• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ass-Hat police officers

$45 bucks if the judge didn't reduce it for a seat belt ticket? That is fawkin cheap. In WA, its $101. Why are you bitching over a $15 dollar ticket? I see that the officers may have not been very understanding givin the circumstances, but such a cheap ticket, why rant? :conceited

Funny how this guy argues how the trail isn't a public road but I bet if he rolled over and tried to use insurance he'd be yelling PUBLIC ROAD at the top of his lungs :D

Also...

Does anybody else find it odd that this happened on Saturday and he already got a court date, judgement, and fine reduction?

Seems awfly quick to me...

Let me make sure I've got this straight. You broke the law and got a ticket for it, but YOU'RE the "victim." Yeah, right.

Sorry, buddy, but you're just digging your hole deeper and deeper. The cops weren't the ass-hats and you weren't the victim.

OMG, another newbie with a bone to pick with "The Man" :D

Seriously though, a "highway" can mean almost any darn cow path that is designated as a "road". Learn to equate the word "highway" and "road" and stop trying to reason yourself out of this.

The Officer did you a favor. You will be atleast twice as likely to click on that belt before moving the truck, and someday, that will save your bacon :D

Hey, where is YELLAHEEP when you need him? How about it Troy? Somebody's calling your buddies in blue "Azzhats". Surely you have some input here? :) :) :)

Last edited:
Yellaheep you mean Ron ;)

Incidently I have a perfect cure for forgetting the seat belt.

Get a newer vehcile.

The fawking buckle yoru seatbelt chime is so annoying I tend to put my belt on before starting so I don't hear it... The habbit from doing that in the Mini and Neon carries over to the Jeeps (both of which have no chime - ripped 'em out!)

GSequoia said:

Isn't that what I said? ;)
(Yah, I went back and edited it)

I have to drive a Chevy Colorado for work, it reminds me about almost every ID10T error I ever make.
Seatbelt? Chime and a light for that one.
Left your blinker on? Yup, a chime for that too.
Left your lights on using the manual setting (yah it has Automatic headlights) ? Yup, chime.
Key's in the ignition? Chime.
Farted? Well, no chime, but it usually smells bad enough without some chime telling you to roll down the window ;)

12GaugeXJ said:
$45 bucks if the judge didn't reduce it for a seat belt ticket? That is fawkin cheap. In WA, its $101. Why are you bitching over a $15 dollar ticket? I see that the officers may have not been very understanding givin the circumstances, but such a cheap ticket, why rant? :conceited

Yea i don't know why I get fired up... i guess it was just the principle for me, and the fact that it put a big damper on the rest of the night. I was glad to only pay $15 in the end. I guess my first taste of the judical system was just a bad one.

Zuki-Ron said:
OMG, another newbie with a bone to pick with "The Man" :D

Seriously though, a "highway" can mean almost any darn cow path that is designated as a "road". Learn to equate the word "highway" and "road" and stop trying to reason yourself out of this.

The Officer did you a favor. You will be atleast twice as likely to click on that belt before moving the truck, and someday, that will save your bacon :D

Hey, where is YELLAHEEP when you need him? How about it Troy? Somebody's calling your buddies in blue "Azzhats". Surely you have some input here? :) :) :)

yea i know, next weekend when we're up there you can bet we'll have our belts on no matter what.

GSequoia said:

Incidently I have a perfect cure for forgetting the seat belt.

Get a newer vehcile.

The fawking buckle yoru seatbelt chime is so annoying I tend to put my belt on before starting so I don't hear it... The habbit from doing that in the Mini and Neon carries over to the Jeeps (both of which have no chime - ripped 'em out!)

what year mini you got? I have an 05 cooper s. no mods except rims.

GSequoia said:
Funny how this guy argues how the trail isn't a public road but I bet if he rolled over and tried to use insurance he'd be yelling PUBLIC ROAD at the top of his lungs :D

Also...

Does anybody else find it odd that this happened on Saturday and he already got a court date, judgement, and fine reduction?

Seems awfly quick to me...

Ticket happened saturday, I'm leaving for powell for 2 weeks thursday morning... so I either fight it yesterday morning or I bend over and pay it. What purpose would it serve me or anyone else here to come on a fabricate a story?

bluebullet6 said:
what year mini you got? I have an 05 cooper s. no mods except rims.

It's a 2005 Cooper S Convertable, stock. It's actually my girlfriend's.

Holly_s+Mini+2.jpg

Half-a-Mini.jpg

bluebullet6 said:
What purpose would it serve me or anyone else here to come on a fabricate a story?

You'd be surprised, people do...a lot...I've been on boards long enough to take just about any story that I wasn't there for very skeptically...

Hey, bluebullet! My hat is off to you for taking so much shit from all of us!
:yelclap:

We really do care for everyone's safety... Some are just more "grumpy" about it.

Me? I'm just a typical grouchy old Fart! :passgas:

Keep your seatbelt on! :) :yelclap:

I'm a little confused here...

Why is everyone so hard on a guy who was traveling 3mph on a dirt road, far from other vehicles, doing nothing that could endanger the safety or violate the rights of others? What purpose does it serve for him to pay a fine? How does society benefit, or what negative outcome is avoided (for society at large) by fining someone for not wearing a seat belt in that instance? Who is the victim of this horrendous crime of unrestrainted driving while traveling at a walking pace?

Even if you argue that "seat belts save lives", how does that apply in this circumstance?

Is "it's the law; disobey at your peril!" your mantra? Fine: Do you stop COMPLETELY at every sign? Never, EVER cross a double yellow line? ALWAYS travel at the posted speed limit? I don't: Who cares? Are we such a nitpicking society that a little leeway is out of the question? Is the law ALWAYS right? (Hint: HELL NO.)

Geez, guys, give the guy a break.

Ass-hat cops? Heck, yes. It's become almost a redundant phrase, these days. What in the world were they doing out there, anyway? Why do they feel the need to babysit everyone? What kind of country do we live in? You're traveling along in the backcountry, walking speed, and some armed government representative trots out and hands you a bill for failing to strap yourself to your barely moving vehicle. In my book, that's NOT a sign of a FREE country.

All right. I'm done. Flame away...

You need more practice at cop detection and subtle setbelt fastening...

if not...

Darwin baby...

Darwin

bluebullet6 said:
I've never claimed to not be in the wrong, sure we didn't have our seatbelts on, but it wasn't something we both thought Hmm, I know, lets stick to the man by endangering ourselves.

Here is the Utah Traffic Law we 'violated'

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04225.htm

You'll note that in the first line it says "The operator of a motor vehicle operated on a highway shall: wear a properly adjusted and fastened safety belt"

Merriam Webster defines highway as: a public way; especially : a main direct road.

We were on public land... a single vehicle width trail that only a modified 4x4 could travel safely without suffering damage. This is far from a main direct road. And why the double standard as far as safety is concerned? There is no helmet law in utah, and there were a number of atv's and motorcycles passed on our way up that were carrying passengers and riding without helmets... their plight would be much worse if an accident occured than mine would have been had i rearended my buddy at 3 mph.
Awww yes, Utah Traffic Law, as long as we are looking at one part of the Utah Traffic Law, why not look at the entire code. Merriam Webster doesnt make the laws or the deffinitions of Traffic Code.

As per Utah Traffic Code...http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04003.htm

Here is the Def. of Highway According to Traffic Law.

[FONT=<!--](20) "Highway" means the entire width between property lines of every way or place of any nature when any part of it is open to the use of the public as a matter of right for vehicular travel.

Sounds like you were on a Highway to me.

As far as you not wearing it because you were getting in and out alot....ummm....everyone on trail rides get in and out alot. Seems everyone I see manages to put it back on.

Too bad.
[/FONT]

bluebullet6 said:
Yea i don't know why I get fired up... i guess it was just the principle for me, and the fact that it put a big damper on the rest of the night. I was glad to only pay $15 in the end. I guess my first taste of the judical system was just a bad one.
There is another reason you got bothered up there. Farmington Flats area is known for stupid kids doing stupid things and getting hurt. The cops are nasty up there all the time.

Next time you go up to that area make sure you clean the boogers out of your nose first. They will check...trust me.

On another note. Seatbelt laws are stupid and should go away. If I want to die in my car it should me my choice. Off road, on road or anywhere.

jml1911a1 said:
I'm a little confused here...

Why is everyone so hard on a guy who was traveling 3mph on a dirt road, far from other vehicles, doing nothing that could endanger the safety or violate the rights of others? What purpose does it serve for him to pay a fine? How does society benefit, or what negative outcome is avoided (for society at large) by fining someone for not wearing a seat belt in that instance? Who is the victim of this horrendous crime of unrestrainted driving while traveling at a walking pace?

Even if you argue that "seat belts save lives", how does that apply in this circumstance?

Is "it's the law; disobey at your peril!" your mantra? Fine: Do you stop COMPLETELY at every sign? Never, EVER cross a double yellow line? ALWAYS travel at the posted speed limit? I don't: Who cares? Are we such a nitpicking society that a little leeway is out of the question? Is the law ALWAYS right? (Hint: HELL NO.)

Geez, guys, give the guy a break.

Ass-hat cops? Heck, yes. It's become almost a redundant phrase, these days. What in the world were they doing out there, anyway? Why do they feel the need to babysit everyone? What kind of country do we live in? You're traveling along in the backcountry, walking speed, and some armed government representative trots out and hands you a bill for failing to strap yourself to your barely moving vehicle. In my book, that's NOT a sign of a FREE country.

All right. I'm done. Flame away...

Actually, no flaming here. My question is, and has always been, why are laws needed to protect me from me? If I decide to endanger myself, that's my look-out - just so long as I don't endanger anyone else in so doing.

Granted, I always wear a seatbelt - but I learned to drive in Indiana, in a truck (which was registered as a truck, and was therefore exempt from the seatbelt law) and I just thought it was a good idea. For some reason, I always have an easier time doing something that seems a good idea on its own merits than when I'm told to for no apparent reason, and the "Click it or ticket" campaign just seems like revenue enhancement to me. Perhaps congresscritters at all levels are paying themselves too much, since they keep finding new ways to raise money for the coffers...

5-90

Back