• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Tools

Go with the severe duty. I dont have a Ingersoll air hammer, but looking at the differences online, the severe duty looks like it has similar specs to my snap on

Go with the severe duty. I dont have a Ingersoll air hammer, but looking at the differences online, the severe duty looks like it has similar specs to my snap on

Thanks for the input. The specs I see are all just BPM I wish they had like a power scale of how much force each one can put out or something like impact guns.

I went with the super(severe) duty one. Amazon had that and the standard duty on sale. I almost bought the standard duty one they had for 25 bucks($75 msrp) but it sold out over night. So, I stepped up and got the super duty for $85 ($150 msrp).

I wish it came with the chisel hammer attachment thought that's what I need most.

i think i read through it all and didn't see any mention of using a larger coupler (quick connect). even with a 3/8 hose the coupler is the smallest diameter. if you feel your gun isn't up to strength try using a larger coupler. plus the length of hose will have a big effect on air volume/pressure.

advantage of air drill? often smaller than most drills, can be used under water (for those of us that work on boats that sat in the rain). and others that have been mentioned.

brands of air tools? i have alot of cheap ones that i take apart and clean and keep going strong. but a good quality gun is a good idea since that is the one mostly used and needed to perform at its best. oil them often. allthough i am very bad at not oiling them and abusing them very badly. i leave them in the yard, drag them through the dirt (no concrete at my place), heck i have even used spit instead of oil. yes i abuse them bad. but after i take it apart and clean them up again they allways seem to work well. i still have some air tools i bought when i was 16. i am 45 now. cheap air tools, but still going strong. so if anyone has tested the cheap tools, its me. that said, i would like to get a good quality 1/2" impact so i can start taking care of them better. i figure a new "good" tool will help me change my ways....lol

Has anyone used this U-Joint air hammer bit? It looks interesting the way you apply the force to the yoke rather than the u-joint. It has good reviews on google but curious if anyone here has experience with it.

I went with the super(severe) duty one. Amazon had that and the standard duty on sale. I almost bought the standard duty one they had for 25 bucks($75 msrp) but it sold out over night. So, I stepped up and got the super duty for $85 ($150 msrp).

I wish it came with the chisel hammer attachment thought that's what I need most.

I got my air hammer and fired it up today, this thing is a beast no question. I only have the bits that came with it so I used a flat blade to remove the C clips off some very old and rusty u-joints. It sent the c clips flying off without any effort at all. I wasn't ready the first attempt and put a few nice chips into my garage floor too ha.

I ran it as per instruction before using for a few seconds and it was enough to make my whole hand numb from the vibrations. I can't wait to get an actually hammer bit and go to town on the old rusty u-joints.

I'd like to add a quick change adapter too, the spring isn't difficult to deal with but might as well make it easier.

Thats why I love my snap on air hammer. It transfers almost no vibrations back to you.
I do recommend switching to a quick change adapter. I have seen way to many springs break to trust them

Thats why I love my snap on air hammer. It transfers almost no vibrations back to you.
I do recommend switching to a quick change adapter. I have seen way to many springs break to trust them

Well, to be fair I used it for about 30 seconds non stop and it was like 30 degrees in my garage so my hands were ice ha. When I used it to knock the C clips off there wasn't any issue with vibrations.

Isn't the quick change just a spring inside a coupler, the spring can still break? I read some where that a lot of people breaking springs was because it was over tightened. Someone posted they contacted IR and were told to tighten the spring, then back it off 1 turn. He claimed that solved his constant breaking issue. I do still want to get a quick change though.

Does anyone know where I can buy Legacy Color connex air couplers? I am looking just for the 1/4 male fittings to add to my tools. I bought the kit with the couplers and chucks now I just need additional couplers. Everyone seems to only sell the whole kits and I have no use for them...

Well, to be fair I used it for about 30 seconds non stop and it was like 30 degrees in my garage so my hands were ice ha. When I used it to knock the C clips off there wasn't any issue with vibrations.

Isn't the quick change just a spring inside a coupler, the spring can still break? I read some where that a lot of people breaking springs was because it was over tightened. Someone posted they contacted IR and were told to tighten the spring, then back it off 1 turn. He claimed that solved his constant breaking issue. I do still want to get a quick change though.
Most quick connects are just like a female air line fitting, so spring to break

I know i'm a little late to the conversation but:

Best Air Hammer: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/cp717.html

Favorite Air Hamer Bit: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...9&group_ID=864&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

The air hammer has a .498 shank instead of the .401 shank so a special bit is needed. However, that air hammer can unstuck EVERYTHING! I've seen ball joints that a press can't budge get removed with ease with that air hammer.

The bit is awesome for loosening tapers (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.)

Back