• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 help!! no reverse, no neutral,feels like its loading in park???

any readings yet?
I put my tranny cover back in, filled it with fluid, left the tcu unplugged This should be pluged in, if not no pwr to tranny...
,plugged everything else in here you should have left the NSS unpluged, and installed a jumber to get it to start. Then once started remove jumber and try to drive.
started it up, and same results.
Ill have to compare readings to rule out if the tranny is blown. So if you get to it, moto....
Thanks bro!!

I will have them today... It's my weekend now so I have time... :party:

Ok so I got them... here is what I have....
C8 / C9 / C10 / C14 / C15 / C16 checked to D7 Gound...
Key off .69 / .69 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 All readings in Volts DC
Key on .82 / .82 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 10.32 All readings in Volts DC
1-2 D Brake S3 S2 S1

Ok so from what I can tell is that C8 and C9 are and will show small volts because of the type of NSS we use. No big deal. When I go to 1-2 or D then I get 10.32 VDC to them as I should. Now I show no volts brake input C10 untill i depress the break, then I get 10.32 VDC. I also show no volts on S3, S2, and S1 with the Key off. But with the key on I get 0 VDC on S3 and S2 and 10.32 VDC for S1. This is all good and what you would want to see. Now as far as your stray volts... You could doing it based on how you are holding/ useing your test leads... I was able it get almost .5 V to read on my meter by moving the leads around wile touching the tip with my skin. This would be the gost voltage I was talking about.

The next step for you... well let me re-read the post and see what was already done... but I'm thinking I would split S1 and S2 wires and install two switchs to supply power to your solinodes and take her for a spin. I can give you a simple plug in wire set up if you would like.... DH

Just an update from me.

I changed all 3 solenoids. It now shifts normally in 'D'. However, I took it for a test drive, and it started coming out of gear.

Example, it was driving normally. I was doing about 45mph then coasted down to 35mph. When I hit the gas, it just revved up and it wasn't in gear, it didnt accelerate. However, when it revved up real high, it jumped into gear; when it revved back down, it jumped out of gear.

So I slowed down and came to a stop. When I started driving again, it returned to shifting normally in 'D'. Strangest thing.

update- if you dont know already.
clutch packs are frozen.
i started pulling the tranny today, with a known working one on hand.
after its out, i plan on disecting it and maybe trying to fix it once its on the workbench.
i should have it finished within a week, weather permitting.
ill let you know what happens.

basically testing everything on the jeep that had to do with shifting.then rechecked.
Then had my friend whos an engineer check out grounds, continuity, and then after
all that we decided it couldnt be anything else.
the solenoids were firing correctly, and all else was in order(nss,speed sensor,tps)and all grounds were good, and all the wiring in the harnesses were good.
But still no reverse, and was still fighting itself in park-neutral.
hows your holding up?

Original aw4 had the clutch(es) were frozen up inside.

Here is my theory on what happened-

Po drove it alot to and from Boston to the Cape,weekly iirc,and never checked the fluid level. He actually drove it for a WHILE with no reverse,and probably almost no fluid. He must have overheated the the tranny, as the electric fan didn't work either.

scully
user_offline.gif

NAXJA Member

still my favorite avatar^^^ makes me giggle every time I see it:roll:

NP! Glad it is useful still! Funny, I was just talking about this issue w/ someone this week!

Lol @ Shorty, it makes me chuckle too!

thanks buddy. i need to finish some other things up on the rig (IE get my axles back in) then i'll spend some time on the trans. i'm about 99% the clutches are fried. i had a feeling that was the case prior to reading this as its been slowly showing symptoms of that or a locking up torque converter the last couple times i drove it. anywho, i'll know more in the next week or two :)

Back