• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone into boating?

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i just picked up a 77 thundecraft in need of some repairs. this is my first boat and could use some advice. first and foremost i will be rewiring the entire boat through a fuse block. this i can accomplish on my own. the things i most have questions about are the 65 horse mercury 2 stroke. #1 it needs a lower unit and i will be taking it to a shop to have it put together but what are some good maintenance tips for this type of engine?

ill add more questions if someone chimes in with some boat repair/ maintenance knowledge.
or if the knowledge of NAXJA can point me to a good site for boating. this stuff is all greek to me still.

thanks!

we just picked up a boat...dont know a whole lot about the mechanics of your boat

but we have a 25' Crownline 248 CCR (cuddy cabin) with the 7.4L V8 and a the Bravo III prop...has about 330 HP and can hit 60 on a good day

Im not really into boating myself, but I did help my buddy build his caravelle interceptor. we put a balanced and blueprinted chevy 383 in it w/ about 400 hp. It's hit 74 tapped out at 6 grand. talk about a wild ride.

oh yea, its got dual 4" exhaust thats about 3 feet of tubing on each side. thank god for the electronic cutouts that save our asses when the dnr comes by.

we were towing a broken down boat last year back to the dock, and the guy on the other boat said, "man your pulling this big thing with no problem," we told him that "our boats got a little bit done to it," and quickly opened the exhaust up, the look on his face when he heard that was priceless.

easily one of the best sounding motors I've ever heard. but sounds damn near stock with the cutouts closed.

Nothing near as cool as those already posted, but I acquired a 16' Glastron with a 150 horse Mercury outboard from a buddy of mine. It runs and floats, but won't maintain full throttle without cutting out. We're going to go through the fuel system and make sure everything is set, and then we're gonna fish our brains out.

He has a 18' bass boat with a 150 horse outboard as well, it'll run 70 on the Ohio River easily.

I know a little about the mechanics of boats, but mainly on inboards, not so much on the 2 stroke outboards. We have a 19' Baja w/ teh 4.3 V6 Vortec for our ski-runabout boat and a 43' Gibson house boat w/ twin Ford 460's at Lake of the Ozarks...it is the party barge!

Wow, twin 460's, that has to be one hell of a party barge.

One of the guys at the lake we know pretty well has a baja with a 650 horse big block, he's the reason why the caravelle is 2nd fastest on the lake. lol..

it makes for an awefull rough ride at speed with a big block though.

any one see the episode of mythbusters when they made a boat out of frozen paper, and strapped a 150hp merc on it. they were cruising 30mph literally on frozen newspapers for about 30 minutes before it tore apart.

yeesh lol thats some hardcore stuff.

ive been doing a bit of research on my lil 65 horse mercury and figured out its a 67. so now just to find the parts i need.

im just dying to get out and teach my daughter how to fish ( and relearn myself) been awhile.

i just came across a complete 67 65 horse merc i might just pick up and take it in and have it gone through mite be a little easier and less time consuming. i wanna go FISHING!!!!

Wow, twin 460's, that has to be one hell of a party barge.

it is a hell of a good time on most any given weekend we are down there. It is an older boat (early 80's) but Gibson did not change hull design forever, so it looks just like all the rest of them out there. It's always a good time until it comes time to fuel up :D even putting in a couple hundred gallons sucks having to pay gas prices on the water (@ $5/gal at the peak of last season)

I have worked in the boat business for over 7 years(getting ready to go to concrete) I can get Mercury/Mercruiser parts and damn near anything else you need

Illiana it sounds like your carbs need to be rebuilt, get me a serial number and I will check numbers for the rebuild kits(at least tell me a year) I can almost guarantee I will beat most anyone's price on Mercury products(not the cheap aftermarket sierra or other offbrand parts)

If I don't know the answer I have about five mechanics that can tell me the answer within minutes

I have worked in the boat business for over 7 years(getting ready to go to concrete) I can get Mercury/Mercruiser parts and damn near anything else you need

Illiana it sounds like your carbs need to be rebuilt, get me a serial number and I will check numbers for the rebuild kits(at least tell me a year) I can almost guarantee I will beat most anyone's price on Mercury products(not the cheap aftermarket sierra or other offbrand parts)

If I don't know the answer I have about five mechanics that can tell me the answer within minutes

Heck, I'll just bring ya the whole thing :D

I'll get the S/N and PM you.

Hmmm, I need a boatload of parts soooo....

1: Exhaust manifolds for 79 Viking w/302 Chevy
2: rebuild kit for stern drive (upper and lower kits actually)
3: someone to rebuild the sterndrive cheap
4: Prop..... looks like they chewed half the shore up with it
5: solenoids.... need three for it, one for the engine lift, 2 for the stern drive.
I got a carb kit for it, just need to rebuild the thing. It's a Holly 4bbl. My plan is to rebuild the whole thing over next winter. When I say rebuilding it I mean rebuilding, inside and out! It's basically a project boat.

JS

JS4309

Mercruiser Drives or another brand, Let me know and I can try to get you some numbers. I don't want to rebuild them but i have guys that can and are ready whenever you are.

PM Me and I will see what I can do for you!

w howey,

Family owned business. He has worked but it is limited and he wants me to come in while he is slow so he can teach me the Machine(slip-form curb) and send me off to school.

JS4309

Mercruiser Drives or another brand, Let me know and I can try to get you some numbers. I don't want to rebuild them but i have guys that can and are ready whenever you are.

PM Me and I will see what I can do for you!

Thanks, I can't remember the brand on it but I'll look it up and get back to you.

JS

Back