work (i put them on the other day) bolt on mod. SS lines are liked by some - hated by others (need new front and rear)

Track Bar - adjustable. HD is the best way to go, but TRE's are ok - i run on. DO Not get a relocaiton braket or drill a new hole or get a new mount...

invest in a great breaker bar to get the rear spring bolts off. There are a ton of options out there for all of these parts - search around, keep price in mind, and do it right the first time... you'll learn fast enough

keep asking questions, people here are cool enough to answer them. Search around and see what other people are doing, its fun and free!

-XJ_Ranger

for pictures of cherokee's? you have found the site - right here. check out the jeep picture showcase forum, i have a post there i tihnk... and there are a ton of cool shots there...

Back