• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

OK so what I need to do is to run the tank low, dump 4oz of acetone in it, and then fill er up? Or fill er up and then add the acetone. I'm gonna try it now that so many have had positive results.

Everyone on NAXJA's said somethin, hell I guess I have to too. Alright, I went to the local wally world, and I picked up a bottle that says 100% pure acetone. Okay, then why when I look at the ingredients does it say, and I quote, "Acetone, Denatonium Benzoate"? Is this ssshtuff still okay to use?

Here's some interesting info on denatonium benzoate:

Ingredients Feedback Science Toys Ingredients --
Denatonium benzoate
Chemical Formula:

Synonyms
Bitrex

Description
White crystalline powder with an extremely bitter taste.

Uses
Denatonium benzoate gets its name from "denatured alcohol", and that is where it is often used. It is the bitterest tasting substance known. Specially Denatured alcohol 40, or SD-40, is ethanol denatured (made unfit for drinking) by a tiny amount denatonium benzoate.

Denatonium benzoate is an ester of PABA, and is related to lidocaine, benzocaine, novocaine, and cocaine.

It is used in deer repellant, nail polish (to discourage nail-biting), paints, antifreeze and windshield washing fluid (to prevent accidental ingestions), and to coat electrical cables to prevent rats from eating the insulation. Very dilute solutions are also used to coat children's thumbs to prevent thumb sucking.

Hmmmmm'

I stumbled on this thread yesterday and I figured what the hell?!?
I just picked up a new to me 87 with a rough idle and the classic tps high rev on start, I got it for a song because of this :laugh3: Anyway to make it short a fresh tank o' fuel and the required acetone and about a half hour of driving this thing really hard seems to have fixed it up pretty good. It's not perfect by any means but the high idle on start is *almost* gone and it's runnin way smoother. Time will tell I guess, but I was ready to throw a tps in it just for the hell of it.

Will report anything astounding that happens to this poor old neglected XJ as soon as I find it.

freewithfire said:
So the question is, do I want that in my engine?

I haven't found anything negative about it on the net, but that doesn't mean much. I told a mechanic friend about it and he thought I was nuts until I told him how much I put in...it's like 0.125%. He didn't think it would hurt anything at such a low concentration.

You could wait a year or two and see if any of us burn up any components in our engines.

so whats the word on repeat treatments? and those double-blind tests on the wifes truck?

Im assuming you have to add acetone to every fill up right? How are you guys measuring this stuff out?

ok i have been using acetone ever since this thread was started (about 10 days). here are my findings.

test vehicle
97' tj
2.5L 4 cyl
5 Spd
32" BFG's
4.11 Gears

Before testing tj was getting about 16.4 MPG. First test run went to 21.2 MPG, second run was 20.9, third run 20.8. When i first started i had a very bad hesitation when the jeep was cold i have been fighting it for sometime, it would happen when you would step on the gas it what almost stall like the engine had been turned off, i haven't been able to figure it out for over 3 mon. i thought that it could be a bad coolant temp sensor but after adding acetone i have noticed that it has improved quite abit. It is not gone but it is much better than it has been. I'm beggining to wonder if it could be clogged injectors. so for me that verfiys the cleaning aspect of the acetone claim. as for the millage i think that is self explanitory. i have been adding about 1.5 oz per 10 gal.

rumblebelly said:
I haven't found anything negative about it on the net, but that doesn't mean much. I told a mechanic friend about it and he thought I was nuts until I told him how much I put in...it's like 0.125%. He didn't think it would hurt anything at such a low concentration.

You could wait a year or two and see if any of us burn up any components in our engines.

Heh heh well, there is always that. 'Tis better to learn from the misfortunes of others than from your own. Eh, screw that. I'm gonna try it anyway :laugh3:

Yeeaa 100 posts!! Sorry, big milestone in my life...

Well I'm moved into the new place!
I used a 17' Uhaul. I got about 16.3 MPG in a truck that supposed to get 12 MPG.
I am going to up the Acetone to 2-1/2 oz. per 10 gallons and see what happens.

for all yall that have done this and reported a gain what ecetone/gas ratio did and what was your source for the acetone im goin to try this on my 2000 Durango with the 4.7, right now the computer is saying 12.8mpg with 31x10.5s and 355s

I have gone through one tank now on my 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. I do mostly city driving and was getting around 10.5-11mpg normally. I put 4oz in my tank at fillup and I'm getting 12.5-13 now. Now I've added 4oz to my Jeep and we'll see how that fairs.

Later,
Rough

BTW: I really flog my truck all the time so driving style is the same everywhere. I do all the maintenance on all my vehicles so I give them TLC(synthetic oil, K&N oil filters, platinum plugs, etc) to make up for it. :)

how many gallons of gass did you add the 4oz to?

BIG98XJ said:
for all yall that have done this and reported a gain what ecetone/gas ratio did and what was your source for the acetone im goin to try this on my 2000 Durango with the 4.7, right now the computer is saying 12.8mpg with 31x10.5s and 355s

Start with 2 oz. per 10 gallons.

I've talked to the mechanic at work about this subject and he told me they used to do this back in his racing days. He also said that it would destroy your engine. He told me it would eventually eat away at the metal.
I don't know what to believe anymore. I think I am going to try it. My 89 is gulping gas like ther'es no tomorrow.

Well it does strip paint and such, when it does that does it also take something off the metal? Is that how it takes paint off? I don't know, just a thought. That would explain if it ate away metal parts in engines. However i think in such small amounts it probably won't hurt too bad if it does have negative effects. And if it does hurt bad, there are gonna be a hell of a lot of XJs in the junkyards in 2 years... I think i am gonna give it a shot though, see what i get, my driving is too inconsistent to tell if i am getting an improvement or not unless its very significant.

From my fill-up experiences the XJ tank is like 16 gallons or so, right? So 3.5-4 oz. per fillup? I dunno, im curious, lets get a solid answer on negative effects. I suppose even just using it a few times every once in a while would help in terms of cleaning stuff out, once everything is clean you would get better mileage anyways.

I just recently used a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner through my '98. It seemed to pick up about 1.5-2 mpg in less than a weeks time, from 15.3 last week to 16.6 this week, with the same style of driving, using 4FT in the rain, carrying as many as 3 passengers on a couple of occasions too. I've put one last bottle in when I filled up today (at $2.21 a gallon :rattle: ) and I'll keep monitoring milege. I normally run about 14--15.5 average right now and have gone as high as 25mpg on the highway (Dad did some drafting trying to get the MPG as high as he could on that trip), and normal driving ranges from idling through parking lots at 10mph to well beyond anything posted, while getting gas from a variety of stations.

Back