• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ wont crank over!

branch said:
Re: '89 XJ wont crank over!.............'89....hrm.... i may just be a blond but I assumed that was the year of his xj ;)

Ah. Probably where I got the assumption that it was RENIX, then...:laugh:

"If we weren't all crazy, we'd all go insane." -Jimmy Buffett, Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

REQUESTED CLARIFICATION

''Crank, no start'' - The starter motor turns, but thats it. Not even a hitch when it tries to start, not a pop, or startand stubble straight away, butwont stay running. What do i need to fix/change or clean up? to run!

'89 Cherokee Laredo/4WD/Automatic/4DR/3.5'' RE kit/32's Mastercraft MT's.

Sorry, for this long thread.. just get a little upset when something hay wire goes on....I know its a jeep thing....Dont get me wrong I LOVE XJ's to death.
Its like my steady gf.

xjfrankie

Last edited:
No reverse lights is usually another hint of bad "dirty" NSS
xjfrankie said:
''Crank, no start'' - The starter motor turns, but thats it. Not even a hitch when it tries to start, not a pop, or startand stubble straight away, butwont stay running.
??? this is a little contradictory or is it just me

Thanks for everyones HELP here. I appreciate very much.

All of the sudden woke up this morning wiggled some connections from the distributor and the 2 coil connections and it fired right up. It was strange....
I think...need to change spark plugs look a little old.

xjfrankie

xjfrankie said:
Thanks for everyones HELP here. I appreciate very much.

All of the sudden woke up this morning wiggled some connections from the distributor and the 2 coil connections and it fired right up. It was strange....
I think...need to change spark plugs look a little old.

xjfrankie

OK - the connectors to the ignition controller are standard Delphi Weatherpacks - you can get tools to service them and crimp connectors at a well-stocked parts house. The crimper for them is a bit spendy - and I don't suggest using a different version, since the Weatherpacks can be a bit picky about crimps. However, those terminals can be replaced without making it look like a hack job.

The only connection I can think of coming out of a RENIX distributor is the connector for the SYNC sensor. I'm not sure what style it is, and I've not seen a sensor go bad yet - but I suppose it's possible for the terminals to get stupid. Problem is, you have to pull the distributor to replace it (that's assuming you fiddled with the three-wire connector coming out the side of the distributor body.) If you fiddled with the plug wires, then you can just replace those and call it a day.

Plugs? Most people here advocate Champion truck plugs - but I've been using Autolite Platinum for years with no ill effects. The AMC six doesn't seem to like the "sooper-dooper" plugs you can get - and it really doesn't care for the Bosch Platinum (I think it's the shrouded centre conductor tip that it doesn't like. APs are built like regular plugs, with an open centre conductor.)

No amc jeeps and fords (which have similar iggy systems) do not like bosch plugs. Besides the bosch platniums foul out wasy cause there is a small surface area in the middle of the ceramic. I like running autolite platniums (champion copper are the OEM plug) Yahoo's behind the counter who don't know jeeps, may try and sell the bosch plugs to you, that is just because bosch does alot of sales contests for those guys to try and win. Been there done that.

branch said:
No amc jeeps and fords (which have similar iggy systems) do not like bosch plugs. Besides the bosch platniums foul out wasy cause there is a small surface area in the middle of the ceramic. I like running autolite platniums (champion copper are the OEM plug) Yahoo's behind the counter who don't know jeeps, may try and sell the bosch plugs to you, that is just because bosch does alot of sales contests for those guys to try and win. Been there done that.

thats funny Ive run Bosch platinums for ever in my jeeps without issue except on the 96 that had a bad head gasket

I've had Bosch Plat. for 20k, going to try Champ copper (OEM) after I Seafoam the top end.

Back