• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Link on the front of an xj

I don't really see any major problems with it. There is no inherent bind in a triangulated 4 link, no reason it can't be used in the front just as is common in the back.

Are you kidding me?

The execution isn't bad, I'll give it that.

But god damn if you try and couple a mechanical steering linkage to a 4-link front. Physics owns you.

Sorry for not saying that it is still being finished up. That steering was on before the 4link and so I left it on to be able to move it around the shop. It's getting either a howe setup or an agr setup. Leaning towards the Howe setup. The pinion angle change is very minimal aswell. If there was any bind then I would have found it when I cycled it when it was tack welded in. And I dont know wtf happend to my pics. Think I need to change my host.

The left upper arm is pre bent to clear the diff upon up travel. and from just the ride in the parking lot to make algnment adjustments it rides quite nice. Unconvential yes, but it works. The lower links are from teraflexs xj longarm kit. Specs on the jeep are d44 in the rear with 4.88s and ox locker,D30 int he front with upgraded axles 488s and obviously an ox locker. 4.0 ho motor. steering box brace, arb bull bar,warn 8kwinch, kc light rack. Bumper isn't on right now. It should work quite well when done. Rear is from the rubicon express 5.5 kit. It will be running 35x12.50x17 bfg project corr tires on 17inch kmc beadlocks. Itw will also have a interior cage made out of 1.50inchx.120wall dom tubing. May get a d44 before i weld the upper lca bracket on though.

Pics will keep going along with the build, will probably be a month before I'm done. Have to finish the ranger I'm building aswell.
IMG_1307-2.jpg

DSC_00566.jpg

here is another example or triangulated front

the problem with this one is that both arms of the UCA are parallel ( NO TRIANGULATION HERE ) & will definitely shear the mounts off the unibody. Could have been better if the UCA mounts were outboard of the frame which would have given him more angle, but here it is anyway

19_326954103_0_ALB103.jpg

19_326954103_0_ALB106.jpg

19_hbone36113.jpg

19_hbone48116.jpg

3rd_link_bushing_mount2.jpg

DSC04169r.jpg

DSC04170r.jpg

DSC04172r.jpg

Dsc04156.jpg

Frontshot.jpg

Last edited:

You realize there are at least 3 different rigs in there, right?

Not sure what you mean by "the problem with this one is that both arms of the UCA are parallel".

If the upper mounted to the outside of the frame it would probably hit the tire when they turned.

Billy

Billy, I think it might be same rig .. just pictures taken at different times.

:dunno:

The two with the "smurf blue" links are are VintageSpeed's...
19_326954103_0_ALB103.jpg

19_326954103_0_ALB106.jpg

The next two with the rolled bends are Beezil's...
19_hbone36113.jpg

19_hbone48116.jpg

I believe this one is one of WanderingWilly's revisions...
3rd_link_bushing_mount2.jpg

The next 4 are from 87xjco's "Xota"...
DSC04169r.jpg

DSC04170r.jpg

DSC04172r.jpg

Dsc04156.jpg

I just can't place this one at the moment.
Frontshot.jpg

I'm a reformed wishbone 3 link e-stalker
biggrin.gif

Billy

Back