• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30th Anniversary Event?

Out of curiosity, how would some of you who traveled a thousand miles or more feel about morning and afternoon trails? If I were making a trip of a lifetime (or at least a decade) I would try and pack in as many trails as possible while I was there. It would also create an opportunity where if the morning trail was full you could try and catch the same trail in the afternoon on the same or another day. As Wayne mentioned, we would need more people to step up and lead trails.

I think an 8 o'clock start on some of the trails, with something early afternoon (2 pm ?) would make for a good day.

Some of the longer trails you couldn't do, but most of the time we stopped for lunch and pictures and still came back to town at 2:30 or 3. If you hurried up a little, you could make it back for lunch and then get started on something else in the afternoon.

Saturday isn't a good meter of attendance. The only folks left in the campground are one day's drive away from Moab.

A lot of the trails that I thought were popular (hell's revenge, steel bender, poison spider mesa, golden spike, etc) were only run once or twice. So if you're a dumbass like me and are in Moab for the first time and have no idea where you're going, it's hard to run a trail by yourself or with other people who are also there for the first time.

I'm not knocking anyone who led trails, everyone did an awesome job. I had an awesome time. I just think if we're going to plan the next one, we should take a closer look at running the most popular trails more often, especially for folks who might only make it out there once or twice.

It's always a balance of trails and volunteers to lead trails. If you take a look at the trail list, there were many who led multiple trails, so they've committed their time in Moab to make the experience better for those new to the area.

Also, this thread asked for feedback from attendees on what trails they wanted to see on the schedule http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945444 ......don't see any posts from you? Good feedback, sounds like you had a fun time and would like to do things a little differently next time. This will be a great reference source for whomever is in charge of the next Moab Fall Fling event.

Out of curiosity, how would some of you who traveled a thousand miles or more feel about morning and afternoon trails? If I were making a trip of a lifetime (or at least a decade) I would try and pack in as many trails as possible while I was there. It would also create an opportunity where if the morning trail was full you could try and catch the same trail in the afternoon on the same or another day. As Wayne mentioned, we would need more people to step up and lead trails.

Yeah something like that might work. I know on Fins and Things we were back by 2pm which could've been pushed up a little quicker with an earlier start and no lunch.

Also, this thread asked for feedback from attendees on what trails they wanted to see on the schedule http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945444 ......don't see any posts from you?

See previous statement about my dumbassness.

We didn't start looking at our wells book until we were on the way out there, since we had 2150 miles one way to entertain ourselves. When we got to the registration table on tuesday, what we wanted to run was filled up.

Of course, had I known that people were no showing at the staging areas, we would have shown up and ran them with the group anyways. Like I said, I had no idea what I was doing my first time in Moab.

Josh

See previous statement about my dumbassness.

We didn't start looking at our wells book until we were on the way out there, since we had 2150 miles one way to entertain ourselves. When we got to the registration table on tuesday, what we wanted to run was filled up.

Of course, had I known that people were no showing at the staging areas, we would have shown up and ran them with the group anyways. Like I said, I had no idea what I was doing my first time in Moab.

Josh

Just busting your chops a little...... like I said, good feedback for the next run.

Josh, the IC will most likely be making another run in the spring each year too! You're more than welcome to join us as mob schedule and funding permit! I might even be willing to meet you down there pretty much anytime and we can run whatever! LOL

Yeah something like that might work. I know on Fins and Things we were back by 2pm which could've been pushed up a little quicker with an earlier start and no lunch.

It's hard to guage things sometimes and double runs per day might cause problems. I went with Derek in May on a 2~3hr run... and it turned into FDR cause we took FOREVER to limp of the trail. This could mean that some folks get stuck on a short run and not make their next run (not a big deal) but it could also mean that the trail leader is MIA on another run and I don't think it'd be fair to ask trail leaders to take it easy on earlier in the day runs so that they could make it to the next run to lead it.

During the event there are always unofficial runs. There is always someone going on a run. Hanging around the camp and asking if anyone is doing anything in the afternoon is always a great opportunity to pick up additional trails. Last year I think I was only on 1 or 2 official trails. Everything else was just hanging out and going wheeling in a small unofficial group.

Josh, the IC will most likely be making another run in the spring each year too! You're more than welcome to join us as mob schedule and funding permit! I might even be willing to meet you down there pretty much anytime and we can run whatever! LOL

I wish I could. Unfortunately, The Man is sending me to some lousy place in April for 7 months or so.

Maybe a Moab party when I get back :cheers:

I still get people who say "I met you in Moab in 2003" and I'm pretty sure they think meeting me was when I slopped food on their plate.
Look at all the happy NAXJA people you met!

orig.jpg

I met your Cherokee in 2008. :D

The one thing I regret about the 25th AE was not getting to run trails I wanted to run.

I could have ran them on my own and I know that the trail leaders are all awesome people that volunteer their time...

...A lot of the trails that I thought were popular (hell's revenge, steel bender, poison spider mesa, golden spike, etc) were only run once or twice. So if you're a dumbass like me and are in Moab for the first time and have no idea where you're going, it's hard to run a trail by yourself or with other people who are also there for the first time.

I don't know why out of 200 people coming to the event that we only had 10 or so people to commit to leading a trail. Believe it or not, prior experience is not necessary to lead a trail at the Fall Fling. Every year I lead at least one trail that I have never done. With the exception of Strike Ravine in '06 it has gone pretty well. This year it was Dome Plateau. That trail is 33 miles long, through some of the most lightly traveled lands in the Moab area, which I had never seen before except on Google Earth. Get a good GPS and learn how to use it, you too can lead a trail for NAXJA. All I did was follow a magenta line on the screen of my Garmin. Little did these people know, I had never been on this trail before:
orig.jpg

I have lead runs on most of the trails on the Fall Fling schedule, I would be happy to aid you (or anybody else who desires) in any way I can so you can lead the trail of your choice. You can be "a dumbass like me and are in Moab for the first time and have no idea where you're going" and one of those "awesome people that volunteer their time" all at once! :D

NAXJA is good people. Even when I was completely lost on that disastrous first trip through Strike Ravine people were encouraging and helped me get through the day.

Sooo, now that you have been to Moab... which trail would you like to lead in 2009? :thumbup:

that disastrous first trip through Strike Ravine

:bs: That was one of the funnest trails I have done in years. U-turns included!!! We all knew it was your first time through. I thought we made the best of it. I'm just happy we were able to do it beofre the rain really started.

If you move the FF so I can come, I'll lead a trail. Otherwise, you'll need to send everyone with me to afghanistan. :looney:

I think the Armor on my XJ is inefficient to the task, but the rocks do look good.

C'mon folks, enough hijacking this thread with talk about food at the dinner. Let it go! This thread is about doing it again in 5 years, and who plans to make it. :)

Amen to that !!! I will be there, had a great time my 12 year old daughter thought it was going to be soooo boring until she saw a rig roll over going down on Hell's Gate.

Back