• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

I was thinking either rhino-liner on the whole thing or a matte black vinyl wrap.

Anyway next 3 immediate things to be done are getting a shifter solution, exhaust built (with cat and muffler), and passing inspection. After that will be shifter paddles, 3" lift, and new tires on the TT Supra rims. 17" x 10" in the rear and 17" x 8.5" up front. Gonna be sick.
yuck, rino liner looks like crap and is pretty much irreversible. it's going to look like someone parked it in a barn fire. wraping isnt cheap, you can get a single stage paint job for less than that and it'll last longer/look better. you can even get it done in flat black.
sweet motor swap though, nice job.

Any chance you could use an obd2 ecu? I don't know how easy those are to swap on toyota stuff.

Jeep is a 96. I don't know the exact year of the ECU, but it's pre-96. I treat it like a 94 MKIV motor and everything fits.

I just want it as flat and durable as possible.

So I went to get an alignment and she's all f'ed up. I need 2 new tie rod ends, the adjusting sleeve, and a track arm. Anyone happen to have any of those laying around? :) Also, will stock components be adequate for a 3"-4" lift?

I just want it as flat and durable as possible.

So I went to get an alignment and she's all f'ed up. I need 2 new tie rod ends, the adjusting sleeve, and a track arm. Anyone happen to have any of those laying around? :) Also, will stock components be adequate for a 3"-4" lift?

were you getting wobble or steering play? Cuz that sounds like BS to me...

Yes. Damn thing is wonky as hell. It was accidentally pulled about 50 meters by the track arm/adjusting sleeve instead of the axle housing, which slightly bent the adjusting sleeve, and the ball joint where the track bar connects is done.

ohhh ok well that makes sense then lol.

by track arm I assume you mean drag link (runs from the pitman arm to the passenger wheel)?

If so then yes stock components are adequate.

At 4" of lift the track bar can have a new hole drilled on the axle mount for the bolt, but I would get a good adjustable if you need to replace it anyways.

Tie rod I would replace with one from a V8 4x4 ZJ (Grand Cherokee). It's bigger around and solid.
Part #s: ES3096L (TRE), ES2079S (sleeve), DS1312 (tie rod w/ built in TRE)

Ok. Know a good source off-hand?

Looks like I want a drag link kit and an adjustable track bar.

Last edited:
any auto parts store - those are Moog part numbers. At the very least they should be able to cross reference the numbers to their supplier's.

So I'm rolling the dice here and I'm going to see if I can mount this steering wheel on the Jeep steering shaft so I can has paddle shifters. :) It's from a Chevy Malibu LTZ.

GOPR0240.jpg

GOPR0242.jpg

Last edited:
how are you going to control the aw4 with that? There's no manumatic ability that i know of?

@boatdude: Thanks! Not my 280 though, that was a customers at a shop I used to work at. Time and money...everything is time and money. :/

@dukie: There will be soon. The plan is to take the system I'm working on and make it so anyone can use whatever they want to control the up and down shifting. Could use switches. Could use buttons. I want paddles, and I want it to look OEM. Black leather steering wheel with paddles would look good in my XJ. Hopefully the spline count and shaft size are compatible. I'll find out in a day or so. This might be wishful thinking on my part...at least with this specific wheel.

Back