• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

Is that a rear 60? I have leaky outer axle flanges for a while and tried to fix it for a while. I found out the bolts were toast and kept working there way loose after every ride. I replaced all 16 with grade 8 bolts and washers and RVT'd them and they are currently holding. You going to be at URE Saturday?

I have one stud that has stripped and I drilled a hole and plug welded it into the hub. It's all holding now well now. I came over and said hello yesterday but only saw you one other time before I left and that was just in quick passing at the double parking lot. I'll be back out there with whole weekend for he jamboree.

I have one stud that has stripped and I drilled a hole and plug welded it into the hub. It's all holding now well now. I came over and said hello yesterday but only saw you one other time before I left and that was just in quick passing at the double parking lot. I'll be back out there with whole weekend for he jamboree.

Was good to see you and the jeep!

Yesterday I got the track bar mount pulled. I found the welds ripping on both sides of the mount. I also noticed that it was only welded on the exterior and not the interior. I had a buddy check his mount and his was fully welded inside and out. I guess I just got one that missed a step in the assembly process. Oh well. I then took it over to Yates Speed Shop, cut the bracket up, ground it down, and then welded it all back up. I made sure to weld it inside and out. I'm also planning to make a brace very similar to RE's one they sell for their track bars.

Cool build! Yours is exactly where I was heading with mine at one point. I've decided to keep mine a baby for a good while longer and try to get it more street-friendly than it has been since I bought it. Maybe one day I'll revisit those big plans lol

Good to see someone else documenting their progress!
:cheers:

Cool build! Yours is exactly where I was heading with mine at one point. I've decided to keep mine a baby for a good while longer and try to get it more street-friendly than it has been since I bought it. Maybe one day I'll revisit those big plans lol

Good to see someone else documenting their progress!
:cheers:

Thanks bud. This has been quite the project. I still keep it tagged and drive it to the trails.

After a lot of searching, I came up empty handed on a replacement bushing for the track bar that would work with a 3/4" bolt. I ended up just ordering a RE replacement bushing and planned to drill it out. While I waited for it to show up, I made a sleeve from some scrap steel we had at work. I machined it to a 1" OD and 3/4" ID. I was going to use 1" .120 wall DOM but the issue with that is the .010" slop that would be between the sleeve and the bolt. The bushing showed up Saturday so I got it machined out for the 1" sleeve and assembled it all today at lunch. I also picked up a new bolt and nylock.

I got the track bar on last night. Because the front is stretched, I couldnt get a socket on the track bar mount bolts next to the coil. My solution was the jack the front end up and let the coils droop out of the way. Worked great.

Also, I decided it was a good time to start to finish this hybrid cage that needs to get done. I had some scrap 1.75" .120" DOM laying around that was just long enough for the rear interior. I can't call it a D pillar because the jeep is a 2 door and I can't call it a C pillar because its not close enough to the rear hatch so the joke of the night was I was making a B and a half pillar.

I'll get more pics this afternoon.

Nice!

Oh, the seat belts and rear seat is coming out permanently. If anyone is in need/wants a rear grey vinyl seat and seat belts, they're free. Seat is in great shape. One minor tear on bottom and the back has some black paint on it where my dog decided to stand on a can of spray paint.

Made a deal with a local club member and I will be picking up a set of military 37s to get me by. I'm basically trading my worn out 38s for some Goodyear MT's with good tread. I had all the intentions of buying a new set of tires but it seems whenever I'm ready to pull the trigger, life throws a wrench at me.

Got the military tires mounted. I went to URE this past Saturday to just do some putting around and see how these tires do. My dad rode with me and it was his first time but he really enjoyed it. Walked up the front side of Daniel with no issues. Saved 2 rigs from rolling, one on the first ledge of Daniel and the other on Rocky Mt. Loop. All in all it was a good day until the drive home. I couldn't keep the engine temps below 210 even with the heater running and the aux fan on so I've ordered a new water pump and tstat since it has been a good number of years since I last replaced them. I'll also be doing a complete flush while I'm changing them out.

I went to a club meeting last night and drove the jeep. All went well until I pulled into my apartment complex. As I pulled in I could hear a noise that sounded like an air leak but it only happened with rotation of the tires. Did a little digging and found a cut in one of the side walls of the MT's I just mounted. I had seen the cut when I installed them but checked the inside of the tire to find it had not gone all the way through. I'm guessing with airing down at URE and then driving on them, it has worked it's way through. I will be patching that tire(both inside and out), and then swapping it with my spare. Hopefully I can get that done tonight so I can do the cooling system work Thursday and then make it to the work day this weekend.

All in all it was a good day until the drive home. I couldn't keep the engine temps below 210 even with the heater running and the aux fan on so I've ordered a new water pump and tstat since it has been a good number of years since I last replaced them. I'll also be doing a complete flush while I'm changing them out.

I would say that is normal but the fact you had the heater on blast is crappy. I know there is a split between people liking and hating the all metal CSF 3 row radiator but I have put it in my cherokee and my sisters stock 99 cherokee and they have flat out worked.

I think the tstats are from the dealership like 190* but never have I tipped over 210 in a long time and if it does the efan comes on and brings it back down. No high flow water pump or anything fancy. Just NAPA parts besides dealer tstat and CSF radiator. AC in the summer is wonderful :yelclap:

I would say that is normal but the fact you had the heater on blast is crappy. I know there is a split between people liking and hating the all metal CSF 3 row radiator but I have put it in my cherokee and my sisters stock 99 cherokee and they have flat out worked.

I think the tstats are from the dealership like 190* but never have I tipped over 210 in a long time and if it does the efan comes on and brings it back down. No high flow water pump or anything fancy. Just NAPA parts besides dealer tstat and CSF radiator. AC in the summer is wonderful :yelclap:

I have been lucky and my jeep very very rarely sees 210 much less go over it. I have a 180* tstat in right now and another one on the way to replace it. I've had very good luck with a stock radiator. The first one lasted 20 years and I'm now 4 years in on this one. One thing I have considered as a very possible reason for the temp increase is my intake. When I did the axle swap, I had to ditch the stock intake box to make room for the larger master cylinder. I just threw a cheap cone filter on and there is no heat shield between it and the exhaust. I believe my IATs have gone very high because of this. After doing the water pump and tstat, the plan is to do a cowl induction intake and hood louvers to hopefully resolve that.

Replaced the water pump and tstat yesterday as well has did a complete coolant flush. Old coolant was quite nasty. The water pump that came off was in great shape so I'll keep it as a spare. The old tstat was not a fail safe tstat so I believe it may have been stuck closed. Running 55-60 down the highway temps sit right at 190. On a long steep climb the temps reach a max of 215 and then drop right back down. I'm very happy with it now. It's just about ready for the pots mountain run next month.

I also picked up another set of wheels and tires Friday. I think I'm just going to stick with military tires here on out. They are cheap and easily accessible. These are BFG Baja's on 15x8.5 wheels.

Got the BFGs mounted on the jeep. With the narrower wheel they look tiny although they are the same size as the Goodyears I just took off. Also, with a big thanks to Nick, I'll have a cowl intake tomorrow hopefully. Plan is to get it installed this weekend. Then all that's left is to make sure everything is tight and it'll be done before the Pots trip.

Last edited:
Back