• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Headlights

Posted elsewhere on the forum, but might as well post here too...

The following are 3 choices (My personal preferences), they are all good choices. You do get what you pay for, but you will be happy with either choice.

Choice 1:
Hella Vision Plus H4 Conversion with Bulbs ($54.99 per side all inclusive):
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_02.htm

Choice 2:
IPF H4 Headlight Housings withOUT Bulbs ($39.99 per side)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_600.htm

Choice 3:
Hella E-code (ECE - Non-DOT) H4 Headlight Housings withOUT Bulbs (39.99) - These are what I run:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97052_9000.htm

As choices 2 and 3 are sold without bulbs, you now have a choice of what to use. This varies greatly! So here are your bulb choices:

Delta 60/55w H4 bulb ($6.99):
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97099_601.htm

IPF Fat Boy II H4 bulb pair (79.99):
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_2200.htm

Osram Hyper White 70/65w OR 85/80w H4 bulb (Not DOT)($19.78):
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1404

Now, if you want even MORE power out of your headlights, whether they are completely stock, or higher wattage, you need an upgraded wiring harness with relays and a fuse. This bypasses that crappy 18 gauge or worse wiring, and upgrades it to 12 or 14 gauge with relays, and a fuse. This heavier gauge of wire allows more voltage to make it to the light, thus allowing the bulb to actually perform like the wattage says and increases the lumens output. I recommend this wiring harness from ARB for $99:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_2220.htm

My current setup are the Hella E-codes, Upgraded Wiring Harness w/ fuses & relays, Osram H4 bulbs in 85/80 watt. I have this on BOTH my Jeep and my motorcycle, and soon to be on my Chrysler Conquest TSi as well.

I'm running the Big Off-road harness, made by members here. It's simple (once I quit being a retard), and makes a huge difference in light output. Before, running the new lights on the stock harness, they were bright. Now, with the new harness, they're almost painful when it comes time to adjust them, or when I pull into the driveway and hit the white garage door with em. New harness is definitely worth the cash. I think I paid $70 when I got mine, don't know if that's changed at all.

i know a couple people whove had a lot of problems with the fatboys burning out. im running the eaautoworks harness on my jeep (with GE HO sealed beams) and on my subie, but a 40A version, with osram +90 nightbreakers. those are headlights.

i know a couple people whove had a lot of problems with the fatboys burning out. im running the eaautoworks harness on my jeep (with GE HO sealed beams) and on my subie, but a 40A version, with osram +90 nightbreakers. those are headlights.

me being one of them. i havent had an issue in the past 6 months surprisingly but im not holding my breathe with them.

When converting to halogens its almost trivial to base your decision on how much light is produced. I mean what ever K you get, it is going to be like 10000X brighter than halogens. You are splitting hairs in my opinion.

Wouldn't bet on that statement. My H4 produce about 3100 lumen on High and about 2400 on low. Compares quite nicely to the 3000 lumen the 4K HID does and beats the 6K and above. Of course the H4 draws about 4x the current and need to be replaced more often.

Wouldn't bet on that statement. My H4 produce about 3100 lumen on High and about 2400 on low. Compares quite nicely to the 3000 lumen the 4K HID does and beats the 6K and above. Of course the H4 draws about 4x the current and need to be replaced more often.
Well that and the lighting benefit to HID is getting the light to be in the same color range as daylight, which is what our eyes see best with. Less eye fatigue at night.

Well that and the lighting benefit to HID is getting the light to be in the same color range as daylight, which is what our eyes see best with. Less eye fatigue at night.

I have HID in the car and the high wattage Halogen in the Jeep. Frankly I fine the light color better in the Jeep. The slightly bluer light from the HID have more glare in rain and snow than the slightly more yellow Halogen. Also removal of blue light improves contrast which is why shooting glasses are yellow. This is with the 4K HID, the 6K bulbs would be even worse.

I just have some IPF H4 housings and some Xenon bulbs.. working on a upgraded harness for lights.

I just have some IPF H4 housings and some Xenon bulbs.. working on a upgraded harness for lights.
Hows the IPF housings, do they spread the light evenly? Rampage MSR's have hot spots. (brighter in two spots)

They do spread well from what I can tell , and NO the xenon bulbs do NOT have the blue tint. I made sure to get the super whites.

im not ready to do upgraded lenses yet, i still need to rewire my factorys with the new relays and bigger wires first... i also need to do the 4 guage upgrade for my alt/starter/batt/ground

im not ready to do upgraded lenses yet, i still need to rewire my factorys with the new relays and bigger wires first... i also need to do the 4 guage upgrade for my alt/starter/batt/ground

4 Gauge? What?

4 Gauge? What?

i was thinking about using 4 guage from the battery to the fuse box the little short 8" hop, then from the battery to the starter, then from the alt to the battery or however those wires go, i know you sell the kit and its said to be real clean, but idk if i have the funds to buy a ready made kit... i also want to do the hi/low relays for my factory lights to make them brighter and prepare them for aftermarket housings and bulbs.

looks as if I started a nice little thread on aftermarket lights... haha... I still haven't got any for mine yet, had to get tires and do some other work, so I put off buying those for a while..

i was thinking about using 4 guage from the battery to the fuse box the little short 8" hop, then from the battery to the starter, then from the alt to the battery or however those wires go, i know you sell the kit and its said to be real clean, but idk if i have the funds to buy a ready made kit... i also want to do the hi/low relays for my factory lights to make them brighter and prepare them for aftermarket housings and bulbs.

The relay upgrade is a good start. Will allow the use of high wattage bulbs once you go to the after market H4 buckets. You can do the whole job pretty cheap if you build your own setup rather than buying a kit.

The relay upgrade is a good start. Will allow the use of high wattage bulbs once you go to the after market H4 buckets. You can do the whole job pretty cheap if you build your own setup rather than buying a kit.

not really, the eautoworks kit is really cheap shipped, and it's one he'll of an upgrade.
Well worth the 30$, saves time too.

not really, the eautoworks kit is really cheap shipped, and it's one he'll of an upgrade.
Well worth the 30$, saves time too.

I've built my own kits for under $20 but for $10 difference it would be worth just getting a kit so you don't have to spend time finding the headlight connector.

You can't buy relays, sockets, headlight connectors, terminals, wire, loom, and fuseholders around here for less than $20. It was cheaper for me to order the Ebay harness (more commonly known as the one BOR claims to have custom made) than to buy the pieces. I really think the EAAutoworks and its clones are a good, cheap solution for a lot of folks, but that's just MHO.

Back