• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

After the trip this weekend, this intake is worth it. So before I give you my results, here's what I'm working with.

Stock 4.0
60mm throttle body
44/60 w/ 4.88s
37/12.5 BFG Bajas

So, I averaged 16 mpg with both hwy and city driving. 2200 rpm is the sweet spot. That's 65 mph. It no longer downshifts going up the hills on I-85 between Durham and Greensboro. Intake temps are way down and help with the overall engine temps. With the sound of the tires, music, and general jeep noises, the intake is not noticeable.

Did you see Nick up there at Pott's Mouontain? Can you share the info on that Cowl intake?

Yes, Nick wheeled with us. It was a great time.

What kind of info are you looking for? I'll try my best to answer any and all questions you may have.

Not quite what I was asking.... did you build it or was it a kit?

I found this in my search: http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

It was a kit made by Spectre a few years back. It is no longer made as a kit today. Nick had it laying around and sold it to me. I have been able to determine what parts would need to be ordered in order to build one yourself though. I can send you that list if you want.

It was a kit made by Spectre a few years back. It is no longer made as a kit today. Nick had it laying around and sold it to me. I have been able to determine what parts would need to be ordered in order to build one yourself though. I can send you that list if you want.

Yea that would be great. I'm researching some things and looking at a few changes.

Spectre 9833 67.56 1 Amazon 67.56
Spectre 8148 4.99 1 Amazon 4.99
Spectre 8791 19.99 1 Amazon 19.99
Spectre 9419 12.99 1 Amazon 12.99
Spectre 8771 6.99 2 Amazon 13.98

Here's the list of parts I came up with, prices, and where I sourced them. There may be a few tweaks you'll need to make but that should get you going.

Not much has been going on work wise on the jeep. I've just been wheeling every chance I get. I spent the past 3 weekends out at Uwharrie. First two weekends I was wheeling with friends. First weekend went perfectly smooth. No breaks or anything. The second weekend I decided to set the rear diff on a rock. This let the ear of the rear drive shaft hit the same rock along with the yoke. The rear drive shaft broke the retaining wall for the C-clip of the rear joint thus throwing a cap.

The yoke is fairly chewed up as well but I'm just gonna continue to run it. I got the driveshaft replaced the next day and then got the rig ready for this past weekend for 36 Hours of Uwharrie. Although I was registered for the event, I was unable to compete due to emergency financial issues on my teammates end. I was unable to find a replacement teammate in time. So, I worked the event instead. It was an awesome time.

Out of 18 teams, only 15 made it to the end of the event. 2 were out the first day and the 3rd dropped later Saturday afternoon. There was a good deal of damage done to some of the rigs. One had to be recovered from the trails but was able to redneck rig it back together and limp it to the finish line. I will definitely be competing next year and will make sure to have multiple people lined up to complete with me in case something happens like this year.

Since the weather has been fantastic this week I decided to get a few things done. First on the list was to figure out what was wrong with my Hi-Lift. The handle would hang out when lifting the jeep up and the pins wouldn't release when trying to let it down. Stripped it completely apart, cleaned it, and lubed it and now it works like new. Next on the list was installing the headliner. I have gotten very tired of all the head radiation from the roof without it. Took some work and some cutting to get it back in with the cage but its now there. It's far from pretty but it will do the job. I'll get some pics when I get off work today.

Next on the list is replacing worn out heims in the steering. I've had replacement joints for quite some time but never got around to installing them.

Forgot to take pics of the inside. I did some wheeling today. Went well on the trails and the troubles started on the drive home with a hellasous storm. I found the big flaw in the cowl intake. Under a heavy enough rain, the cowl fills with enough water for the intake to pull it in. Thanks to this I spent 30 minutes under a bridge taking the intake apart to dry it out and then reroute it elsewhere.

Participated in the CTB Fun Caravan this past weekend. After the games we wheeled Big Creek. I'm still having issues with my power steering pump and have an fuel evaporation leak. It was a fun time.

What issues are you having with your power steering? I went through that.

Right now I believe I am overheating the pump. It has happened a few times before and I have held off on doing anything as I plan to get another box and tap it for hydro assist. I'll also replace the pump and add a cooler. I already have the cooler. I'm just trying to find a stock steering box for cheap. Everywhere I look people are asking $50-60 for them. I'm trying to find one in the $30 range since I'm just going to tear it down and rebuild it anyways.

Right now I believe I am overheating the pump. It has happened a few times before and I have held off on doing anything as I plan to get another box and tap it for hydro assist. I'll also replace the pump and add a cooler. I already have the cooler. I'm just trying to find a stock steering box for cheap. Everywhere I look people are asking $50-60 for them. I'm trying to find one in the $30 range since I'm just going to tear it down and rebuild it anyways.

I have 2 on the shelf. Come get one and bring me $25 or 2 six packs of a local beer. IPA, Porters, and Stouts are my favorite! :gee:

If you weren't 2 hours away I would take you up on that in a heartbeat.

Get a group together and come to Broken Nut and you are over half way there........

I like the sound of that. I'll see who's available and when and be sure to get up with you.

Just let me know. I can bring the box and meet you guys there. :clap:

Back