• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 help!! no reverse, no neutral,feels like its loading in park???

good chance it might.... I was having TC louck up problems, no Back Up light lights and would only start in park.... maybe. Took the NSS checked my NSS and it had 65 ohms on park and 200K pluse on other pins... Long story short... I cleaned it and now I have back up lights, starts in P and N and I don't have the TC lock up problem any more. Good luck. And if the old one is cracked you can seal it with a little JB weld or RTV and use it as a spare.

well i switched out the nss. no difference.
#1 solenoid gets 10 volts continuously.
#2 solenoid gets 6 volts continuously.
then i unplugged the nss.
solenoids still get power.
i have reverse lights now though.
i measured voltage at the tcm/tcu whatever its called.
it showed the same voltage going to the solenoids.
question is, why is the tcm telling the solenoids to fire???
what excactly tells it which gear to fire what solenoid?

i noticed the shift display is a little off. park shows park, but the movement is all off when shifting. it does not pull all the way to 1-2.
it seems like the lever/linkage is off going to the display.
i get the clicks going thrue all the gears one by one,but by the time it clicks into 1-2,its only in drive.
and i have the column shifter btw.
could this have anything to do with my problem???
:flamemad:

well i switched out the nss. no difference.
#1 solenoid gets 10 volts continuously.
#2 solenoid gets 6 volts continuously.
then i unplugged the nss.
solenoids still get power.
i have reverse lights now though.
i measured voltage at the tcm/tcu whatever its called.
it showed the same voltage going to the solenoids.
question is, why is the tcm telling the solenoids to fire???
what excactly tells it which gear to fire what solenoid?

i noticed the shift display is a little off. park shows park, but the movement is all off when shifting. it does not pull all the way to 1-2.
it seems like the lever/linkage is off going to the display.
i get the clicks going thrue all the gears one by one,but by the time it clicks into 1-2,its only in drive.
and i have the column shifter btw.
could this have anything to do with my problem???
:flamemad:

Yes, I think it could. Try adjusting the linkages and make sure that the gear selector is selecting the right gear.

AW4_OBDI_Connector.jpg
ill check the inputs on this connector now..... that will probably answer my own question...

bigalpha, by linkage you mean on the input arm on the tranny itself?
because i shifted it by hand. no difference. does the lever actually input from the column?

even with the NSS un pluged. the NSS is what tells the tcu what gear the selector is in. I think it's time to set up some switchs and try to shift it manualy.

K I would un plug the NSS and then the TCU and check pins c8 to c9. if you have any continuity thats bad. Those two should be an open. What year was it agian... Im going to get my book and see what ideas I can come up with.

Did you check #3??? I'm thinking You have a wiring problem, you have changed everything you have and somewhere in you harness you have a bad spot. I would disconect the battery and the unplug the TCU. Check pins C14 to D14 and D16 Then pin C15 to D14 and D16 then Pin C15 to D14 and D16. they should all be open. If the check good then I would check Pins C14,15,and16 to all pins in the plug. Note what you have. They should all check the same and if the wires are good then they all should show an open. Other then then to ground...that might show your 13 ohms of the solenoids. If this all looks good and it still is not working I would pick up some switchs and make a quick manual shifter...

ok. checked the pins c14,c15, c16 against d14 and d16.
c14 showed 10 ohms between d14 and d16.
c15 and 16 showed 0.
im going to check it against all pins now

C15 and C16 showed 0 ohms or OL??? You tested between them???? If so then they should have an OL on the meter. if you had 0 ohms there is your problem. C15 and C16 are shorted together.

Did you check C15 to D14 and D15 Then C16 to D14 and D15??? You should have the same 10-13ohms there as with C14. If you did and you have 0 ohms between them and D14 and D15 then you have a problem there...

Last edited:
c15 to c16 o on the meter.
c14 t0 c15 0 on the meter
c16 to c14 0 on the meter
c14 to c3 d7 d14 d16 showed 8 ohms on the meter
all others o
pulled the fuse at tcu- c14 to d16 went to 0. c14 to c3,d7,d14 stayed at 8 ohms
pulled tranny fuse on fusebox. c14 showed 8ohms between c3,d7,d14,and d16
and you mentioned d15. no wire there. i assume you meant d16?

lol. I'm still trying to decipher the data. There's lotsa numbers and such.

Hang tight and let me read through it some. Maybe you should post up a summary post?

#1 solenoid gets 10 volts continuosly
#2 solenoid gets 6 volts cont.
unplugged nss same.
c8(1-2gear input) and c9(drive gear input) inputting about 1.5 volts continuosly
now unplugged tcu(tcm)
and removed battery cable
checked for continuity between these-
C14(solenoid3)C15(solenoid2)C16(solenoid3) to all pins.
C14 showed 8ohms to C3(trans output speed sensor),
8ohms to D7(ground)
8ohms to D14(fused +)
8ohms to D16(fused +)
C15 and C16 showed 0 ohms at these.
pulled fuse at tcu.
same except, showed o ohms at d16 now
pulled tranny fuse at fuse box, same, had 8 ohms between C14 to C3,D7,D14, and D16
no other point had anything on the meter other than 0.

now that i know i have power on pins C8(1-2 drive gear input) and C9(drive gear input)
heres my question-
knowing that the arm on the side of the tranny tells it mechanically what gear to be in,
where does it tell which solenoid to fire? ie; where is the 1-2 gear input(C8) and drive gear input(C9) get the info from ? internally in the tranny? or externally, like the shifter display?(or somewhere between)?

Back