• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joints both sides or one? what brand?

I used mevotech parts on the wifes DD.

they were beefier than OEM toyota. and had grease zerks.

Passenger side disk brake shield is mangled and missing about 1/3. Do I need a replacement or is it safe enough for at least a partial one?

Drivers side is done. Replaced the ball joints, steering knuckle, hub bearing, rotor and u-joint. Still need to replace a torn boot on the TRE.

Passenger ball joint was so bad I had to slip a pipe over the steering knuckle end where the TRE went to turn it.:shocked: Thanks to Kastein for the steering knuckles.

Advance Auto's press works great and had all the right 4wd adapters.

If you take the dust shield off, watch the clearance on the knuckle for the rotor. I have had them rub on some d30's when I took off the dust shield.

Np glad to see them used! I never put dust shields back on.

I put the partial back on just for spacer clearance
Thanks guys.

U-joint on the passenger side was a powdered mess with one cap cracked. Axle shaft still looks good. :yelclap:

Need to go 1hour 10min round trip to get the rubber grease cap for the drivers side tie rod end, new bolts for the passenger hub bearing that were stripped, and new rubber grommets for the disk caliper slide bolts. Living in the middle of nowhere does have it's disadvantages.

Get the Energy Suspension tie rod end boots. I kept tearing the OEM rubber ones, but these polyurethane ones hold up better. Cheap and they carry them at AZ. Part #9.13101

Ball joints are finally complete. Had to put a new boot on the tre, grease everything, put new disk brake bolts in and new hub bearing bolts (all grade 10.9) realign the disk brake cover, put the other tires on, install my new air shocks, and make a mounting bracket for the fill nozzle.

Still need to install new rear air shocks along with a new lower shock stud and probably all upper bolts will be snapping off, steering stabilizer, fix mounts on the exhaust and then I can put my power heated mirrors on, 12ga upgraded headlight harness, Silver star headlights, thermostat, oil change, fluid change on all the gear boxes, and finally the plow. :wow:

Stud mount shocks suck when one of them has rusted to where you cannot see the threads.

Use an angle grinder or Dremel and cut the stem off the damn thing. I do that every time now, it's way faster than unscrewing the shock and it's going on the scrap pile anyways!

How do you get the stem out of the bracket? BFH? I was thinking of cutting it off and using my air chisel with the punch and punching it out if that's possible.

Back