• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 help!! no reverse, no neutral,feels like its loading in park???

sounds like it could be a bad TCM.

Do you have one you could swap and try?

edit: maybe your shifter is off? When you put it in D, it's actually in 1-2 or 3?

I believe he already tested this ( i think he called it a tcu ).
If your solenoids are good and the tranny is o.k. and you have already tested the tranny control unit/module, I'd say that your TPS is bad!
It may even test o.k. but not work properly especially if it's aftermarket.
Try a dealer one, shop around the dealers 'cause some will only charge you about $30.

I've done exactly everything your trying and it was the stupid TPS. Very aggravating as it was a new one from a parts store.

I believe he already tested this ( i think he called it a tcu ).
If your solenoids are good and the tranny is o.k. and you have already tested the tranny control unit/module, I'd say that your TPS is bad!
It may even test o.k. but not work properly especially if it's aftermarket.
Try a dealer one, shop around the dealers 'cause some will only charge you about $30.

I've done exactly everything your trying and it was the stupid TPS. Very aggravating as it was a new one from a parts store.

Ah, he did; forgot about that. I'm fairly certain it's TCM, but they mean the same thing.

There's a wiring problem. The TPS checked out OK at the TCM. Try backprobing the TPS to check it at the TPS. But, if the TCM is reading it right, TPS might not be a cause.

edit: maybe your shifter is off? When you put it in D, it's actually in 1-2 or 3?
i noticed with the linkage of, shifting from the tree, i have full movement from park to 2/3, but it goes no further,
so i checked voltage going to the solenoids by shifting from the tranny park- 1/2, and same results, always power going to the 1+2 solenoids.
ill try the tps tomorrow. i gotta work tonite. so ill let you guys know what happens with the tps. i have a functioning one on my parts xj(same year)
so lets see what results i get.
thanks again for everyones help. you guys are really helping me along!:clap:

MMMM crazy that you have power to all three. Have you checked you NSS switch. I'm asking becasue this is what tells the TCU (TCM) what gear to lever is in. Just a thought. I would also check the wires from the TCU to solienods. I don't know what the pins are but, you should unplug the solienods and the TCU and check the pins agianst each other. This will tell you if you have a short across a set of wires. I'll look and see if I can find the pins for ya.

just got home from work and i gotta go back at 7am, but i think ill tinker for a bit and see what happens
good idea about the pins. ill see if i can find the pin id too.
and i never actually checked the nss, but just tried to start in gears other than park/reverse. it operated fine in that area.
i can just swap it out with the xj aw4.

AW4_OBDI_Connector.jpg

nice!!! thanks alot!
that saves me some time.
hopefully this thread helps out some people in need later on, too.
ive learned alot on the aw4 already in just a few short days!

heres some pics of the magnets
and the exposed part of the tranny minus on solenoid out for testing
IMG%5D

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

going to check stuff now

Yup, that's a handy diagram. It is for the OBDI setup. It's virtually identical to the Renix setup except for a few minor differences. OBDII is very different.

Pin D1 is the +5volts feed to the TPS sensor. Renix had the dual output sensor with its own supply/signal/ground wires, versus the OBDI setup sharing the single output. Pin C5 is shown as grounded on the Renix diagram. Pin C4 is still the diagnostic connection, but on Renix it just goes to the yellow diag connector and on OBDI its connected to the OBD data bus.

Yeah, I know I'm being picky but someone searching later might need to know that the +5volts for the square connector on the TPS comes from the TCU.

i checked the tps and it was fine, but threw in another and retested- it was fine.
nss- not so much- it was showing continuity between all the wrong spots at the wrong time-
sooooo, im in the process of taking it out, but its being a pain.
i know they are difficult to pry off, but this ones a real pita.
so ill post up when im done in a little bit and we will see what happens.
thanks lawsoncl. nice handy diagram!!!

Keep working on getting the NSS switch off. Once I got mine to move I but spray lube on the shaft and kept sliding it back and forth untill it poped off. When you get it off and clean it make sure you don't loose the little parts in the NSS. On a side note... do or did you have back up lights??? Also don't try and pry the tabs off the NSS tab... they will snap!!! Good luck and if you got any questions we are here.

nss was cracked and looks like it was making contact on maybe 75% of the strips.
ill have to pull the other one off and clean it up before i throw it back in.
and no reverse lights. i checked that right after the tps.probably should have checked that first.
oops. live and learn.
but i hope this will solve my problem.
i think we checked everything so far and this seems to be the last

Back