• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

I got the evap leak fixed last Thursday. Jeep is running good now. My dad bought a TJ last Wednesday so I drove back home to give it a look over. He really scored with it. It came with an extra set of wheels and tires which I sold for him today. I have also ordered everything I need for hydro assist with the exception of fluid. I'm going to attempt it with the Durango box I have currently. I really wanted to do it with a stock XJ box so I could have the additional steering throw but I stumbled across a thread that explained how to remove the spacer in the Durango box which will allow for more travel. Hopefully all this works out and goes smoothly as I'm going to attempt to have it all done by the Jeep Jamboree which starts Oct. 6th. I will be out of town this weekend so I'll be doing what I can after work everyday to get it finished.

The box was reassembled Monday night. Last night I was able to get the ram tabs tacked on the diff cover, mounted the steering box, mounted the cooler, and ran the lines for the cooler. Since I live in an apartment at the moment, it is difficult to fab in the parking lot. I used the little flux core machine to tack the brackets on. At lunch today I removed the cover and took to work to finish weld. Pics of all that to come this evening

Hydro assist is finished. It is a little more touchy than before. It doesn't seem to be any easier turning when going down the road. I did test in 4 low with the hubs locked and was able to turn lock to lock just fine whereas before I struggled to turn. So far I'm pleased. I do believe a higher flow pump will be needed in the future with all the added volume of the ram.

Also, I found that the flex joint on the track bar needs to be rebuilt. I've ordered a rebuild kit and a track bar brace. Brace will be here tomorrow and the rebuild kit should be here Tuesday. I'll have to hustle to get that done as I'm leaving Wednesday for Jeep Jamboree USA. I'm going to be one of the trail guides. I also have to reinstall the front skid and do an oil change.

Put some hose zip tied to the hydro assist lines. It will save you from blowing one from rubbing.

I've been thinking of trying that mod. Do you remember how much larger you went? I've read a bunch of contradicting information.

No I don't actually. I think I went with the next size bit I had that would not fit in the hole. LOL!

The Rubicon Express track bar brace showed up today so I set about installing it. Seemed very straight forward but was anything but that. It was the biggest pain and I don't recommend it for anyone considering one. It would have been much easier to just build my own. None of the holes lined up. I had to take the track bar off, loosen all bolts for the bracket. Even then I had to tighten each bolt a little at a time to get it all to draw together. But, it's now on. All creaking has stopped so that's good. I also got the oil changed and mounted the front skid plate. She should be ready to go for Jeep Jamboree USA next week.

The Rubicon Express track bar brace showed up today so I set about installing it. Seemed very straight forward but was anything but that. It was the biggest pain and I don't recommend it for anyone considering one. None of the holes lined up.

That's probably because a 24 year old XJ isn't exactly showroom fresh after all these years. I put mine on way back when and it fit fine, but if I ever remove it I'll probably need a winch to pull the frame rails back together, haha.

That's probably because a 24 year old XJ isn't exactly showroom fresh after all these years. I put mine on way back when and it fit fine, but if I ever remove it I'll probably need a winch to pull the frame rails back together, haha.

This is true. I also completely forgot that I had cut and re welded the track bar bracket after the factory Rubicon Express welds failed.

Worked the Jeep Jamboree USA at Uwharrie this past weekend. It was very slick on the trails which made for an interesting day Friday. No damage to any of the participant's rigs but both the trail guide rigs decided to have a tree remove the passenger side mirror and "clearance" the doors. Saturday the Jamboree was canceled because the hurricane became too unsafe. We spent all day clearing trees from roadways, trails, and campsites. Sunday I was invited with UROTC to participate in GCM Tiny Truck Challenge. It was an RC crawler event that was an absolute blast. We got to drive some awesome scaled rigs through some very cool trails.

I'd like to go back there. There is a hill I owe some payback too.

So I've constantly had issues with the front brake calipers. Both have locked up on me twice. I don't have time to replace them before the Veterans ride this weekend so I am just going to buy some brake line plugs and if one locks up, I'll just remove the caliper and plug the line and run 3 calipers for this ride. Also, Sunday I am picking up a set of new(to me) seats. Scored some used Corbeau Baja Ultras for $150. I'm hoping to have them installed next week. I'm also searching for harnesses. I would prefer the latch style over the cam-lock so if anyone knows of a good place to order harnesses, let me know.

Pics of everything will come next week

Time to bring this up to date since I have done a terrible job over the past few months.

Back in February I got the blower motor to work, fixed the heater control valve, changed the oil and rotated the tires. My shop supervisor fell asleep on the job. I don't know how it was comfortable but he managed to pass out and wasn't too happy when I woke him up to move the Jeep.

After that I installed new shocks and looked over the whole rig for any issues before loading up for Uwharrie opening weekend. Unfortunately I found that I had spun the passenger side tube on the front axle. I cleaned it up, welded the plug welds and then the tube to the diff. After that it was time to take care of the real reason the tube spun...the radius arms. While Ford's radius arms work very well for on road vehicles, they really hurt articulation for offroad rigs (unless you make them very very long but that's another story). So, my plan was to install the wristed arm that I've had for well over a year now. I started work on this the Wednesday before opening weekend and finished it up Thursday evening, just in time to load up for the Jamboree. The increase in articulation was incredible. I am now in need of longer brake lines and limit straps.

We wheeled Big Creek during the day Saturday so that we could avoid all the traffic on the trails in the forest. We then ran trails in the forest Saturday evening as the sun was setting and late into the night. Unfortunately there are no photos of the evening run but here are some from Big Creek.

I then went to the Flats for the first time. It was an awesome trip although I came home with some damage. The driver side slider is bent pretty good, smashed the rear diff cover, blew a hole in the high pressure power steering line and blew out the output seals on the powers steering box.

I got the hose replaced and the box rebuilt. I also ordered a Solid diff cover for the rear.

When I installed the new cover I found some very bad signs in the diff fluid. You can see the metal flakes in the picture below. While the metal really concerns me, I decided I'd continue on with the cover install and fill it back up with fluid. Instead of simply rebuilding it, I have decided to just trailer it to the next few wheeling trips while I build a new rear to swap in. I've always wanted a smooth bottom 60 and found one in Raleigh for sale. It's out of an 88 E350. It's in great shape. Being a D60U, it has a smooth bottom, 3.5" diameter tubes with thick walls, and D70 spindles/hubs/brakes. I can now go to 35 spline shafts without having to bore the spindles. My tentative plan for it is to keep it drum brakes (so that I can have an ebrake again), gear to 4.88 and then a locker. Unsure if I will stay 30 spline or go to 35 spline at this time. Also unsure of the locker I want to run.

When I installed the new cover I found some very bad signs in the diff fluid. You can see the metal flakes in the picture below. While the metal really concerns me, I decided I'd continue on with the cover install and fill it back up with fluid. Instead of simply rebuilding it, I have decided to just trailer it to the next few wheeling trips while I build a new rear to swap in. I've always wanted a smooth bottom 60 and found one in Raleigh for sale. It's out of an 88 E350. It's in great shape. Being a D60U, it has a smooth bottom, 3.5" diameter tubes with thick walls, and D70 spindles/hubs/brakes. I can now go to 35 spline shafts without having to bore the spindles. My tentative plan for it is to keep it drum brakes (so that I can have an ebrake again), gear to 4.88 and then a locker. Unsure if I will stay 30 spline or go to 35 spline at this time. Also unsure of the locker I want to run.

You know Gubni sells e brake caliper kits.

Back