• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

at05gt Introduction

So my starter was toast and apparently so was my battery. Not even 2 year old battery from Napa, they warrantied it out. Got a new battery for 35 bucks and a new starter for 65 with lifetime warranty. Walked out with both parts for only 107. Find new o rings for the adapter at Napa for 3 bucks total as well. Buttoning everything back up right now, and changing my oil.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Not even 2 year old battery from Napa, they warrantied it out.
I have seen those batteries go at 2-6months. Two years is pretty good for a Napa battery, the cells go bad. For 35 bucks (I am assuming warranty pro-rate) you cant beat it.

Wen't out to Prairie City for a couple of hours after work yesterday, had a lot of fun. There was a couple of guys with some built wranglers out there making me look pathetic trying to get over the small/easy obstacles while they where doing pipe line and big bend. They where pretty cool guys though, walked me through a couple things and spotted for me a bit. Gonna try and go out again next week after I get off my on call week for my job.

I need to get some sway bar disconnects of some type.

My TCase does not like shifting out of 4wd though, it sticks in 4wd part time and I have to jack the front up and let the tires free spin to disengage it, it's a 242.

Lies and Slander, I couldn't even make it up the second section of the steps. Kept getting hung up with one tire on and one off on the rear axle.

I think a lot of it is just inexperience though lol.

Yea I had a good spotter lol walked right up it high centered at the top. Definitely easier on 33s and 1 locker up front

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Try reversing after you shift to 2wd. Most of the time that will unload the driveline tension and let everything shift. And deffinately only shift the tcase while stopped, in neutral, and foot off the brake.

2wd, 4hi part time, and 4hi full time, are all shift on the fly. The only one that requires stopped and neutral is 4lo.
At least that's what the owners manual says.

I have always had an easier time shifting any transfer case while moving. 5-10 mph if possible, 4lo to N to 4hi. Not under power, just rolling. I like to pause for a second in N. Especially with the 242, in full time, the front should unlock from the rear. Then full time to part time to 2hi at any speed under 55 and going pretty straight.

I'll try and make it out to PC at some point after life calms down, after I get married and finish moving the wife in. My neighbor still hasn't made it out there and I told him that I would show him the way around.

I think replacing the o-rings in my oil filter adapter has uncovered a new leak. Came out this morning to a puddle of oil under the jeep, but the engine oil level is fine. I'm wondering if its my power steering hoses, but the puddle was under the center of the engine bay and the steering feels fine.

Edit: Looks like its the power steering, I filled the res before I went wheeling Monday, its down below Add again. How do I test for leaks in the power steering system? Hoses are pretty cheap, like 20 bucks for the pressure line and 10 for the return, I wonder if I should just replace the hose first and see if that helps. If that doesn't fix it, it's either the pump or the steering box leaking.

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas? My driver side unirail is coated in an oil like substance, so it seems to be coming from the hoses or steering box.

Last edited:
The high pressure hose is a common place for the power steering to leak. Have someone turn the wheel for you with the engine running an look for some spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a leak in the hose and it would make a cloud of atf when the tires were bound up. When I replaced the high pressure hose I replaced the low pressure hose and added a cooler. I also added an inline filter because remanufactured steering boxes are full of dirty fluid.

I had a leak in the hose and it would make a cloud of atf when the tires were bound up. When I replaced the high pressure hose I replaced the low pressure hose and added a cooler. I also added an inline filter because remanufactured steering boxes are full of dirty fluid.

Ya mines doing the exact same thing if I make a hard turn, nice cloud of smoke from the hood. Had a buddy at work turn the wheel while I watched and the pressure hose sprays like a shower head. Gonna replace the hoses tonight and refill the system. Cooler go on the pressure side or return side?

Checked my brand new starter as well and it's coated in oil already so the o rings didn't fix the leak or I have multiple oil leaks. Whats odd is the oil level isn't going down. I'm gonna throw some oil dye in it and see if I can trace the leak after a couple days.

Last edited:
Low pressure side. Check your valve cover for leaks. I had a leak in the back near the firewall that had oil all over the back of the motor.

Back